Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Birreria Volo

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Thanks skootles!
I visited oxbow last summer, so was happy to hear when they came to volo....

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Stopped in on Saturday night for the tap event as the Cask Days offshoot. It might not have been well known that the reason Monkish was not at Cask Days was because they sent kegs, not casks. They had two Monkish on and they were fantastic. In fact I think Same Tree was my favourite beer of the weekend, Cask Days included.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I'm hoping that there's some leftovers from Saturday available when they open tomorrow.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

went last night, finally. beautiful place. prefer bar volo tho. totally different vibes.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

10 kegs of Crooked Stave on tap tomorrow at 5:

:o :o :o

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I believe I had Crooked Stave Vieille on tap in Denver over the summer. It had more barnyard funk than I was prepared for. Have fun.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

alsiem wrote:I believe I had Crooked Stave Vieille on tap in Denver over the summer. It had more barnyard funk than I was prepared for. Have fun.
just to be clear: you're complaining about THIS beer?
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25191/92153/

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

^^^^doesnt really sound like a complaint to me, more like an enexpected surprise? It does,however, sound right up my alley.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

went last night. had Origins and St Bretta.
Origins was fucking stupid. blackberry and slight malt finish. nice and tart.
tap list at Volo isn't cheap, but they're bringing in beer that's head and shoulders above any other local taplist.
don't go there to get blitzed. go and drink small and smart and drink well.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

atomizes wrote: don't go there to get blitzed. go and drink small and smart and drink well.
Very strange comment. Aside from maybe Bier Markt, which on certain nights is more of a club than a bar, I'm not aware of any beer bars in Toronto where people go to "get blitzed." Perhaps you frequent places that I don't. From what I can tell, pretty much everyone on this forum drinks "small, smart, and well." That's what craft beer is all about.

RE: Birreria Volo - I was extremely impressed with the new space when I visited with a friend on the Cask Days weekend. The tap list was unreal (Hair Of The Dog, Thin Man, Gigantic, etc.) and, judging by this weekend's feature, it looks like rare lineups will be the norm at Birreria going forward. I also like the fact that they're one of the only beer bars in T.O. that have proper lambic glassware. Some people were complaining about the lack of space, but we managed to find a table in decent time and I personally like the narrow layout. Kinda reminds me of The Long Room in Chicago, but with higher ceilings.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:
atomizes wrote: don't go there to get blitzed. go and drink small and smart and drink well.
Very strange comment.
'Blitzed' sounds like he's just using hyperbole; I take it he means Birreria offers an extremely unusual service - one focused on appreciation and highly accessible rare selection versus volume per serving.
atomeyes wrote:
alsiem wrote:I believe I had Crooked Stave Vieille on tap in Denver over the summer. It had more barnyard funk than I was prepared for.
just to be clear: you're complaining about THIS beer?
Beers and ciders that challenge me the most are often the ones I most enjoy and remember.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Beers and ciders that challenge me the most are often the ones I most enjoy and remember.[/quote]

I'll third this. Except for that one time I made the mistake of buying an absinthe beer. Challenged me alright;to have more than one sip. Fucking wretched. It is one of the beers that I remember above almost all others though

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I removed that last conversation. Kindly use the Volo thread to talk about Volo.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Reflecting on my last few visits to this place, it's really not even debatable as to whether these guys have the best tap and bottle list in the province. If you're looking for a truly elevated beer experience - one that's unmatched in Ontario - you should make it a priority to come here. It's also clear that, just as they pushed the envelope at the former barVolo, the Moranas are leading the way once again with Birreria. The rare and unparalleled selection, proper and varied glassware, first rate service, and killer ambience make this a must-visit destination in my books.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

crooked stave feature this thursday

http://www.birreriavolo.com/bretteria