Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Interested in more Cask Conditioned Real Ale?

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Are you interested in having the Victory Cafe serve a cask conditioned real ale?

Yes
92%
No
No votes
Don't care
8%

Total votes: 38

Beer Wench

Interested in more Cask Conditioned Real Ale?

Post by Beer Wench »

Don't know how many of you out there have visited the Victory Cafe in the Annex, but having served some of Ontario's (and Canada's) fine microbrews for several years now, we are thinking of adding a local cask conditioned real ale to our range. Now then, it would be a shame to see it go to waste, so we would like to guage potential interest. Please let me know what you think.
Cheers,
Beer Wench
Victory Cafe

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Fine establishment you have there! I don't live nearby, but any time I catch a movie at the Bloor, I stop in for a pint. Keep us posted, cask ale is a good thing and will be supported I believe if treated and served properly.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

It's a tough call. I live not too far from the Victory. Would I come in more frequently if there was a cask ale on tap? Perhaps...depends what it was. There are good cask ales and not so good ones available locally. What I'd suggest is going to Volo's cask ale event next month. You'll have a good chance to sample everything available locally and decide what suits you AND you can determine interest simply by looking at the turnout for the event. If it sells out both days then that's a pretty good indicator there is a demand.

I'm not sure how well the cask ales sell at Volo or Smokeless Joes on a regular basis though so from a business perspective it's hard to know the long term viability. However I'm guessing the Victory regulars know a thing or two about beer and would likely support a cask ale.

Publican

Post by Publican »

I would like the victory to serve cask ale. When it's on tap could you post which cask ale you'll be serving.

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

I have ben going to he Vistory once every month for the last two or three years, as have a couple of friends of mine who live a few blocks away. I would drink there more often if they had even a single beer engine serving cask ales.

Regards,

Uncle Bobby
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I'm not in that area very often, but when I am, I sometimes stop by for a pint. Having a cask ale on wouldn't necessarily make me visit more often, but when I did visit, I'd appreciate having it as an option.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I would like to TRY a cask ale!

Over a full period of evolution, since it changes constantly.
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I would have expected almost universal support for cask ale here, and from the votes it looks like this is the case.

I am a frequent patron of the Victory, and cask ale would definitely raise its profile in my mind. I already think the Victory is the best place for beer in the Annex and this would only solidify this.

Beer Wench

Post by Beer Wench »

Many thanks to all of you that responded to the poll, and for your individual comments. Given your (almost) unanimous support, we have begun discussions with Wellington Brewery who have been very helpful and accommodating. We now just need to choose between the two cask conditioned ales that they brew: Arkell Best Bitter or County Ale. I'd be interested to know the general consensus on these two ales and how you would rate them. All comments welcome.
Cheers,
Beer Wench
Victory Cafe

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Beer Wench wrote:Many thanks to all of you that responded to the poll, and for your individual comments. Given your (almost) unanimous support, we have begun discussions with Wellington Brewery who have been very helpful and accommodating. We now just need to choose between the two cask conditioned ales that they brew: Arkell Best Bitter or County Ale. I'd be interested to know the general consensus on these two ales and how you would rate them. All comments welcome.

Beer Wench, those are both fine beers to have on cask and I like them pretty much equally. I look forward to my next visit to the Victory as it's always been a great place to have quality beer.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Great news Beer Wench. May I suggest that you ensure that your deal with Wellington is non-exclusive, so you have the flexibility to switch/test different brands from time to time?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I for one find your cask ale idea exciting, I find the Wellington option takes the shine off it. For the love of beer...PLEASE do as Cass says. You get some Scotch Irish or Black Oak in there and then you are offering something truly unique in the neighborhood and something completely different from the other beers you serve. As I mentioned in an earlier post, go to the cask ale fest at Volo in three weeks and see what's available locally before tying that tap up to only one supplier.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I have to agree, the Wellington Beers are available on cask already. When they are fresh they are fine, but I find it far more enticing when I know a cask rotates (much like Volo does)...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Beer Wench wrote:Arkell Best Bitter or County Ale.
I found the bottled Arkell rather lacking in character (not that I'm an expert on BBs, just my own impression!) But I'd try either those you mention if I saw it on draught.

In fact, I never write off a beer before trying it a few times bottled and/or draught. I think Wellington makes some fine stuff and is a brewery to reckon with (being myself partial to the Dark, ID, and RIS.)
In Beerum Veritas

antirealist

Post by antirealist »

I do understand the expense of installing beer engines and so on, but I'd like to register another vote for a rotating cask beer. The Wellington beers are good, but are already fairly accessible in Toronto. Black Oak and Scotch Irish both brew some outstanding beers which are much harder to find in cask form, and they'd be a real attraction for beerophiles.

If it's at all possible, you should seriously consider mixing things up a bit.