Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

AFT Kitchen and Bar at Broadview

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

AFT Kitchen and Bar at Broadview

Post by Belgian »

This is the place you've overlooked or only glanced in going by about ten times. I finally went in on a recommendation, and it seems excellent.

Aft kitchen and bar Queen at Broadview has smoked brisket and ribs and wings and such, along with some good beers of course. The wings were insanely delectable and smoky, and the 3 housemade sauces are so delicious I can't wait to try more stuff with them. Fries were exceptional too.

They may have nightly pint and meal specials. It can be reasonable.

Cool friendly people who seem to listen and care about detail. Nice experience and comfortable place, also has an enormous slab hardwood bar I enjoyed sitting at.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I like that bar too. I go in on weekends and they always try to push me out on the patio, but I sit at the bar anyway. Usually have the whole place to myself.

Nice Bourbon selection too, if you're in to that sort of thing.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

We went there a while ago and quite liked it. The BBQ, beers and cocktails were all good. If it was located more conveniently we'd go more often.
lister

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

heard a rumour that a brewpub will be opening right near it (the empty space beside the old Jilly's)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lister it's almost TOO convenient for me on the way home. I hope it continues to impress.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:Lister it's almost TOO convenient for me on the way home. I hope it continues to impress.
This is my problem too. There's something tempting about a pint or three and some decent BBQ on the way home after a long day.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

It's probably safer that places like Buster Rhino's and AFT are just a little bit too inconvenient for me to go to frequently. :wink:

Maybe I'll hit AFT before summer is over.
lister

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Checked out this place on Saturday. Overall I thought the experience was good. For the details:

Beer: I was expecting a better selection as the bar was being discussed on this forum. Having said that, I did get a seasonal Wellington Wheat beer that I had never tried before. I had been hoping for a darker ale/porter as I find they go well with BBQ sauce.

Food: I got the BBQ platter for $25. The sides I picked were coleslaw and baked beans. Both were fine. The ribs I got were OK. Didn't have too much taste and no smoky flavor but the texture was good. There were only 2 ribs. However, the beef brisket I got was excellent. Not sure how they decide on food portions (perhaps what's left?) but I got a lot of brisket. I made a massive brisket sandwich with coleslaw and used the 3 sauces to make a delicious blend. I then still had 3 or more large pieces of brisket left.
So, I wouldn't repeat on the ribs but I'll be back for the brisket.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Checked this out last week for lunch. Small tap list, mostly standard offerings but at least it's craft, Boneshaker and the Wellington wheat beer mentioned above were the most adventuresome choices. Had a terrific brisket sandwich on special, a take on a Big Mac but with brisket… genius idea. Nice little spot to sit, hip and all that. Not a destination but if you're looking for something in the hood...