Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Burdock

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Finally got around to checking out Burdock. The beer selection is great, and I was especially impressed by their Brett Farmhouse Saison. It's really great...much better than the Bellwoods version at the moment, and I'm known as a Bellwoods fan boy on here.

Space is very comfortable and warm. Busy but not slammed, but this was a weeknight. Didn't try any of the food. Very friendly staff. Alas my favorite beers weren't available in bottle.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I've heard from friends that the food here is the same chef (?) as woodlot. If you've ever been to woodlot, it's pretty great. Their bread is amazing.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

the quality of beer has picked up: new world saison, the berliner
Reliable Beer Critic

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

northyorksammy wrote:the quality of beer has picked up: new world saison, the berliner
The Berliner was indeed also excellent. I prefer it to the Nickelbrook Uber. Maybe even just a hint of saltiness that made me think of a gose.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Put me down as a fan of the Berliner. The American Wheat needs some work though.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I'm on board the Burdock bandwagon. The Brett Farmhouse Saison was very good, and even the California Common was enjoyable, particularly for a style that I have little interest in.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I can't say I was a big fan of the berliner, it needs work. I have a brett in bottle, I'm going to sit on it for a bit and see if it helps it a bit more, wasn't so great on tap.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Some pretty good reviews so far, and it's reasonably accessible by transit, so I plan to visit soon.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

cratez wrote:Some pretty good reviews so far, and it's reasonably accessible by transit, so I plan to visit soon.
Maybe we should organize a bartowel outing.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

napoleon wrote: Maybe we should organize a bartowel outing.
I'm down for a meet up. Don't have time to organize, but will do my best to attend if people can agree on a time.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

cratez wrote:Some pretty good reviews so far, and it's reasonably accessible by transit, so I plan to visit soon.
had their hoppy pils on friday. bottle was purchased a month ago, i think?
anyways, slightly oxidized. may be how they're bottling (beer gun vs counter pressure fillers). a bit disappointing, since i don't want that oxidized flavour on a pilsner.

but hopefully they correct that