Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mascot Brewery

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Mascot Brewery

Post by beerstodiscover »

I was surprised when a friend mentioned this place to me: a brewery in Toronto I hadn't heard of?! It turns out this is not really a brewery, but a rooftop patio that contract brews some house beers.

The location is great for a sunny day, after work, before/after a Jays game. They have a decent draft and bottle/can selection which leans toward the boring side of craft. I passed on the Mascot Pilsner (Mascot Hefeweizen was unavailable) and stuck with NB Paysan Saison which was just delicious.

The food menu is very limited. I had chicken wings and would not recommend them (small portion, no sauce offered).

Interestingly, as you walk up to the patio you pass through a small nightclub on the second floor, which is called Odd Thomas. They have a larger draft list (10+ taps) and is a bit of an anomaly in Toronto as a nightclub with a decent beer selection.
Last edited by beerstodiscover on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I saw the review on blogto earlier this year and was immediately turned off by the 5L keg deal. 130 bucks for just over 10 pints?

http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/masco ... ry-toronto

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

DeMarco wrote:130 bucks for just over 10 pints?
Yeah the keg "deal" is insulting. Didn't see anyone ordering that. Pints were probably 16 oz and $8, not outrageous considering the location.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

the article should read "Currently, the place contracts brewing to Duggan's, who contracts his brewing to Cool."

The new toronto trend: opening up breweries that don't don't actually brew on site, but have the name "Brewery" in their name.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Looks like Siobhan is now the head brewer here. I ended up at Mascot a few weeks ago and sampled their first 2 craft taps (non-Duggans) and they were decent. They seem to have a half dozen more in the pipeline for their location, including an LCBO release and bottleshop.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

beerstodiscover wrote:
DeMarco wrote:130 bucks for just over 10 pints?
Yeah the keg "deal" is insulting. Didn't see anyone ordering that. Pints were probably 16 oz and $8, not outrageous considering the location.
And that's probably $8 + tax + tip. Just figure on $10-10.50 for a 4/5ths of a pint.

The $130, 5 litre 'keg' = 169 oz which is 10.57 x 16-oz servings, costing $12.30 per each. An added cost premium of over 50%.
That's maybe $15-16 or so after tax and tip for, again just 80% of a pint.
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Found while perusing the AGCO license application database. Guess this will be the new location...

MASCOT BREWERY
37 ADVANCE RD UNIT 106
ETOBICOKE, ON M8Z2S6

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

This place just re-opened at 220 King St W, across from Roy Thompson Hall. Very nice space and back patio. I had the their Gold Rush Sour and a nitro pour of Peche Mortel.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Rumours have been floating around a few months, the closures finally led to the confirmations.