Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toboggan Brewing Co., London

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Toboggan Brewing Co., London

Post by midlife crisis »

I don't live in London but I hear from relatives that do that this new brewpub is now up and running. Any reports? Definitely needed to give the Richmond St. area some added craft beer heft (with Milos').

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I just came back from buying a "howler" (never heard that term before) of IPA, but I've got dodgeball later so I haven't opened it yet. They currently have an IPA, blonde and an amber in the retail store. Don't expect things to be adventurous at first, as I understand it, Mike is playing it safe and doesn't want to scare off the lager crowd. He's still going to have the usual macros on tap in the restaurant along with their own and other micros. I can't say I blame him, last week on their Facebook post announcing they're opening soon the first comment was to the effect of "Do you have any lagers?" I sampled the double IPA on tap, I certainly wasn't blown away, but it's better than what you get at every other bar on Richmond Row. I hope to go back soon for a real tasting of what's on tap.

This is the former Jim Bob Ray's and they updated the decor about 8-10 months ago so it looks much nicer than before (I didn't take a peek today, just went right into the store). They've moved the ovens (and apparently staff) from his restaurant Pi-Za Pie into Toboggan, so they'll have really great pizza in addition to other dishes (also haven't seen a menu).

Sorry, it's not much of a review, but I didn't make much of a visit. Just the info that I've gathered from online and a quick stop in.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Thanks for the rundown ErkLR. As I'm sure you'll agree, the big story here is just the fact that London now has a "real" brewpub in the downtown core, with Tomas Schmidt of Spearhead at the brewing helm. That it's replaced one of the most popular "get shitfaced" bars for students is even more surprising, but clearly Mike Smith is a savvy businessman who can see where trends are going.

The macro thing is unfortunate to hear, but as you point out they are likely trying to hold onto some of the old JBRs crowd (at least for now?). On the other hand, the pizza menu sounds like a great idea!

I plan to visit over the Victoria Day weekend and will report back with my thoughts soon.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

It's my understanding that JBR's popularity was waning, and since it's hard to keep a business going when you essentially have no business before 9 PM*, Mike thought it was time for a change. Their own beer isn't cheap ($7 for a howler, $12 for a growler plus deposit on either; don't know what it is on tap), so yeah they're hoping to have a wide range of patrons. I don't think they're going for the dance club/meat market crowd at night anymore though.

*we stopped in on a pub crawl at 8 PM a couple years ago and found the doors locked. They opened the doors for us, and man do you ever get great service when you're the only 15 people in the bar heh.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

My brother was there this evening. Guest beers are Lugtread, Detour, Capital Blonde, Saint of Circumstance, GR Tailgate, Dead Elephant, Blanche de Chambly, Hockley Amber, Macleans PA, Creemore, Steam Whistle, Red Racer, Honkers Ale, Granville Is., Coors Light, 50, Keith's, Mill St Organic. Could be a bit more adventurous but not so bad. Servings of house beer are $6.25 or $6.75 for 16 oz I'm told.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

midlife crisis wrote:My brother was there this evening. Guest beers are Lugtread, Detour, Capital Blonde, Saint of Circumstance, GR Tailgate, Dead Elephant, Blanche de Chambly, Hockley Amber, Macleans PA, Creemore, Steam Whistle, Red Racer, Honkers Ale, Granville Is., Coors Light, 50, Keith's, Mill St Organic. Could be a bit more adventurous but not so bad. Servings of house beer are $6.25 or $6.75 for 16 oz I'm told.
Not a bad list. I suppose the days of bars being "craft or not" are gone. Now we've got the hardcore craft beer bars and the sort-of-craft bars. The more places that at least give craft and local beer SOME exposure, the better!

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

El Pinguino wrote:Not a bad list. I suppose the days of bars being "craft or not" are gone. Now we've got the hardcore craft beer bars and the sort-of-craft bars. The more places that at least give craft and local beer SOME exposure, the better!
This is something I've noticed in KW now, where it's pretty much just the chain restaurants that don't have much craft beer to offer. Which is a huge change from just 2 years ago where there was only a handful of places I can think of that had craft beer.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

ErkLR wrote: It's my understanding that JBR's popularity was waning, and since it's hard to keep a business going when you essentially have no business before 9 PM*, Mike thought it was time for a change...
This is what I've heard as well. Apparently "the kids these days" do more pre-drinking at home, go to the bar later, don't drink or spend much when they go, and gravitate towards electro house clubs where two-thirds of the patrons are high on molly and drinking water. So JBRs' "drink until you pass out" model probably wasn't cutting it any more.

Better to go for an older crowd who's willing to spend while filling a major void in the core and opening at a time when craft beer is growing exponentially.
midlife crisis wrote: My brother was there this evening. Guest beers are Lugtread, Detour, Capital Blonde, Saint of Circumstance, GR Tailgate, Dead Elephant, Blanche de Chambly, Hockley Amber, Macleans PA, Creemore, Steam Whistle, Red Racer, Honkers Ale... (and) Mill St Organic...
While most of those beers are mid-range/gateway offerings, that list combined with the house beers makes for a pretty decent lineup, especially for London. Now I'm just curious to find out whether the house beers are any good. What did your brother think?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

They just posted their menus to Facebook (I don't think you need an account to view this):
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 405&type=1
They have a fairly large bottle list as well, though again, not too adventurous except for Bolshevik Bastard and maybe a couple others.

Interior view https://www.facebook.com/tobogganbrewin ... =3&theater

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

JBR's just got some potentially unflattering attention in an online Vice editorial about race relations in London, Ontario (link below). In one section the author name drops JBR as a bar in London some associate with "ill treatment of black people". No sources, references or even anecdotal account sto substantiate this claim and it's mentioned only in wider reference to London's nightlife and overall culture. If at all substantiated (however difficult that might be) it would be very concerning from a consumer perspective. If it remains completely unsubstantiated, pretty concerning from the owners and employees perspective.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/london-o ... -to-me-152

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

I am in London briefly and just tried the IPA and Double IPA. The Double IPA is pretty messy and I really cannot recommend it - I didn't finish my glass. Maltier than one would expect and not very flavourful.

The IPA, however, is much better. It's not going to create waves in Ontario or anything, but it is a very solid, tasty IPA. I had the Double IPA first and it did not give me high hopes for the IPA, but I was relieved to find a big difference in quality. Again, it isn't competitive with the IPAs coming from Great Lakes or Bellwoods, but I expect if I lived in London I would pick up growlers of this with some frequency. Also gives some hope that this brewery will develop to produce some good stuff.

I don't really have any comment on the space itself, other than to say it rather follows the Louis Cifer model of brewpub rather than Bellwoods or Indie - feels like a sports bar. Whether that is a good thing or not is really up to you...
Ren