Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Good brewpubs & pubs in Boston?

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Good brewpubs & pubs in Boston?

Post by lister »

I may be going to Boston later this year and was wondering if anyone found any nice places there. I've been there last year but never got a chance to try any places other than the phony Cheers bar located in the tourist trap market area. I'm primarily interested in places that have a good variety on tap and in bottles. ie: Not just Irish taps.
lister

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

My one visit to Boston was quite a few years ago, and I wasn't as serious about tracking down good beer places as I am now. But I did visit & enjoy the Fenway Park location of Beer Works.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

The Moan and Dove is about two hours away from Boston (in Amherst, in the middle of nowhere, next to a gas station), but I've heard that the trek out there would be more than worth it. They recently held the US launch of Dieu du Ciel's Péché Mortel.

For more places in Boston, check out the following list:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowTour.asp?TourID=46

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

It's been a few years since I've been to Boston, but there are some great bars there. Definitely check out the Sunset Grill (in the RB list) which has something like 120 taps. And there's a sister pub right next door which has lots too. And if I recall correctly the Sunset serves in yard glasses which is cool. Be warned that not everything is fresh with that many taps.

Also worth checking out is Harvard Square in Cambridge which is a fun place generally and has a bunch of pubs, one that I can remember is John Harvard's brewhouse.

Manul

Post by Manul »

I've been to both Sunset Bar and Grill and Anam Cara and I think these are a must try if you are in the area. I personally liked Anam Cara better because of the large number of belgian and west coast IPAs on tap. They both have websites. Anam Cara website lists their tap selection and the bottles they carry as well.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

My two favourite brewpubs during a visit four or five years ago were Commonwealth Brewing and the Back Bay Brewing Co., though I have a suspicion one or both may now be defunct. Also, Sam Adams has (or had) a dedicated pub with the full range of their beers at 710 Boylston.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Stayed at the Back Bay Hilton several years ago and enjoyed Back Bay Brewing which was within walking distance. Nothing out of the ordinary but some decent brews.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

I was in Boston back in 1998, hit the Sunset, also went on a brewery tour at the Sam Adams brewery... Sunset was awesome, took some pictures of all the taps, pretty wild stuff...

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

We went to these places when we visited Boston a couple of years ago, in order of preference:

1) John Harvard's Brewpub at Harvard Square: had an excellent lunch and tried the sampler of about 9 beers. friendly staff. would definitely return next time I'm in Boston. if you are into squash or tennis, check out Charlie Johnson's Tennis and Squash store around the corner. for a picture of the 9 beers, the pulled pork sandwich and the monte cristo, check out this goofy picture (nice posture!) :D http://www.inertiaboy.com/pictures/Bost ... up3677.jpg

2) Cambridge Brewing Company: closer to MIT than Harvard; about 6-8 beers, good food. a bit out of the way and a little tricky to find. nice patio. http://www.inertiaboy.com/pictures/Bost ... up3744.jpg

3) Boston Beer Works downtown brewpub location: about 10 different beers; pretty good but not outstanding.

We wanted to get out to the Sunset Grill but it was too much a trek given the time we had.

For a good beer store downtown, we've had good luck with Bauer Wines http://www.bauerwines.com/. My sister dropped in to get me some things for my birthday and the owner threw in a couple of glasses as his part of the present. Now that's service!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

The Beerworks on Canal will be a definite stop. The other places outside of Boston will be more difficult due to other party members not being gung-ho about brewpubs. I'll plot them out anyways to see if any are around where we'll be staying. Thanks for the replies.
lister

Images

Post by Images »

Excellent timing! I'm in Boston in the beginning of May, so now know where to go.

But if people have more suggestions, all the better, keep 'em coming!

Steady Eddy

Post by Steady Eddy »

Ditto on The Moan and Dove. While it is a bit of a trek out to Amherst it's definitely worth it. If you're driving from Toronto, Amherst is pretty much on the way to Boston. I have been to the Moan and Dove on a few occasions and while very small, the atmosphere is awesome and the selection is very plentiful. Last time I was there they hosted the crack of the first keg of Odyssey from Allagash. With friendly staff and great beer you can't go wrong. Amherst is also a very old beautiful New England town worthy of a visit. You can go to Emily Dickinson's house!

Images

Post by Images »

Heh, I'm posting from Boston as I've got a few minutes right now to kill. (Joys of work conferences w/ free 'net access)

I tried "Rock Bottom Brewery" yesterday. Here's the link from ratebeer: http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlac ... aceID=1860

Not a bad place, but has the standard commericial polished feel to it (think Jack Astor's style), nice patio that's good for lunch if it's sunny. Had their Weisbeer (limited time special), and it was surprisingly good. Food was good quality (and large quantity - "half sandwich and salad" is equiv to a normal sandwich and half salad) as well.

I'd say this is a good lunch style spot if you're in Boston (downtown) on business.

Now to find other places that aren't 200 miles away by cab.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Now to find other places that aren't 200 miles away by cab.
If you are in the area near Rock Bottom, it isn't too difficult to get to John Harvard's in Cambridge. Just walk to the northeast corner of Boston Common to get to the Park Street station and then take the red line 4 stops to Harvard station. Alternately, you can take the green line from Arlington or Boylston and change at Park Street for the red line. The subway map is here: http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/schedules_subway.asp

Once you get out at Harvard station, ask where Dunster street is (it's perpendicular to the main drag) or memorize this map. The pub is about a block south of the main street and down some stairs.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

I’m heading to Boston for a Red Sox vs Yankees game next Saturday. Now I’m going with a bunch of people who could care less about good beer, or beer in general. I’m sure I can swing a dinner at Beer Works if it’s not to far from Fenway. My biggest interest would be to find a liquor store in the area where I can pick up some great American micros to bring back.

I’m having a beer tasting tonight of all my beer I picked up last week in Michigan. A friend's wife was in Pennsylvania recently and brought him some local stuff. I’ll let you know how it goes.