Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

King Taps - First Canadian Place

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sstackho
Bar Fly

King Taps - First Canadian Place

Post by sstackho »

Yet another one.

https://nowtoronto.com/food-and-drink/f ... -beer-bar/

King Taps, set to open in First Canadian Place, promises 50 beers on tap.

There's no doubt that craft beer has gone mega-mainstream, but you know a trend has hit a whole new level when a giant beer hall sets up shop in one of Toronto's biggest office towers (a block away from another giant, soon-to-open beer hall).

King Taps, a brand-new spot that promises 50 taps of local craft beer, is about to open in First Canadian Place (100 King West) and is currently hiring. "It will feature two levels, two bars, and loads of seats, because we want there to be room for everyone," the management writes in a vendor call. "Oh, and our patios promise to become an instant Toronto legend as soon as the sun is shining."

Meanwhile, a couple of blocks away at Yonge and Richmond, the first Toronto location of Calgary-based chain Craft Beer Market is also nearing completion, and is slated to open in early 2017. After-work drinkers, start your engines.

nataliam@nowtoronto.com | @nataliamanzocco

Automatic

Post by Automatic »

Maybe this is going to take over the old Vertical restaurant space that O&B closed this past spring. It'll be nice to have something connected to the PATH for post-work beers instead of the "Duke" spots.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

My friend is involved in the construction. When we spoke at Christmas, the schedule was for an April opening. Not sure if they are still on schedule though.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Latest word I have is that May 24ish is the target date.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I went by it today on the King car and the hoardings are down, and it looked like people were sitting at the (a) bar.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Told that they have started training of staff but license is tied to seats on the patio and patio isn't ready yet and that training is a like 4 weeks of work. There is also the Toronto Beer Exchange opening nearby and they will not open at the same time. Sooooo..... it's a secret but late June?

screw2000

Post by screw2000 »

Must be close to opening -- they were doing staff interviews today when I walked by.

From what I could see through the windows:

- 1st floor / streetside -- looks like they combined a few smaller spaces together (used to be a newsstand and the UPS Store there)

- 2nd floor -- seems more open than the old Vertical bar space. I'm not sure what they did with the Vertical dining room (was a glassed-in space over the clothing store below -- it's all drywalled over now).

- 2nd floor patio -- same size and configuration (wasn't going to change without heavy demolition), still under construction

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Opens this Friday at 5 according to their Facebook page.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I won't render a final judgement until I go and experience the place for myself (if I go at all), but I get the feeling that King Taps will not be catering to me or most other Bar Towellers. A massive bar located in the heart of the financial district with young, hip staff in their early twenties and marketing that has relatively little to say about the beer and food they'll be offering doesn't really appeal to me. Also, "50 taps" doesn't necessarily mean 50 good taps, and any time a bar veers into that territory you have to wonder about freshness and clean lines. Hopefully my initial sense is wrong and the place kicks ass, but I don't quite understand peoples' interest in this bar. Is it because you work close by? I am genuinely curious to know.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

I'm interested because I work about 1 minute away. But I am also very skeptical. it is apparently owned by the same group that runs the Cactus Club restaurants. I don't expect it will be getting anything exciting, or that GLB et. al. will be sending one-offs to this location. But I do expect that they will have some decent beers available. Considering the immediate vicinity, that's a nice change!
Ren

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Their menu and taps list is upon their site now.
Overall a good tap list. Some reasonably priced beers, some over priced. Or go for a Grandmas Boy 2017 bottle for $44 if you want to go crazy.
$19.75 for nachos...is that a Toronto record? (before chicken or guac).

I can see it being successful there...1/2 price pizzas after 11...might need to visit late one night for that.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

El Pinguino wrote: Their menu and tap list (are) up on their site now. Overall a good tap list. Some reasonably priced beers, some overpriced...$19.75 for nachos...is that a Toronto record?
The tap list is indeed good. More than willing to eat my words on that. The food prices for most items would prevent me from eating there. That said, in light of the solid draft lineup and easy access via GO/streetcar, I'll probably give the place a shot. Still a bit put off by the Mascot-like branding/marketing, but here's to hoping it's a worthwhile spot.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

CTBrewing

Post by CTBrewing »

Tap List does look good but holy hell, the price point is ridiculous!....I mean 7.50 for a Coors light?

I haven't been home to Canada in 5 years, is that normal prices in bars now?

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

I've been a couple times now (once on Saturday and again last night). Super young staff with little to no beer knowledge (they're at least friendly and the service is on point), solid tap list and pretty good food.

As a sports fan, I'm a bit of a sucker for places like this and The Craft Brasserie. They're pretty much the only places with solid, big tap lists in the city where you can also catch the game and get a decent bite of food (as far as I know).

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Quotashun wrote:I've been a couple times now (once on Saturday and again last night). Super young staff with little to no beer knowledge (they're at least friendly and the service is on point), solid tap list and pretty good food.

As a sports fan, I'm a bit of a sucker for places like this and The Craft Brasserie. They're pretty much the only places with solid, big tap lists in the city where you can also catch the game and get a decent bite of food (as far as I know).
I like Craft Brasserie and am going to check out King Taps today. You could add Loose Moose to your "sports bar with lots of craft beer" list.