Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bier Markt -Esplanade

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

vandutchy

Bier Markt -Esplanade

Post by vandutchy »

Although this is not a place I regularly go I stopped by yesterday to see if they did in fact have some of the new beers that many of us have been waiting for to hit the Ontario market. It did not disappoint...on Tap to name a few were Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Stone IPA, Goose Island IPA, Brew Dog Punk IPA, another dark ale by Brew Dog along with Red Racer. Great bottle selection too with several Belgians at reasonable prices!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

vandutchy wrote: Although this is not a place I regularly go I stopped by yesterday to see if they did in fact have some of the new beers that many of us have been waiting for to hit the Ontario market. It did not disappoint...on Tap to name a few were Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Stone IPA, Goose Island IPA...another dark ale by Brew Dog...
Thanks for the heads up. I've never been a fan of the vibe and crowd at this place but will gladly drop in for those beers. How much were they selling the Stone for?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

vandutchy

Post by vandutchy »

cratez wrote:
vandutchy wrote: Although this is not a place I regularly go I stopped by yesterday to see if they did in fact have some of the new beers that many of us have been waiting for to hit the Ontario market. It did not disappoint...on Tap to name a few were Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Stone IPA, Goose Island IPA...another dark ale by Brew Dog...
Thanks for the heads up. I've never been a fan of the vibe and crowd at this place but will gladly drop in for those beers. How much were they selling the Stone for?
I think it was @ $7.00 - $7.75 and believe it or not it was cheaper than Sierra Nevada which actually gets shipped from the new brewery in N Carolinas. The Brew Dog was the most expensive....$8.xx I believe.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Not surprising. I was in a brewdog bar in Edinburgh in March .... And I believe, with conversion, pints were almost $8. I was quite surprised at the price, being that it is their own product and the fact that it doesn't have to travel very far from the brewery.

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

Anyone know whether the other locations will have these beers on tap as well?
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

MetalHead wrote:Anyone know whether the other locations will have these beers on tap as well?
Pretty sure all locations already have them...the beer offerings tend to be the same across the board for Bier Markts.

I do enjoy the King West location most (having only been to Esplanade, King, Sherway locations). Summer time on the patio is great too.

thedude99

Post by thedude99 »

I was at the one on by Sherway for lunch last week, they had specials on Bud and Bud Light. While they have a great beer selection, that sums up my dislike of the place.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Definitely a mix of macro and micro at Bier Markt. If you can overlook the handful of junk beers, avoid the clubby vibe that happens at night at some locations, are ok with slightly over priced food and avoid ordering some of the more rare bottles, which will not be in stock....then it's a good place.

Sure that is a lot of "ifs"....but it's been a great compromise bar for me when heading otu with friends who don't share my same interests...they may get some live music or dancing and I'll get good beers.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

I frequent Bier Markts a lot cause my buddy's band plays all of them on a rotating basis...not the worst but for a place called Bier Markt I am sometimes woefully disappointed with their offerings
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I finally made it here for a lunch meeting, great location and patio seating.

As for the food and beer, there is great attentive service and good patio seating in a great location. Not sure I'd eat there so often. But the service!!
In Beerum Veritas