Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Duke of Gloucester on Yonge

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

No surprises – unremitting terror for the beer connoisseur – but it still offered a number of wonderful vignettes.

One of the first Olde Worlde style pubs in Toronto, opened not long after the Elephant and Castle (when the latter was still in the Eaton Centre). Has not changed it's beer line-up since that time, when Toby was still considered exotic. Uncertain whether or not this is a part of the Duke chain, but it offers the same mix of Canadian beers and British beers (in name only -- Tetley's, Boddington's, etc.). I also mention the approximate inception date of the pub only because it looks as though it has not renovated or cleaned up since. (Only Pimblett's is filthier.)

Some highlights: First one - on the draft board Labatt was spelled with two "b's" and one "t". A dart tournament in the back that was being scored by a pregnant woman who sat underneath and just to one side of the board. A guy on the payphone in the back for the most of the evening, gesticulating with a cigarette in his hand – unclear whether he was doing business or reconciling with his girlfriend.

I had the daily special, a souvlaki plate, which was nice, and the kitchen was accommodating when I asked for a small change. (No charge.) My server was also pleasant, if only he would shave and wear a nicer t-shirt.

I went with a friend from univeristy days who works at one of the U of T libraries. It felt like a real undergrad hang-out, and frankly, if I were an undergrad, I would probably have been like a pig in poo.

But I'm not. I'm an old bitch.

1 out of 5 for serving the beer in the properly branded glasses. 2.5 out of 5 for the food.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle Bobby on 2004-01-28 09:59 ]</font>

Cask

Post by Cask »

God love the Duke of Gloucester, and let's hope they never renovate and become one of the soulless Duke chain pubs. Sure the beer selection's unimaginative, and they probably haven't changed the jukebox selections since they opened either, but it's one of Toronto's few "character" establishments and feels much more like an English local than perhaps anywhere in Toronto. Check out the cod-English pubs north & south of there: the manky, open-plan Spotted Dick, like a beer-starved Wetherspoon's gone to seed, or the surly-staffed Queen Elizabeth fetish pub The Artful Dodger, where they actually start putting chairs on the tables before last call. You're right that the food's average, but I'll defend to the death the server's right to be unshaven and wear a dubious t-shirt, as long he's friendly & responsive. 5/5 for atmosphere. Put a cask ale in there, and I'd never leave.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

Went there once to see England play Holland in a friendly. England got thumped. I've never been back.

Publican

Post by Publican »

I head to the Duke of Gloucester on a semi regular basis as a member of the Liverpool Football Supporters Club of Toronto. I agree that the place is filthy and the beer is unimaginative(thank god Cafe Volo is a short stroll south on Yonge). I think a more English style pub is the Bow and Arrow at Yonge and Davisville and I will suggest that the Supporters club move there next season but the Bow would have to have a Carlsberg tap, as that is the sponser of Liverpool. What's really sad is that some of the English members drink this swill instead of the english ale that's avaiable

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

The duke has character, no doubt, and I do have some fond memories there, but that has much more to do with what footie match was on then the beer selection. Publican - would the supporters club ever move out of there? - it seems to be enshrined there and to be honest, unless the bow were to pick up setanta satellite (which they used to have when they hosted the glasgow rangers supporters club, but since they are no longer there, I'm not sure if the satellite still is), then I couldn't see it moving. The duke still is pretty much the best bet for catching those hard to get english matches - watching the worthington cup final there last year as a neutral was a great experience.

Jeff

Publican

Post by Publican »

I've met the new publican of the Bow, Patrick and he seems to be intrested in hosting a new supporters club now that the Rangers Supporters club has left. Patrick told me that he had talked to the president of the LFC Supporters club and he said they were commited to the Duke for this year. Towards the end of this season I'll suggest they move although it remains to been seen if they
take my advice as I've only been a member for one year

Publican

Post by Publican »

Jeff Have you tried Scallywag's? The beer is the same boring brands but at least the place is clean

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Good luck on the possible move Publican - the upstairs of the bow would be a great place to host the reds.

Yeah, Scallywags is the other great english footie bar in the city - I watched some world cup matches there a couple of years ago and it was a great atmosphere. If you're footie tastes run a little more irish though, you can't beat the dank that is McVeigh's, the city's last true great irish bar in my humble opinion. But going in for anything other than a quality pint of guinness, beer-wise, and you'll be disappointed.

Jeff

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Well if you're going to talk watching soccer in a pub setting let us not forget Elsewhere Pub at 2468 Yonge Street. It is the home of the Manchester United Supporters Club of Canada. Each and every weekend United's fixture is shown live (whether Sportsnet is showing it or not) meaning they'll open for breakfast at 6am if that's when the match is on. The place is large and despite the die hard United throng who can number anywhere from 30 to 300 depending on the importance of the match, opposition supporters are welcomed (provided they are well behaved). The MUSCC used to be at Scallywags which is still a good place to watch but be warned Jeff (the manager at Scallys) has been known to favor live rugby over soccer if the two ever happen to coincide. The beer selection at Elsewhere is pretty standard (boring) but the place is clean, comfortable and the food is decent. The atmosphere however is great (assuming you're a United fan OR a fan of a team that happens to beat them on the day). They also show international matches featuring England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland with England being the preference.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

McVeighs was also in the movie "The Boondock Saints"

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Thanks Jon - I had wondered where the Man U club went and now I know - I will check it out.

Yeah, I remember when they did the filming at McVeigh's a few years ago - being a member of the Celtic supporters club, I am in there quite often - that's what I love about downtown right now - if I want a guinness and some good atmosphere I can duck in to McVeigh's. If I want a good, interesting pint, I can pop over to the Bistro. We are pretty fortunate in Toronto that way.

Apart from my celtic loyalties, I have a long suffering soft spot for Spurs in the EPL - perhaps if they get by Man City to play Man U in the next round of the FA Cup, which is pretty likely, I'll stop by - with my good friend who is a red devil supporter of course!

Cheers

Jeff

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

I love going to the Duke. Yes it's dirty and the beer selection is boring and all the other faults mentioned but I always have a great time there. Cheap pool, cheap good food and a great jukebox. It's still better than the Firkin pubs.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Further to the Soccer / Beer thread - I'm very happy to announce that starting this weekend C'est What? will begin opening at 10:00am on Saturday and Sunday and showing EPL soccer!

Imagine that! Watch the match, and enjoy a killer pint too!! YES!!

I'm hoping to head over on Sunday for the Arsenal v Man City match...

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Of course you'll be enjoying that pint in the second half as no bar can serve prior to 11am.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I've always liked the Duke of Gloucester. It's very close to work, so I'm often there for lunches or after-work.

Always been a big fan of the food - it's a great selection and good prices, especially for the Yonge/Bloor area.

And you can't beat the Snug for privacy - there's usually never anyone in there.