Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Portland Beer House

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Yes, the most definitely need to complete the renovation, I think this place will be alright, I think the guys is just keeping it running as-is for now, and they don't have a liquor license yet to cover all that other space, once they do, and they actually open the kitchen I think it'll be great...
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

The July 2006 edition of Entertainment--the guide that comes with the The Movie Network--has a brief article entitled "Sweetness and light in a six-pack" by Raymond Beauchemin. Here's the interesting quotation: "Portland Beer House & Restaurant, 600 King ST. W. Fifty beers on tap this month, double that by end of year, in the old Amsterdam Brewery building"" (35). Fifty???? One Hundred???? Is this information even close to being correct?

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Maybe they are trying to rival the Great Lost Bear in Portland, Maine.

Everytime I hear Portland I get homesick, and not just for the beer!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

As of yesterday afternoon there are not 50 beers on tap. There's still around the 15 or so that's been there for some time.
lister

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

We wandered by on Friday night with the idea of going in. The not-so-interesting draft list coupled with an even less interesting food list meant we went somewhere else instead.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

tupalev wrote:Agreed, Wellington make some solid beers (I don't like the SPA at all, but the Arkell can be ok if served fresh and the other 3 are excellent beers).
I occasionally retry the SPA, but I can never get past that bitter nutshell sort of flavour. What the heck is that?

I love their other ales though. I've drank MANY pints of the County Ale! I should probably buy more their Imperial...

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

As oof today still no 50-100 taps.

The outdoor gear place that was in the southwest corner of the Holiday Inn on King St W. has moved in to where the "beer store" used to be at the Portland Beer House.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote:As oof today...
Lister stumbled while he was typing that....
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:Lister stumbled while he was typing that....
Drinking and typing, not always a good mix. :)

A couple of the keys on my Northgate keyboard are sticking sometimes. Northgate. Remember them? They made some great computers and the second best keyboard back in the day. The best of course being the IBM model M keyboard. I've rescued two of them over the years. If it wasn't for the fact that they're so damn loud I'd be using one at home and one at work. Man I love the model M. Heavier than most small children, can be used as a weapon if needed and those keys feel so lovely to push down. You wonder why RSI is so prevalent? Those shitty mushy keyboards that everyone uses. :evil:
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Kepboards today (with their lousy typing action) are absolute shit quality, and yet cooler-looking (oowee who cares.)

Much like Cell Phones & Korean automobiles. Everything is made to be used for a year or two.

I refuse to give up my old Mac ADB keyboard at work! The left side 'command' key is worn right through the enamel.
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Riding by on the King streetcar a couple of days ago, it looked like the banners that had been hanging around the patio of the Portland were gone. Maybe I was seeing things - we had already passed the place, so it was just out of the corner of my eye - but it looked pretty desolate. Have they closed up?

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

GregClow wrote:Riding by on the King streetcar a couple of days ago, it looked like the banners that had been hanging around the patio of the Portland were gone. Maybe I was seeing things - we had already passed the place, so it was just out of the corner of my eye - but it looked pretty desolate. Have they closed up?
Taylor's Outdoor Gear moved in the space above the Portland Beer House and their entrance is actually where the Amsterdam beer store entrance used to be.

As soon as September hit, Portland Beer House moved all their patio equipment inside and they changed their hours, not opening until 4pm now. Since the patio is not used, Taylor's Outdoor Gear affixed a huge poster on the patio fence of the Portland Beer House, making the place look a lot less like a bar.

I was actually sitting on one of two remaining picnic tables on their patio a couple of weeks ago at 4:00pm and waited until about 4:20pm and still the place did not open, so I went somewhere else. This place will go down fast if they don't smarten up!

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Drove by today, and the place looked like it was closed up for good.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

sstackho wrote:Drove by today, and the place looked like it was closed up for good.
Yeah, I was going to post the same thing. I went by on Friday, and the signs they had in the window previously were gone.

What a waste - it's in such a great location for a place like this to thrive, if the owners just took the time to work at it.

mvanner

Post by mvanner »

I've been keeping an eye on the Portland Beer House nee Amsterdam and I think it's served its last pint. The electricity appears to be off down in the bar, even the ATM is dark!

Which is sad! I loved the patio in the warm weather. It seemed so much more "patio" than the Wheat Sheaf's.

First the 606 (not really a beer joint) and now PBH. Bar Wellington is a good albeit limited selection of fine beverages in the ' K+B hood. Making matters worse is the fact that the Wheat Sheaf wait staff is getting lazy and surly.

What's a boy to do to get a decent pint and a bit of grub for a small amount of the coin of the realm?