The Bar Towel Forum Index The Bar Towel
Ontario's Premier Beer Resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grand River Mill Race Mild
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
midlife crisis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Grand River Mill Race Mild Reply with quote

Thought I would start a new thread on this -- as noted in the Grand River Grand Opening thread, this and the Town Hall Lager are now available in growlers at the brewery. I picked up the Mild yesterday and I am thoroughly enjoying it today. 3.5% alc/volume, so it's a quaff-all-afternoon type of beer. Dark brown, malty with low hopping levels (true to the style, I gather) and very good for what it is. Reminds me of the long lost, and lamented, F&M Mild. This and C'est What's MBA are Ontario's only milds, to my knowledge.
Torontoblue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really really really looking forward to this beer arriving in the GTA. It's about time a brew got around to doing this style of beer on a regular basis and not following the pack and over-hopping everything to death. A 3.5% beer just makes me drool . If it's half as good as the mild from Pepperwoods then they are on to an absolute winner. Bring it on!!!!!!
kinguy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped by the brewery late yesterday afternoon and picked up a growler. Gone by early Sunday afternoon. Excellent beer for drinking on a sunny summer day. Nice and malty with low carbonation. Once this hits mainstream distribution, it should kick any low alcohol beer's ass.
Torontoblue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinguy wrote:
it should kick any low alcohol beer's ass.

I'd like to think it will kick high alcohol beer's arse too! Don't forget, beer is all about flavour not alcohol. In my opinion, of course
kinguy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torontoblue wrote:
kinguy wrote:
it should kick any low alcohol beer's ass.

I'd like to think it will kick high alcohol beer's arse too! Don't forget, beer is all about flavour not alcohol. In my opinion, of course

Agreed. I was thinking more of the people who say they drink light beer because of the lower alcohol content/fewer calories.
Torontoblue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Volo have this on tap right now. Must go..............................

What a fantastic beer. I was expecting to see a dark mild (ala the Pepperwoods Mild) but was pleasantly surprised to see that it is in fact the lighter coloured Ruby Mild and not the horrid Mild Brown Ale that some pass as a mild in these parts!! The flavours were fantastic. A nice slight roastyness with a hint of sweetness in there too. Very very quaffable and exceedingly easy to drink all night long, which I did and managed to down about 10 pints of the stuff during the evening. It was like being on a proper English pub night out and having loads of beer and not falling over drunk. I just feel that the beer snobs will be put off by the low alcohol of 3.5% as surely a beer this low can't have flavour (as one drinker was in Volo last night)!! Well, it leaves more for me

Brava to Grand River!!!
Belgian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping in mind that's like drinking three high-ABV Belgians, it is not too outrageus drinking ten pints of Mild. In fact the thing I like least about beer is feeling too bogged down with alcohol - it's annoying to have to get those toxins out of my system, cos I'm too impatient. Wish I could just press a RESTART button on my liver!

I may try that Mild later today.
pootz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fairly true to style mild ale. Fresh and tastey enough...good quencher. I particularly like the very subtle but detectable, mild astringence from roasted barley...like a subtle cocoa-coffee taste that rides in on the malts.

Good effort even though Mild ales are not my bag.
lister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading that the Grand River beers were off the tap list at the GTA's, I just had to head up to Volo on Friday night and hope it was on tap still. Indeed it was. What a very nice pleasurable drink. I had two. I have a second Ontario session beer now.

I do hope the Grand River folks will can/bottle this for LCBO retail. I'd much rather have this than Newcastle when I fancy me a brown ale.
Al of Kingston

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stopped in at Grand River this weekend and were very happy with the beers, especially the mild. Apparently their plan is to focus on quality lower strength beers with all four being sessionably below 4.7%. The mild was extremely rich for a 3.5% ale. Nutty and grainy. Worth the drive to Cambridge.
Derek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if their current liscence limits the alcohol by volume?

Though with growler sales only, these sessionable brews might be wise.

On the other hand, I left a pint & a half of the mild for the next day, and it was a shadow of its former self. I thought it was REALLY good fresh, but the next day it was just alright (with a cola flavour really comming forward). 3.5% and a fairly low hopping just won't stand up to all that airspace!
JerCraigs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek wrote:

I don't believe that any such restrictions exist in Ontario, but I could very well be wrong. Anyone know if they pay the same excise taxes regardless of abv?
Bobbyok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerCraigs wrote:
Derek wrote:

I don't believe that any such restrictions exist in Ontario, but I could very well be wrong. Anyone know if they pay the same excise taxes regardless of abv?

Federal excise taxes are based entirely on volume according to the government's documentation leading up to the excise tax reductions announced in the 2006 Budget. There may be provincial taxes based on abv, but I don't think there are.
inertiaboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek wrote:
I wonder if their current license limits the alcohol by volume?

I think their current artistic license does
grub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek wrote:

my understanding is that a "brewpub" license is the only one with any ABV restrictions (6.5% iirc). they're definitely not a brewpub though, so shouldn't be subject to that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bar Towel Forum Index -> Beer Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: