Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Her Father’s Cider Bar + Kitchen

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Her Father’s Cider Bar + Kitchen

Post by Craig »

http://www.momandhops.ca/mega-cider-bar ... g-toronto/

A cider bar is planning to open with 75 ciders on offer. Cool concept, I hope it works out for them. No idea where they're going to come up with that many ciders.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:http://www.momandhops.ca/mega-cider-bar ... g-toronto/

A cider bar is planning to open with 75 ciders on offer. Cool concept, I hope it works out for them. No idea where they're going to come up with that many ciders.
think Keep6 is bringing in a few Normandy ciders. unsure if they're on tap or not.
Ontario has a fair amount of (sub-par) ciders now. you can easily have a dozen taps dedicated to Ontario.
so that leaves...another 60 taps? hah.

as we know, there is not a positive correlation between quantity and quality. 75 taps and "mega cider bar" make me think it will be the RealSports of cider bars.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I doubt it's 75 taps. That's got to be including bottles.

Cider is a good one to have lots of options, since it doesn't spoil as quickly as most styles of beer does. In bottles, anyway. How long does a keg of cider keep?

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

atomeyes wrote:
Craig wrote:http://www.momandhops.ca/mega-cider-bar ... g-toronto/

so that leaves...another 60 taps? hah.
Doesn't say anything about 75 ciders on tap, just 75 total selection. There are somewhere around 50 different ciders at the LCBO, so....pretty easy to hit 75 ciders I'd think.

I almost never drink cider, but ya....nice to see new concepts popping up.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

eh.
i'll wait until Jen Agg opens her cider bar/restaurant in Kensington Market.
proper chef and what will be a well-curated cider list (as opposed to quantity vs quality).

also, Chantecler has some amazing private-order ciders available, if you are both food and cider inclined

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Does the presence of lesser ciders in the fridge offend you for some reason?

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

I used to dismiss ciders up until recently. That was before I discovered some magically funky, sour, and deep French/Spanish farmhouse ciders.

There's a great place in SF for this:
http://www.upcidersf.com

Sadly, even the very best ciders (like the wonderfully sour crabapple one I had a year ago) in Ontario don't hold a candle to what's out there worldwide. The real trick for this bar to be interesting will be private orders from abroad.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

napoleon wrote:I used to dismiss ciders up until recently. That was before I discovered some magically funky, sour, and deep French/Spanish farmhouse ciders.

There's a great place in SF for this:
http://www.upcidersf.com

Sadly, even the very best ciders (like the wonderfully sour crabapple one I had a year ago) in Ontario don't hold a candle to what's out there worldwide. The real trick for this bar to be interesting will be private orders from abroad.
If they do have interesting ciders on tap, it may help me get "in to them" as well. Having the option to do some clider flights could be cool....as I just wouldn't want to pony up for a full glass of anything I've ever had before.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

According to Ratebeer there are 62 ciders produced in Ontario that I have not rated. So that's not including all the one's I have tried already. That doesn't include Quebec, or imports from elsewhere. Hitting 75 is not going to be hard.

Just variations from Revel, Spirit Tree, and West Ave would likely get the number over 50.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

JerCraigs wrote:According to Ratebeer there are 62 ciders produced in Ontario that I have not rated. So that's not including all the one's I have tried already. That doesn't include Quebec, or imports from elsewhere. Hitting 75 is not going to be hard.

Just variations from Revel, Spirit Tree, and West Ave would likely get the number over 50.
Lots of those aren't going to be available all the time though.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Maybe, maybe not. They don't show any signs of slowing down. I would imagine having a dedicated cider bar would only encourage them.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

JerCraigs wrote:Maybe, maybe not. They don't show any signs of slowing down. I would imagine having a dedicated cider bar would only encourage them.
that isn't the rate limiting step.

west ave will eventually be doing great things on a larger scale (once their farm's producing apples). but things like Revel Cider's recent anniversary line is a good example of great cider that will be available once a year, if lucky. same with Hop X and pretty much anything from West Ave that isn't Cherriosity and Heritage Dry

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Here's the thing, and some of you may remember this from beer ca. 2006-7.

One of the reasons there wasn't a lot of interesting beer was because there wasn't really a showcase for it. With two cider specific bars, you're going to see more high quality, interesting ciders being offered more frequently because there will be an incentive to make them more frequently. Plus, with the reforms to the pricing structure of Ontario cider coming, you're going to see it suddenly be more lucrative to produce the stuff. When you consider that you've got this bar and Jen Agg's place coming in addition to supermarket sales, that's sort of an unprecedented category expansion for a beverage in Ontario. Cider's going to do what beer did, except faster. Four years, maybe, instead of ten.
saintjohnswort.ca

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:Does the presence of lesser ciders in the fridge offend you for some reason?
probably as much as "75 ciders in house!" lures you to go to a bar.

nickw

Post by nickw »

At Her Father’s, he’ll showcase experimental one-offs on 12 rotating Ontario-dedicated taps. “There aren’t many traditional cider apples that are native to Ontario,” he says, “and that’s forced our cider producers to get creative with things like cherry or orange infusions, barrel aging, and adding hops.” There will also be a list of 75 international bottles, including hard-to-source ones from France, Spain, the U.K. and New Zealand.
At this point, it doesn't sound like this place will be the Loose Moose of cider bars, which is good...