Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Eastbound Brewing Co. - Queen & Broadview

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sstackho
Bar Fly

Eastbound Brewing Co. - Queen & Broadview

Post by sstackho »

In my neck of the woods.

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2016/10 ... t_brewpub/

Toronto is about to boast a sprawling new brewpub, complete with a full kitchen and retail shop. Eastbound Brewing Co. will open smack dab in the heart of resurgent Riverside in a 3,500 square foot space right beside the Broadview Hotel. The opening date is pegged at sometime in early 2017.

The open concept, 80-seat space will include a fully functioning in-house brewery, a beer focused kitchen and menu from chef Tara Lee, a retail shop with cans to takeaway and suds from Brewmaster David Lee, formerly of Kensington Brewing Company, Mill Street Brewery and Grand River Brewing.

The building's history includes a furniture store and short lived cinema called the Teck Theatre. Visitors will be able to see the kitchen and brewery from any seat in the house.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

file me under "cynical".
unsure how a full brewery can fit in that space, but hey, it's possible (swore the ceilings were 11 ft ceilings).
also, if it's the same building i'm thinking of, the landlord had insisted on a demolition clause.

one final groan and grump:
Brewmaster David Lee, formerly of Kensington Brewing Company, Mill Street Brewery and Grand River Brewing.
Kensington hasn't brewed a drop of beer on their own, yet he was the brewmaster.
Grand River isn't something i'd brag about.
and Mill Street is something. 4 years at Mill St is better than nothing. but did he create any recipes?
perhaps his Seibel training will erase some of the above flaws and fears i have of it being nothing but a crappy, generic brewery.
i feel my cynicism disappearing and peace coming over my body...
oh wait. found this tidbit:
Eastbound Brewing is being founded by a team that includes brewmaster David Lee (previously of Kensington Brewing, Mill Street & Grand River), his wife and chef Tara Lee (currently sous chef at Bar Hop Brewco), brand lead Adam Stiles (popular TV meteorologist on CityNews and longtime craft beer lover), and managing partner Dave Watson.
ugggg...

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

atomeyes wrote:
Eastbound Brewing is being founded by a team that includes brewmaster David Lee (previously of Kensington Brewing, Mill Street & Grand River), his wife and chef Tara Lee (currently sous chef at Bar Hop Brewco), brand lead Adam Stiles (popular TV meteorologist on CityNews and longtime craft beer lover), and managing partner Dave Watson.
ugggg...
Keep in mind this is Leslieville. They might just succeed by selling mason jars instead of growlers, or handing out macrame totes, assuming they will have carry out. :lol:

Anyway, let's give anybody a chance before they actually execute. You never know what genius lurks out there. With recent reports of difficult barley crops due to rain, a meteorologist might just be a good thing to have on the team.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I think you're confusing Leslieville with Queen West and Ossington Village.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:I think you're confusing Leslieville with Queen West and Ossington Village.
the bar will have valet stroller parking and a standard 1 hour weekend brunch queue
better?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Much.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Craig wrote:I think you're confusing Leslieville with Queen West and Ossington Village.
No, I meant where beards go to breed... :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Beer news from EB:
Eastbound Brewing Company is thrilled to announce that the first round of beers are ready and will all be released at their launch party set for Saturday July 29 starting at 4 p.m. at the brewpub (700 Queen Street East Toronto, ON M4M 1G9).

The opening lineup to hit the taps and for take-away will consists of: Double Dry Hopped-IPA, Pale Ale, Saison, Hefeweizen & Porter. “We chose these first to be a good representation of how much variety we'll be producing in the future with beers to come,” says Dave Lee, Brewmaster.

"We're really excited to add fresh, quality beer brewed here in Riverside. This neighbourhood is so vibrant and welcoming, and now putting our beer in the line-up, we hope it'll add another great reason to be here."" says managing partner, Dave Watson.

Eastbound Brewing Co. is bringing the Crowler® to Toronto for the first time. To kick off their retail operation, Eastbound will be offering Crowler® fills of their own beers. Not sure what a Crowler® is? It is a 950 mL (~32 oz) can that will be filled fresh from the taps at Eastbound and seamed on the spot for you to take home and share with your family and friends. “We love the Crowler®! It is a similar concept to the heavy and breakable glass growler, but with so much less hassle of washing, storing and returning it for deposit. You can simply recycle the can the same way you do with your empties now.” says Adam Stiles, Brand Lead at Eastbound. “Plus it is better for the beer, the seal keeps out any oxygen and the can blocks out the light...two things that aren’t too kind to beer.” Crowler® fills will be available as soon as this weekend, with 355mL cans to follow in August.

Brunch is a weekend staple in Toronto’s east end, and Eastbound Brewing Co. is bringing a beery brunch to the Riverside neighbourhood. Starting Sunday July 23rd Eastbound will be opening the doors for the brunch crowd at 10 am. Eastbound is going to remain open through the entire day with brunch being served from 10am-2pm, a bar menu from 2-4pm and the dinner menu from 4-11pm. What can you expect from the brunch menu? “Brunch is an extension of our dinner menu. I'm really looking forward to the house made sausage, scrambled eggs and grilled leek chimichurri.” says chef Tara Lee. “We will now be open all day [10 am to close], whether it's brunch before you head to the market, a snack after your midday workout or oysters and beer to finish off the weekend.” Brunch will run on the remaining Sundays in July before moving to both Saturday and Sunday starting the first weekend of August.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Went on Sunday since they finally started selling their own beers.

Did a flight, left out the saison. Flights are four beers. I had the hefe, APA, IPA and porter.

The hefe was very weak. I've brewed better wheat beers.
The APA had some character and I liked it. Nice aroma and flavour.
The IPA was nothing like what they claimed on the beer menu. The APA was better IMHO.
The porter was perfectly fine.

If I find myself out in Leslieville already for something I'd consider dropping in again. However I'm not going out there purposefully for EastBound.
lister

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Was there on Friday. I had the Summit APA, the Belgian Wit and the oatmeal stout. I thought the Summit and the stout were better than average. I'm not a fan of Belgian wit's but was seduced by the write up, but it didn't change my mind. I was generally pretty happy with the place. I would not go across town for this but I'm happy to have it in my end of town.