Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Habits to be nano brewing

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Interesting, I had originally been exposed to that idea (rich foods) when I was reading about pairing saisons with Christmas dinner. Many people claimed that the crisp/dry finish was great for cutting through fatty gravies and resetting the palate.

I guess this is both sides of the coin and you've turned it over for me.

nickw

Post by nickw »

You'll probably find lots at Habits to pair their saisons with. My experience with saisons is basically summed up by Brooklyn Brewery brewmaster, Garret Oliver's book The Brewmaster's Table:

"If I were forced to choose one style to drink with every meal for the rest of my life, saison would have to be it. At any given time there is at least one case of saison in my cellar. Saison is not just versatile -- it's downright promiscuous. It seems to go with almost everything. The combination of dynamic bitterness, scouring carbonation, bright aromatics, spicy flavors, pepper notes, dark earthy underpinnings, and racy acidity gives these beers a hook to hang their hat on for a wide range of dishes."

I've had saisons with lighter, more delicate food like seafood and fish. I've also quite enjoyed it with richer, fattier foods. Go for whatever you want -- they're your tastebuds.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't find it to be a richness thing for saisons, but they do tend to hold up better against lighter flavours. Christmas dinner is a fine example, lots of gravy there but it's not the same as trying to stand up to say, pasta with meat sauce, which might blow a saison away. As a rule of thumb, I think the comparison to white wines for food pairings works pretty well. I would also agree that it's probably the most versatile beer style for food pairings out there.

A saison tap takeover is a fun idea. Takes me back to the old IPA showdowns Volo used to do.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

nickw wrote:You'll probably find lots at Habits to pair their saisons with. My experience with saisons is basically summed up by Brooklyn Brewery brewmaster, Garret Oliver's book The Brewmaster's Table:

"If I were forced to choose one style to drink with every meal for the rest of my life, saison would have to be it. At any given time there is at least one case of saison in my cellar. Saison is not just versatile -- it's downright promiscuous. It seems to go with almost everything. The combination of dynamic bitterness, scouring carbonation, bright aromatics, spicy flavors, pepper notes, dark earthy underpinnings, and racy acidity gives these beers a hook to hang their hat on for a wide range of dishes."

I've had saisons with lighter, more delicate food like seafood and fish. I've also quite enjoyed it with richer, fattier foods. Go for whatever you want -- they're your tastebuds.
my only worry about saisons with heavier fares is based on me using Dupont as the watermark for a saison. i think it's acidity and slightly bitter finish, grassy yeast notes and dry finish would be lost on something like ribs or brisket. it wouldn't clash, but you're kind of hiding the niceties of the beer underneath the food.

same thing with IPAs and heavy, bbq'd food. it works, but then the beer works with the food but the food doesn't compliment the beer

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Love this discussion! My own feelings closely follow Mr. Oliver's, I think. Our main saison (Habits Saison) plays well with both in my opinion, since it's bright and citrusy to make light foods pop and peppery and dry enough to cut through heavy foods. Had a glass at lunch the other day with a takeout pulled pork (at lunch when we're not open but we are brewing!) from Buster Rhinos (which is really, really good) and really liked how it worked.

But this is partially why we're brewing our takes on Dubbels and Quads in the next few months, too. They are mixed fermentation saison yeast and brett strains, but still a little richer for those who prefer some malt character with roasted foods.

Our main brands are going to be an old world saison (more like dupont but mixed fermentation), a new world saison (dry hopped with Amarillo, more citrusy and white wine like), a hoppy saison (farmhouse IPA kinda thing with big tropical and spicy notes from saison yeast and brett c), and our farmhouse dubbel (caramel, special w rasiny malts, with a light peppery finish and red fruits from brett l). Each will have suggested parings from our menu when we rebrand.

Though, for now, here is a current menu! (https://nlbeerhistory.files.wordpress.c ... g_4146.jpg)

Looking to make the jump a little more toward barsnacks and brewpub food as we move towards becoming Folly. Little more casual! Those Lamb Chops with the saison are pretty tasty though.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

groulxsome wrote:Love this discussion! My own feelings closely follow Mr. Oliver's, I think. Our main saison (Habits Saison) plays well with both in my opinion, since it's bright and citrusy to make light foods pop and peppery and dry enough to cut through heavy foods. Had a glass at lunch the other day with a takeout pulled pork (at lunch when we're not open but we are brewing!) from Buster Rhinos (which is really, really good) and really liked how it worked.

But this is partially why we're brewing our takes on Dubbels and Quads in the next few months, too. They are mixed fermentation saison yeast and brett strains, but still a little richer for those who prefer some malt character with roasted foods.

Our main brands are going to be an old world saison (more like dupont but mixed fermentation), a new world saison (dry hopped with Amarillo, more citrusy and white wine like), a hoppy saison (farmhouse IPA kinda thing with big tropical and spicy notes from saison yeast and brett c), and our farmhouse dubbel (caramel, special w rasiny malts, with a light peppery finish and red fruits from brett l). Each will have suggested parings from our menu when we rebrand.

Though, for now, here is a current menu! (https://nlbeerhistory.files.wordpress.c ... g_4146.jpg)

Looking to make the jump a little more toward barsnacks and brewpub food as we move towards becoming Folly. Little more casual! Those Lamb Chops with the saison are pretty tasty though.
mm those beers sound delicious!
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Got some friends from out east meeting me in Toronto next weekend for Cask Days. Heading to Folly next Thursday for dinner. Looking forward to trying your stuff, groulxsome!