Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Weekly Volo Report - June 26th

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DukeofYork = Richard

Weekly Volo Report - June 26th

Post by DukeofYork = Richard »

After wisely avoiding Yonge yesterday (I don't like noise and commotion) I'm afraid I've got little to report. For most part see last week's post... but:

New On Tap
Mill Street Organic
Mill Street Stock (both of these were finishing up today)
(I wonder what the connexion is between the event and the choice here?)

Bottles:
Bavaria 8.6

Cask:
Granite IPA

I think I saw some Bartowellers in there tonight so they can expand my report ... I'm travelling tomorrow so I quickly ducked in and out with my notepad.
Last edited by DukeofYork = Richard on Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

The wife and I were at Volo for brunch today before checking out some of the Pride parade, and I don't recall seeing anything different from last week's report. The cask was Durham Triple X, and the tap line-up seemed to be pretty much the same.

I also want to give a public thank you to Ralph at Volo for once again proving himself to be one of the most friendly and accomodating bar/restaurant owners in town. The place was completely packed and insanely busy, so they were serving a smaller menu that usual, and were restricting beer sales to the taps and a few of the more mainstream bottles to make things easier on the servers. Ralph was doing prep in the kitchen, but stuck his head out and spotted me, so he came over to say hello. I commented that we were disappointed about the beer situation as we really wanted to try the Great Divide Oak-Aged Yeti Imperial Stout, but we certainly understood given how busy the place was.

Ralph excused himself at that point, and we figured he was heading back to the kitchen, but a couple of minutes later he reappeared at our table with a bottle of the Yeti and two glasses. And he returned a little while later to make sure we were enjoying it.

I love Volo! :D

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Bah! Dammit Greg, you need to tell me things like this in advance. [But what about MY needs!!! hehe ]

I was planning to check out the parade and possibly hit Volo since I have not yet tried the Yeti either. I might have actually dragged my butt downtown if I had known you guys were going.

That said, I probably enjoyed my day of putzing around the house after sleeping in a lot more than I think I would have enjoyed standing around in the hot sun. Meh, I waited this long to check out the parade another year won't hurt!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Sorry, Jer, it was a last-minute thing on our part. We used to go to the parade every year, but skipped the last couple due to our growing frustrations with the crowds and the increased commercialization of the event.

We decided on Sunday morning to go give it another chance, and actually had a pretty good time (although having a pint each with brunch, and then splitting the Yeti for "dessert" probably helped our mood somewhat... :) ). We found a fairly shady spot with an OK view of parade, and stuck around for an hour or so without getting cranky.

One thing I forgot to do, however, was to hit one of the patios on Church St. in search of the elusive Alexander Wood beer. That would've been a perfect choice for Pride.

Anyway, it looks like Blankboy and I will be meeting a few of our comic geek friends at Volo tonight at 6. If you're free, come on by.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

DukeofYork = Richard wrote:I think I saw some Bartowellers in there tonight so they can expand my report ...
Yes, as mentioned above, Blankboy and I were there with a couple of friends.

All I can really add is that Maclean's Pale Ale will be next on cask, possibly followed by Durham Signature.

Also, the mention here a couple of weeks ago that Wild Rose Industrial Park Ale was in stock at Volo was incorrect. Ralph does have an order in for some, but there have been some problems delaying it (not sure of the specifics, he just said that it has "gotten lost" twice already). He hopes to have it in soon, but can't say for sure when.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:Sorry, Jer, it was a last-minute thing on our part. We used to go to the parade every year, but skipped the last couple due to our growing frustrations with the crowds and the increased commercialization of the event.
Tourism = all those other people crowding and making noise where I just want to hang out and spend money.

Traffic = all those other people in cars where I want to drive.

A bit ironic isn't it?

I embrace the crowd at Beaches Jazz every year (well not literally... might get arrested.)
In Beerum Veritas

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

Belgian wrote:Tourism = all those other people crowding and making noise where I just want to hang out and spend money.

Traffic = all those other people in cars where I want to drive.

A bit ironic isn't it?
There is still a HUGE difference between issues with tourists and traffic as festivals get bigger and bigger and the obvious difference between a march with politcal objectives and an annual commericial festival driven primarily by out-of-towners spending money on food and beer - which is very blatantly what pride in Toronto became a long time ago.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

I miss the weekly report. :-(
Anyone been lately? Anything new to report? Specifically, what's on cask and what new bottles are in.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Blankboy wrote:I miss the weekly report. :-(
Anyone been lately? Anything new to report? Specifically, what's on cask and what new bottles are in.
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1827

It's rather weak on details though. Hehe.

As I said there, we're going back tonight so I'll take some notes this time and post later.
lister

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

lister wrote:
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1827

It's rather weak on details though. Hehe.

As I said there, we're going back tonight so I'll take some notes this time and post later.
Thanks! :-)
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Ralph said on Friday at the beer fest that he has two casks of Black Oak Hop Bomb (their Pale Ale with extra hopping). One was planned to be tapped yesterday or today, and the other next Sunday/Monday.

I didn't sound like he had much new in bottles recently, but he's working on a Hair Of The Dog order that he hopes will be arranged and in stock before the end of the year.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I didn't sound like he had much new in bottles recently, but he's working on a Hair Of The Dog order that he hopes will be arranged and in stock before the end of the year.
The Bieropholie guys in Quebec are putting together a similar order:
http://www.bieropholie.com/formulaires/ ... he_Dog.htm.
Based on their order, he might be looking at Rose, Adam, Fred, and Ruth.