Amsterdam Barrel House

Post your own brewpub, pub and restaurant reviews here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Amsterdam Barrel House

Postby Cass » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Anyone been?
northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Re: Amsterdam Barrel House

Postby northyorksammy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:05 pm

yup, close to home
Reliable Beer Critic
lister
Seasoned Drinker

Postby lister » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:38 am

northyorksammy wrote:yup, close to home

Your thoughts?
lister
Cass
Beer Superstar

Postby Cass » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:26 am

Yes, maybe I should have been more specific. For those who have been, what did you think? Worth the trip to Leaside?
northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Postby northyorksammy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:31 pm

not yet, unless you are close by, ie. at the main brewery. Only one unique tap is on, and its been basic.
Reliable Beer Critic
atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Postby atomeyes » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:28 pm

i dropped by yesterday. not sure if i misunderstood a tweet, but i wanted to grab some bottles of the barleywine.
i thought that they had a small brewhouse at the barrel house, so assumed they'd be selling bottles.
went inside and it looks quite different than Against the Grain. looks like a Keg.
i asked the hostess if they sold bottles there. told her i was looking for the barleywine. she said that, no, bottles aren't for purchase there, so if i want a bottle of barleywine, go down the street to the brewery.
so i did.
got to the brewery and they said, oh no, the barleywine's for table service only at the Barrel House. ok.
but if i want something similar, they have an imperial stout I can buy.
i left, emptyhanded.
DeMarco

Postby DeMarco » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:41 am

I've had some co-workers go at lunch and said it was some of the worst food they've had in a while. The pulled pork was super dry and beer is quite expensive for having their own taps. Bummed as I had high hopes for this place.
mistermurphy

Postby mistermurphy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:31 pm

They can't have a bottle shop there under Ontario's current liquor laws. Only two bottle shops per manufacturer.

atomeyes wrote:i dropped by yesterday. not sure if i misunderstood a tweet, but i wanted to grab some bottles of the barleywine.
i thought that they had a small brewhouse at the barrel house, so assumed they'd be selling bottles.
went inside and it looks quite different than Against the Grain. looks like a Keg.
i asked the hostess if they sold bottles there. told her i was looking for the barleywine. she said that, no, bottles aren't for purchase there, so if i want a bottle of barleywine, go down the street to the brewery.
so i did.
got to the brewery and they said, oh no, the barleywine's for table service only at the Barrel House. ok.
but if i want something similar, they have an imperial stout I can buy.
i left, emptyhanded.
lister
Seasoned Drinker

Postby lister » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:27 am

mistermurphy wrote:They can't have a bottle shop there under Ontario's current liquor laws. Only two bottle shops per manufacturer.

Why wouldn't they write it as one bottle shop per site? Sigh.
lister
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Postby Tapsucker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:19 am

DeMarco wrote:I've had some co-workers go at lunch and said it was some of the worst food they've had in a while. The pulled pork was super dry and beer is quite expensive for having their own taps. Bummed as I had high hopes for this place.

I sure hope they didn't repeat the mistake they made at harbourfront and get the Gabby's hacks to run their kitchen. It's sad to see local 'craft' beer paired with freezer-to-fryer factory food.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.
atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Postby atomeyes » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 am

Tapsucker wrote:
DeMarco wrote:I've had some co-workers go at lunch and said it was some of the worst food they've had in a while. The pulled pork was super dry and beer is quite expensive for having their own taps. Bummed as I had high hopes for this place.

I sure hope they didn't repeat the mistake they made at harbourfront and get the Gabby's hacks to run their kitchen. It's sad to see local 'craft' beer paired with freezer-to-fryer factory food.

pretty sure that's what they've done.
FAB/Gabby's.
and not ragging on them, but seeing the FoodSafe warning that QQ had (no soap for staff??) you would expect more from a corporate machine than that.

Return to “Good Pub Reviews”