Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Goose Island Brewpub

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Goose Island Brewpub

Post by Craig »

Ontario Beverage Net ‏@OntarioBevNet Apr 4
Goose Island is opening a Brewpub in Toronto on Esplanade.

Despite the Evil Empire aspect, I fully support the expansion of the GI brand into Toronto/Ontario. Hopefully this leads to some of the rarer brews being available.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Interesting...have never been to a Goose Island brewpub, but I'm happy when any new beer spot opens!

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Went to the Goose Island pub at O'Hare Airport. It was shit. Hopefully, this is not the same.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

BakaGaijin wrote:Went to the Goose Island pub at O'Hare Airport. It was shit. Hopefully, this is not the same.
Well, to be fair there...have you ever been impressed by any airport bar or restaurant? I know I haven't.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

El Pinguino wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:Went to the Goose Island pub at O'Hare Airport. It was shit. Hopefully, this is not the same.
Well, to be fair there...have you ever been impressed by any airport bar or restaurant? I know I haven't.
Laurelwood Brewery at PDX was pretty good.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

El Pinguino wrote:
I've been to the Clybourn location and wasn't particularly impressed either. It was fine, but It wasn't as good as the Amsterdam brewpub, for example. But that was just on some random day. They host events and stuff at these places that are pretty good. Heck, they might even brew Lolita or something there on occasion.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I've been to the one in Wrigleyville . It was a standard sports bar with typical pub food. Obviously some good beers on tap but it would not be difficult to replicate the atmosphere or menu regardless of the airport location.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Ugh, the Esplanade. Douchebag central, but touristy, so I guess it kinda makes sense.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Gavin wrote:Ugh, the Esplanade. Douchebag central, but touristy, so I guess it kinda makes sense.
is it that bad these days? I used to work in that area a long time ago but rarely go now. I find the King West area, near WVRST, a shitshow on weekends.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

El Pinguino wrote:
New Belgium in Denver has a perfectly respectable brewpub. The GI in O'Hare has some of the least comfortable places to hang out and worst staff of any place in the airport.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

El Pinguino wrote:
Gavin wrote:Ugh, the Esplanade. Douchebag central, but touristy, so I guess it kinda makes sense.
is it that bad these days? I used to work in that area a long time ago but rarely go now. I find the King West area, near WVRST, a shitshow on weekends.
That area of King W is definitely worse. As one of my friends said, "If douchebags could fly, King and Portland would be an airport."