Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

La Carnita Eglinton/Good Fortune bar (basement)

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

La Carnita Eglinton/Good Fortune bar (basement)

Post by atomeyes »

Just got back from the opening night at the latest La Carnita.

It's in the former Philthy McNasties location (barf) and it's probably one of the nicest toronto resto renos i've seen.

first, the upstairs. think of a Miami-style bar/restaurant. 2 patios, with one including really nice roll-up window seating to face the backside of the restaurant bar. there's also a Sweet Jesus ice cream store, which had a 30 person line at 8:30 PM.

but the basement's what would interest us the best. they turned it into a faux dive bar/beer lounge/snack bar that they call Good Fortune.
Food's a small, snack menu (chicken fingers, hamburger). but the beer list is quite alright. a few Henderson (booo) offerings, 3 or so Left Field beer, and about 10 other draught lines with local stuff.
but they also had 3 draught lines of Omnipollo beer. how they got Swedish beer on tap, I do not know. I don't think anyone else in Ontario (maybe Canada?) has it.
last night, there was:
Nebuchadnezzar
mango IPA
pineapple gose

the Good Fortune decor is pretty amazing. it will be a great winter spot to hang out in (sorry, C'est What crowd. it literally is the complete opposite of what CW is. patio lanterns, a cool shaped bar, a really good, energetic vibe. doesn't feel like your uncle Barry's basement)

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

atomeyes wrote:Just got back from the opening night at the latest La Carnita.

It's in the former Philthy McNasties location (barf) and it's probably one of the nicest toronto resto renos i've seen.

first, the upstairs. think of a Miami-style bar/restaurant. 2 patios, with one including really nice roll-up window seating to face the backside of the restaurant bar. there's also a Sweet Jesus ice cream store, which had a 30 person line at 8:30 PM.

but the basement's what would interest us the best. they turned it into a faux dive bar/beer lounge/snack bar that they call Good Fortune.
Food's a small, snack menu (chicken fingers, hamburger). but the beer list is quite alright. a few Henderson (booo) offerings, 3 or so Left Field beer, and about 10 other draught lines with local stuff.
but they also had 3 draught lines of Omnipollo beer. how they got Swedish beer on tap, I do not know. I don't think anyone else in Ontario (maybe Canada?) has it.
last night, there was:
Nebuchadnezzar
mango IPA
pineapple gose

the Good Fortune decor is pretty amazing. it will be a great winter spot to hang out in (sorry, C'est What crowd. it literally is the complete opposite of what CW is. patio lanterns, a cool shaped bar, a really good, energetic vibe. doesn't feel like your uncle Barry's basement)
There was a Swedish 'tent' or area at the beer fest this year, so perhaps it's going to become more available than just the bottles we've seen over the last couple of years.. assuming Keep6 is involved.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

rfrf wrote:
atomeyes wrote:Just got back from the opening night at the latest La Carnita.

last night, there was:
Nebuchadnezzar
mango IPA
pineapple gose

There was a Swedish 'tent' or area at the beer fest this year, so perhaps it's going to become more available than just the bottles we've seen over the last couple of years.. assuming Keep6 is involved.
pretty sure Omnipollo is not represented by Keep6. i may be wrong...
think it's some agency called Craft?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

atomeyes wrote:pretty sure Omnipollo is not represented by Keep6. i may be wrong...
Yep, they are repped by the Craft Brand Company: https://www.facebook.com/CraftBrandCo/

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Cass wrote:
atomeyes wrote:pretty sure Omnipollo is not represented by Keep6. i may be wrong...
Yep, they are repped by the Craft Brand Company: https://www.facebook.com/CraftBrandCo/
And yes, the Swedish stuff was brought in as part of the TFOB. Pretty sure it's a one-off. But the people at Good Fortunes say they're really dedicated to bringing in the best craft they can. They're also starting an aged beers program.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

biegaman wrote:They're also starting an aged beers program.
We already have the LCBO for that

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Cass wrote:
well hush my mouth

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I've heard the brewer from omnipollo will be at this location tonight doing a meet and greet. anyone else have details on this?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

From FB:

HEY BREW SNOBS

We've got a treat for you tonight. At 8:30pm, the head brewer and founder of Omnipollo will be here chatting anything beer. We have 3 taps of Omnipollo. No one else in Toronto let alone north America has Omnipollo on tap!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Finally got around to checking this place out the other day. Very disappointing. This place follows the idiotic trend of crazy loud music. When the waitress couldn't even hear our drink order over the whiny. pounding blithering rap, we just packed it in and left.

There are too many stupid restaurant consultants going around telling proprietors to crank it. Apparently it makes people eat faster and turns more tables. In this case it turned the table before we even ordered.

These types of places deserve to fail. A quick scan of the pretty empty room at peak hour showed what people there were just sitting staring into their phones, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it go.

Also, a glance at the food menu suggest they are way too ambitious there too. The prices look to be pretty steep.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Not sure how much longer they will be in business after the idiots published "grab her by her taco" .

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

BakaGaijin wrote:Not sure how much longer they will be in business after the idiots published "grab her by her taco" .
yeah, totally not my thing.
deleted them from FB and IG. i don't need to be associated with or supporting talk like that.