Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Weekly Volo Report - June 6th

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DukeofYork = Richard

Weekly Volo Report - June 6th

Post by DukeofYork = Richard »

New Bottles:
Same as last week with the addition of Southern Tier IPA

Cask:
McLean's Pale Ale (May 31st)
Durham's ESB (June 4th) - with special additions!

Great Divine (the special beer for Volo) might be in next week.

On Tap:
La Chouffe
Sgt. Major's IPA
Affligem Blond
Ephemere
Holy Smoke
Denison's Dunkel
King Pilsner
Denison's Weiss
Black Oak Pale
Creemore

I couldn't stop in today so I jotted them down in a spare moment. I hope to be back this week.
Last edited by DukeofYork = Richard on Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

So they still have Lagunitas, I may be tempted to stop in
Great Divine is what?

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

northyorksammy wrote:So they still have Lagunitas, I may be tempted to stop in
Great Divine is what?
I think from earlier posts that it's supposed to be Great Divide, from Colorado.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Confirmed with Ralph that it is Great Divide.

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

Yes, they are getting the Hercules Double IPA and the Oak-aged Yeti Imperial Stout I believe. Both are delicious.

mds

Post by mds »

borderline_alcoholic wrote:Yes, they are getting the Hercules Double IPA and the Oak-aged Yeti Imperial Stout I believe. Both are delicious.
Wow, looking forward to the Oak-aged Yeti. We had it in line for tasting at the ratebeer gathering on Saturday in Montreal but we were pretty dead by that point so this would be a great opportunity to redeem myself.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Scotch Irish's cask-conditioned Captain Cascade is available right now at Volo. I had a pint this afternoon; it was very nice (and I can still taste the hops :D).

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Damn! I was in at lunchtime today and they told me the C.C. wouldn't be on until Ralph came back at 5pm...

Regardless I had a southern tier IPA (good) and a Sierra Nevade Bigfoot (better) to slake my thirst.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Wheatsheaf wrote:Scotch Irish's cask-conditioned Captain Cascade is available right now at Volo. I had a pint this afternoon; it was very nice (and I can still taste the hops :D).

Perry is this a second batch or remainders of the previous?

Huh, having giving that some thought I am not sure which intrigues me more, a repeat or a nicely aged batch! :P

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Each cask of Captain Cascade represents an entire batch, so every one is unique, and perhaps, a little different.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

mds

Post by mds »

PRMason wrote:Each cask of Captain Cascade represents an entire batch, so every one is unique, and perhaps, a little different.
Tried it again last evening...it's in top shape and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Thanks Perry!

antirealist

Post by antirealist »

Yet another wonderful afternoon at Volo for me today: more Henry James, over a couple of pints of the Captain Cascade. I have never yet had an unsatisfying pint of Scotch-Irish beer. Keep them coming, please.

Publican

Post by Publican »

I also had a couple of pints of Captain Cascade at Volo yesterday. When I walked in the first pint I had was Dennison's Weissbier as I had not had that in a while and wanted to try it on one of the hottest days of the year. It quenched my thirst perfectly and I will have to pickup some Erdinger Weiss to see how that compares. The Captain Cascade was excellent and Ralph said it had a high alcohol content (can't rember exact alc./vol) and to drink some water with it, which was a excellent point. Would have also liked to have some Dogsbody as I haven't had that in a while.

I talked with a couple from Buffalo and they said that Volo is being talked about a lot down there. We talked about pubs both here and in Buffalo as well as the Iraq war and Bush. They couldn't believe he was re elected and are worried about the loss of civil rights in the US. They expressed a desire to move to Canada.

Ralph talked about doing a cask beer festival in October. As well as
the cask ale he wants to feature cheese. A excellent idea, can't wait till October!

Crockett

Post by Crockett »

Ralph has recieved the O.A. Yeti and the Hercules, $16-$17. Both are great but the Yeti is especially amazing.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

antirealist wrote:Yet another wonderful afternoon at Volo for me today: more Henry James, over a couple of pints of the Captain Cascade. I have never yet had an unsatisfying pint of Scotch-Irish beer. Keep them coming, please.
OK perhaps I am ignorant - but what is a Henry James?