Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Granite Brewpub

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DukeofYork = Richard

Granite Brewpub

Post by DukeofYork = Richard »

Hello all...

I'm wondering if anyone has been to the Granite lately... and might tell me how the food, service, and so on is of late. I've been desperately trying to save money for school next year (hence the lack of Volo reports recently) but I just got word today that I don't have to worry about that anymore.

So I'd like to take myself to the Granite (where I've never visited) for a few. Thoughts?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Since I live in the area I've been to the Granite about five or six times over the past 3-4 years. The food ranges from the typical pub grub quality to some half decent dishes. For beer I've only ever had their ringberry which I've found to be okay though I prefer KLB Raspberry Wheat over it. For another comparison, Granites brews are leaps and bounds better than Brutopia's watery stuff in Montreal.

I do prefer going to Bow & Arrow and the extinct Blue Meanie over Granite.
lister

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

The Granite was our local (less than 200 feet!) until we moved in March. We've always found the food to be ok, but we definitely wouldn't pick it for a place to just eat. Their wrap specials are pretty good, I've heard good reports from 3-4 people about their ribs, the soups can be excellent, and I always liked their burger.

Obviously, the main reason we'd go was for the beer. The IPA and Best Bitter Special are both excellent as cask-conditioned ales and the seasonal stout is quite good too (it's back in October, I think). I never was as keen on the summer ale (cask-conditioned!), but enjoyed it on hotter days. Pitchers can save you a couple of dollars if there are two+ of you, and the wings and pitcher special is a good deal.

The place can get quite busy on Friday nights so service can be slower just like anywhere else. During the week, it was a never a problem.

Be sure to check out the courtyard patio at the back. It's sheltered from the traffic and a pleasant way to spend an evening with friends.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I love the food at the granite but i have only ever been for special brewer dinners, and once for Valentines day so they had special menus on those nights.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I've always enjoyed the Granite. I've had many a solid lunch and brunch there. Service was good, and the beer is fresh and tasty (the cask ales are excellent). I'd be there more often if it was closer, but I do manage to get there maybe once/month.

DukeofYork = Richard

Post by DukeofYork = Richard »

I chickened out and ended up at the Rebel House (too many so-so opinions of the Granite). I knew the atmosphere at the bar would be good and I wasn't proved wrong.

The beer selection was a bit thin for those wanting darker ales, but I 'survived' with some Neustadt 10w30 and Arkell Best. The steak was lovely and the service better. Overall a nice experience. The one TV was tuned to the weather network... no music. Exactly as I like it. Conversation rather than thumping bass.

I thought such a place was extinct. Obviously not. I'd say it was worth the premium.

Lubaka

Post by Lubaka »

Did anyone else notice that the Granite hosted a Conservative press conference this morning? Hmmm. This makes me wonder: is the Granite Tory blue? If so, are there red, orange or green places to find good beer in Toronto? Any ideas? I haven't decided between red or orange, myself, and might seek a like-minded pub to watch the election results on Monday.

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Best be careful, Lubaka - it seems being non-Reform "blue" gets you in trouble around here ...

I think politics and beer just don't mix. Of course I don't think MIXing and beer mix.

Bartender - just pour me a good ale and try not to close any more hospitals. Or rehab centers. Or non-christian schools. Or homeless shelters. Or battered women's homes.

Beer is many colours, but blue isn't one of them ...
Last edited by HogTownHarry on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

The Halifax Keefe (Kevin?) actually ran for office in Halifax for the Conservatives.

Whatever.. Political affiliation is less interesting that the product you are producing. As beer lovers we should be asking what candidates will do to help small brewers.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

God...how could we have overlooked this important election opportunity...

Where do the candidates stand on the issue of quality beer; pricing, availability, deregulation etc...

Hey, Stephen Harper, you might even be able to get a Buzz Hargrove style public endorsement from the powerful Bartowel lobby group by declaring your support for better beer and more diversity. Can you imagine the wonderful photo op as Cass gives you a Bartowel t-shirt and a big hug of support?

Hell, I'd support Gilles Duceppe if he dropped a case of Chimay Blue on my doorstep.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The Ontario government is spending millions:
http://www.ontariocanada.com/ontcan/page.do?page=5927

But other than a pretty website,
http://www.ontariocraftbrewers.com/about/default.aspx I don't know if they've really done anything?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Responsible Drinker wrote:But other than a pretty website,
http://www.ontariocraftbrewers.com/about/default.aspx I don't know if they've really done anything?
They've done a fair bit, mainly via co-promotions at the LCBO. Most larger LCBO stores (and even some smaller ones) have set up dedicated OCB displays, and they've distributed maps and other promotional material for Ontario beer trips.

For those of us who have always been paying attention to the little guys, it probably doesn't look like much, but I think (or at least hope) that these efforts are raising their profile amongst the general public.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

The OCB efforts are attempting to be similar long-term to what the Ontario Wine Council and the VQA programs did. To the public it gives a somewhat united front and marketing face but it also serves to provide a legitimate lobbying force to government to represent our concerns and needs.

It is the second factor that is probably most important right now. There are some big changes coming in beer distribution and we need to be able to not let the new international owners of Labatt and Molson steamroll over us.

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Jon Walker wrote:God...how could we have overlooked this important election opportunity...

Where do the candidates stand on the issue of quality beer; pricing, availability, deregulation etc...

Hey, Stephen Harper, you might even be able to get a Buzz Hargrove style public endorsement from the powerful Bartowel lobby group by declaring your support for better beer and more diversity. Can you imagine the wonderful photo op as Cass gives you a Bartowel t-shirt and a big hug of support?

Hell, I'd support Gilles Duceppe if he dropped a case of Chimay Blue on my doorstep.
I have to admit this IS attractive to me too ... any candidate who was serious about, say, allowing boutique private beer stores in Ontario might make me ignore everything else he stood for and pretend my vote is for that reason, but unfortunately all that extra good (and strong) beer might lead me to need an ambulance, a hospital emergency ward that's actually open, and a competent doctor ... and I'm pretty sure Mr. Harper in power will mean fewer of the above, not more. Unless I PAY for it at a second-of-two tier private health care facility ...

Nah. Beer should be beyond politics (and Beyond Good And Evil too).

And I figure my vote is worth at LEAST a case of Westy 12 ... if you sell your soul, make sure you get a good price!

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

GregClow wrote:
Responsible Drinker wrote:But other than a pretty website,
They've done a fair bit, mainly via co-promotions at the LCBO. Most larger LCBO stores (and even some smaller ones) have set up dedicated OCB displays, and they've distributed maps and other promotional material for Ontario beer trips.
I was at the Duke of York on Tuesday, and that establishment now designates OCB beers on its menus. They don't have many at the Duke, but they were all neatly demarcated in a separate box with the OCB logo. It helped me find my beverage.

-Uncle Bobby
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"