The Bar Towel Forum Index The Bar Towel
Ontario's Premier Beer Resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hockley Stout
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torontoblue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with drinking a stout/porter/mild in hot weather? These 3 styles are great all year round beers; unless of course you listen to the advertisers and then only light coloured beer should be consumed in hot weather, jeez.......... No wonder the craft brewers have a hard time here!!!!!
viggo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it pretty light/watery. Better than a Guinness but it lacked some character for me.
Belgian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Stout. It is not an Imperial Russian Stout. I don't know if I'd call it 'watery' for a Stout.

Other 'Dark" beers I wil be shamelessly enjoying this summer are: King Dark (Dunkel Lager) Hockley Dark and Neustadt 10w-30 (Brown Ale) Wellington Iron Duke (English Strong) and Scotch Irish's excellent Plain Porter whenever it gets here.

How's that for covering a few style categories?
Torontoblue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least someone else isn't blinkered
pootz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far from watery....it has some decent malts and a good body...it just isn't an alcohol bomb. If this were canned and available widely at premiun beer prices I would certainly drink it over Guinness...this is a mild toasty-malty stout.
Belgian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torontoblue wrote:
At least someone else isn't blinkered

I'm blinkered about LOTS of things. I just don't know what they are yet!
viggo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what it is, and I think its pretty mediocre for the style. It became a bit tedious after a while.
runes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figure if jamaicans can drink dragon stout in their hot weather, why can't we enjoy a stout in ours? summer drinks do not have to be flavourless or fruity.
Al of Kingston

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a good take on stout but I was shocked at the price. At $9.95 for one litre that is the equivalent of a six pack of twenty bucks! Hardly worth it however nicely packaged in the swing top or however well made. This beer should be sold for $4.99 or $5.99 at the most. If it can't be sold at that price, there is a problem along the line somewhere of someone's share of cost.
lagerale

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al of Kingston wrote:
This beer should be sold for $4.99 or $5.99 at the most. If it can't be sold at that price, there is a problem along the line somewhere of someone's share of cost.

I remember buying a few bottles of the Hockely dark directly from the brewery a while back and there was a 3 or 4 dollar deposit on the bottle at the time. When I saw the same beer/bottle for sale at the LCBO, they sold for the same price, but no mention of the hefty bottle deposit. I like the bottle, but not the premium bottle price.

Interestingly, the swing top bottle Hockely are using is the same one Loblaws uses for one of their bbq sauces (that sells for 3.99, bottle included!) - however they probably get the bottles for significantly less.
Al of Kingston

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy F*%#!!! If they have added 4 bucks for the packaging they deserve to be roasted.
Belgian

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-std bolltes are often a a 'big deal' cost-wise regardless of the contents. Maybe it's the small shipments and higher handling cost.

What's funny is the LCBO don't define a $3.00 deposit as part of the $10 cost, so they hide the 'real' deposit price in that cost & then slap on a 20 cent on top of that. 'Standardized deposit' you see, this is not Hockley's fault.

In this case I would just buy this beer, accept the cost of the bottles, and gift them empty to friends who make craft beer at home. Is this Hockley Stout worth $7.00 for the 1 liter of contents? Sure it is - they make good beer. Passing on the bottles is good beer karma.

Let's buy enough of this so they put it in cans!
Al of Kingston

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Instead, I won't buy it again as the decision as to packaging was made by the brewer. Throw it in to a 22 oz bomber and half the price, please. If you need to contract out the bottling do that, please. But don't add 66% of your unit cost to packaging and expect a repeat customer.
Wheatsheaf

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. It's a nice beer, I enjoyed it, and I'd like to drink it again, but I'd rather pay for the beer and not the packaging--the same criticism I'd level at Rogue for ditching 12oz bottles in favour of 750ml ceramics for their XS beers and jacking up the price.

Another thing about the Hockley Stout: don't the bottles seem underfilled? Four inches of airspace seems excessive.
lagerale

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has been to the brewery recently, maybe they can confirm this.

I recall Amsterdam sold their framboise in a fancy 750ml or 1L bottle for about $10 (was it ceramic?) at one point. Not sure if there was ever a deposit at the brewery, but it was quite unique bottle. But I agree with most here, I'd gladly pay a premium for good beer, but not for a bottle!

As for the bottle looking underfilled, I'd agree in the context that the neck was empty, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that there is at least 1000ml in there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bar Towel Forum Index -> Beer Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: