Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

tripleabar

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

eric hasler

tripleabar

Post by eric hasler »

I have heard great reviews on their bbq but I couldn't locate anything on their website about good beer. I will be calling but has anybody here had any experience with this place and in particular their beer/tap selection.
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific"

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The last time I was in they had a middling tap selection. Something like 8-12 taps of which maybe half or 2/3rds were craft. They had seasonal/rotating taps too, not just Sidelaunch Wheat and Mad Tom. So not really a full-fledged craft bar, but also not a place you're likely to be stuck drinking a Cremore.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Ditto about the beer. It's no Bar Hop, Volo or C'est What but there's decent craft there.

The BBQ is okay, I wouldn't say it's great. I prefer Buster Rhino's and Baju (Monarch) more.
lister

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Went there about a month or so ago.

Weak tap selection, modest bourbon/whiskey choices.

BBQ was ok, but overpriced for the portions. Monarch is still my go to for all things BBQ-beer-whiskey related.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I was there recently as well, and will concur with everyone on the beer. A few OK things on tap - I had Augusta Ale - but nothing to get geeks excited.

As for the food, it's quite good. It's Texas style, so it's a bit different from most of the other BBQ places in town. The best thing we ate there by far was the chili, which was big chunks of beef - and nothing else - in a dark, smoky sauce. So good!

eric hasler

Post by eric hasler »

My friend and I went and had 2 Boneshakers and some food and the bill was over $100. A small piece of corn was $4. Food was ok but portions were very small and I loved the menus...a scrap of paper with the specials scrawled on it.
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific"