Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bar Volo

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm pretty sure they gave up cooking food when they started house ales. I assume they converted kitchen space into a brewery.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:I'm pretty sure they gave up cooking food when they started house ales. I assume they converted kitchen space into a brewery.
nope. pretty sure they still cooked while doing house ales.
they probably gave up cooking when they realized the profitability per sq foot is not in favour with running a restaurant.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

biegaman wrote:I guess it's too long ago now for a lot of people on this board to remember, but once upon a time Volo had really good food and a pretty extensive menu (good wine menu too!). At some point there was a conscious decision to really focus on the beer side and slim down the food options so as to avoid the hassles of the kitchen..
Oh yeah. On many nights Ralph himself would be manning the kitchen. Those were the nights to order a carbonara. Best I've ever had.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

midlife crisis wrote:
biegaman wrote:I guess it's too long ago now for a lot of people on this board to remember, but once upon a time Volo had really good food and a pretty extensive menu (good wine menu too!). At some point there was a conscious decision to really focus on the beer side and slim down the food options so as to avoid the hassles of the kitchen..
Oh yeah. On many nights Ralph himself would be manning the kitchen. Those were the nights to order a carbonara. Best I've ever had.
YES!!! Was going to originally post something along those lines myself. I remember many a nights Ralph all sweaty and exhausted, cooking away in the kitchen - he was quite the chef. Some of my best meals in TO were at Volo. Again, that feels like ages ago...

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

midlife crisis wrote:Oh yeah. On many nights Ralph himself would be manning the kitchen. Those were the nights to order a carbonara. Best I've ever had.
Yes, very tasty! Mmmmmmm...
lister

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Beavertown Smog Rocket is pouring on cask at Volo for those that missed it at Cask Days (or want to try it again).

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

It apparently will be the same at the new additional Bar Volo, attention to the beer and not the food.
Reliable Beer Critic

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

for the sundays half bottle deal does anyone know if that's all bottles?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Not all, but lots of good ones. Jester King, for example.

Cask

Post by Cask »

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Shame this place is so overpriced. You're better off going to Thirsty And Miserable, Bar Hop or Sin And Redemption/Town Crier/Prenup Pub.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Cask wrote:Could this be the end of Volo?

http://thebulletin.ca/downtown-groups-w ... nge-tower/
They are opening a new location in Little Italy so even if the Yonge location is affected by this info (not sure how based on the details in that article).

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I think they've known for years that if/when the tower goes up, Volo goes away.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Craig wrote:

Yes, they've known for a few years...the "second location" as far as I've heard was always going to be a replacement, not an addition.

nickw

Post by nickw »

admviolin wrote:
Craig wrote:

Yes, they've known for a few years...the "second location" as far as I've heard was always going to be a replacement, not an addition.
Hmmm. Ben Johnson's blog post on his interview with Tomas didn't necessarily make it seem like it was going to be a straight replacement, especially with Ralph not being involved with it and it only having a capacity of 55. But I suppose we shall see whenever the tower starts going up...