Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bar Hop 2 (Peter St)

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

midlife crisis wrote:Yeah, that was it. Beer Street!
Beer Street was one of the few places I could take my kid under Toronto's nutty anti-smoking laws of the day.

Gabby's has occupied the site for quite a while now.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

The Danforth location is now open according to their Twitter account.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Gedge wrote:The Danforth location is now open according to their Twitter account.
Went there last night for the first time.

They're serving 15 Oz pours for everything, and pricing them around eight bucks each.

Eight bucks for a 4.2% local ale? No thanks.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Orval_Al wrote:Went there last night for the first time.

They're serving 15 Oz pours for everything, and pricing them around eight bucks each.

Regrettably, that is becoming the norm, at least here in the downtown area. Not just Bar Hop by any means. It reflects what things cost in this area I think.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

midlife crisis wrote:
Orval_Al wrote:They're serving 15 Oz pours for everything, and pricing them around eight bucks each.
Regrettably, that is becoming the norm... It reflects what things cost in this area I think.
I was at the BH 3 the other night as well. They seem to offer selected ** Sunday Prices on some other nights of the week I'm guessing to help initial sales volume.

It's a pretty decent-looking bar and the staff seem to be fairly with it. Kitchen appears to be nothing special, as yet - it's as if they are getting up to speed. I'm sure I'll be back soon.
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

midlife crisis wrote:Yeah, that was it. Beer Street!
Check out this blast from the past, including retro design!

http://bartowel.com/regions/pubs/beerst.phtml

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

It looks like they've settled on Monday $5 nights.

Went to BH1 on Sunday, BH2 on Monday and BH3 on Tuesday. :P Not on purpose, it just worked out that way.

The space is somewhat similar in layout to BH1 in that there's a front section (with rollup garage door and presumably patio out front), tables along the midsection and the bar and more tables at the back. Great selection of beer as expected. 24 taps. Limited food menu right now that they seem to be making up for with food specials. I had the fried mac and cheese on a meat loaf burger. Tasty.

If I lived in the neighbourhood I'd be super happy with the opening.

BH3 won't be a destination spot for me because of living at K&S but any time I'm out at the Linsmore it'll be visited unless I switch things up a bit with The Wren.
lister

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Wonderful news for the east end and for Toronto's beer scene as a whole. Being in the opposite end of the city I'm not sure when I'll be able to make it to BH3, but it's always good to see local, independent beer bars succeed. I wish them the very best.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Looking forward to checking this out. As much as the east end has exploded for breweries, the "main" corridor of Danforth (Broadview to Pape-ish) never seemed to get anything. I realize there's Louis Cifer there, but it was never much of a cozy beer pub IMO. Nice addition!

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

How close; walking distance is it to the Danforth music hall? I'll be going to a Stereophonics show there in September. I'm hoping barhop is close enough that we can have a few jars and be able to walk to the show.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:How close; walking distance is it to the Danforth music hall? I'll be going to a Stereophonics show there in September. I'm hoping barhop is close enough that we can have a few jars and be able to walk to the show.
It's a mildly refreshing 1.1 km walk.

Although you might also want to cross the street to Acropolis Pies & Pastries to get a Bougatsa or Spinach Pie for a snack along the way. It's delicious.
In Beerum Veritas

KW1

Post by KW1 »

It's great to see Bar Hop doing well still. I remember when it first opened in 2012 and I was out of province. I still got there by the end of the year and posted a great review here. Great great food to go with a great great beer selection.

http://www.bartowel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8043
That thread has been dormant for a long time.

Bar Hop Bar is still a top 1% rated restaurant in TO on Tripadvisor. I supplied some of the first pictures and one still displays prominently.

Cheers!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Had an excellent walk around Danforth. Only Cafe we jumping as always. Most draft beers are $7 with the tax in.

Nearby Bar Hop 3 seems a bit quiet for a Friday. Wonder if it's the comparatively high prices for the (15oz) pours, plus the vibe of the place seems to lack something I can't put my finger on. I did think the front window seating is a good feature and the staff are cool. I hope this place is doing OK.
In Beerum Veritas