Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Definitive WORLD CUP PUB thread

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Broton

The Definitive WORLD CUP PUB thread

Post by Broton »

Here's the question. Given the fact that the World Cup is approaching rapidly I must ask myself... where am I going to watch some of these games??

So I ask you.... where would you recommend watching a game? Are there any German taverns out there supporting their side?? Italian bar/cafe's that will have a "local flavour"? Where's the best place to watch an England match? Cameroon? Any ideas out there? Consider nationalities, food, atmosphere, tellys, and no course...what's on tap?!?!!!

What's a Good Pub for The World Cup?

Cheers,

Broton

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Don't ask me, I put the sports on TV only when I'm trying to fall asleep.

But here's a good joke:

Q: What is the one time a year every Portugese man becomes Brazilian?

A: Soccer season.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:Don't ask me, I put the sports on TV only when I'm trying to fall asleep.
Yeah soccer is definitely a good candidate for that... :P
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Nice thread, I usually think about the best sports bars for Leafs playoffs - but we might not have that this year!

I've always been a big fan of the Duke of Gloucester on Yonge St., and I know they do big biz for soccer. I'm sure the DOG will be a hot place for England games.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Cass wrote:Nice thread, I usually think about the best sports bars for Leafs playoffs - but we might not have that this year!
They'll eek in. I figured at the start of the season they'll be 7th or 8th.

The best bar for Leafs playoffs used to be Summit at Y&E when games were on Sunday through Wednesday. Pasta Bar! A few good taps and my martini. Mary too! Yum. :D

Now the best spot is either my place or my friends place. HDTV plus a fridge full of beer! 8)
lister

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

- Put Beckham out on the right where he used to be deadly, not in the centre where he’s not.
- Don’t let David James anywhere near the pitch.
- Take some of Rooney’s swagger and inject the rest of the team with it.
- Get Rooney to work on his anger management.
- Time for Rio to prove he’s not overrated.

And most importantly, practice penalties! I’m tired of the Gareth Southgate/David Batty/etc routine.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Well, Ireland didn't make it, so that rules out McVeigh's (and some of my best memories of the last World Cup). I imagine Scallywags and the aforementioned Duke will have a good England crowd. I'm just happy that the games will be on at a more reasonable time this year, given the time difference between here and Germany as opposed to Korea/Japan.

Welcome to the site Broton. What are your thoughts on the subject?

My goal is to gather up a beer from every country, but that may prove pretty darn difficult...even with the lagers of the world emporium known as the LCBO.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

tupalev wrote:My goal is to gather up a beer from every country, but that may prove pretty darn difficult...even with the lagers of the world emporium known as the LCBO.
I'm guessing you are going to have a little bit of trouble with Saudi Arabia and Iran. Another good idea though!

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

C'est What draws a pretty good crowd for major soccer matches, so that's one good place. And two of beerbistro's four bartenders are serious fans, so you can bet the games will all be on that big screen. Of course, neither will furnish the big, partisan crowds that the ethnic enclaves will.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

inertiaboy wrote:
tupalev wrote:My goal is to gather up a beer from every country, but that may prove pretty darn difficult...even with the lagers of the world emporium known as the LCBO.
I'm guessing you are going to have a little bit of trouble with Saudi Arabia and Iran. Another good idea though!
Josh Oakes actually found a couple of non-alcoholic Iranian beers at a halal grocery in Vancouver:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/delster-na/55124/
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/golden-delster/12704/

I wouldn't be surprised if they were available at some little hole in the wall grocery somewhere in Toronto or the GTA. Just a question of finding out where...

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Great THREAD idea...

ENGLAND - I think Duke of Gloucester, Scallywags are excellent choices. both will have lots of England support, and beer wise, you'll get the standard UK pub stuff(Guinness, Kilkenny, Boddingtons, Tetley's, etc).

PHILTHY McNASTY'S as recently opened on King St (Theatre district), it replaced PEEL PUB, it's a big time sports bar, dozens of massive projection screens, so for matches that are on mid afternoon weekdays it'll be a pretty good spot regardless of who's playing. Beer selection is probably pretty crappy, but I think they at least have Guinness. Cheap food.

BEER BISTRO and C'EST WHAT will get you the best beer, but I suspect will both be light on atmosphere, so they'll be good choices if you're in the area and just want to SEE the match.

FYI - I understand that ALL of the matches are being broadcast in HDTV, so if you do have a buddy with a nice new widescreen/Flatscreen & HDTV service, that's not a bad choice...

Other info: Here's a FOX SPORTS WORLD PUB GUIDE for CANADA:
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/800410

As far as the best places to see all 32 teams play - the best bar for the Ivory Coast, Tunisia or Angola, I haven't the foggiest... The last time I checked unfortunately Toronto didn't have a 'little Africa' district...
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

Publican

Post by Publican »

I'll be watching the England World Cup matches at Scallywags but only because of the large screen and the fact that I expect there to be a large gathering of English supporters. In the group stage, the only game I'll be able to see there will be the game against Paraguay on Sat. June 10 as the matches vs Trinidad and Tobago and Sweden are during the week when I'll be at work. I will be taking the first week of July off so I can go to Scallywags to hopefully see England in the final.

The Englnd vs Paraguay match starts at 9 am and therfore I can't have a pint during the game. If the game started at 11 am I still wouldn't drink a pint here as the selection at Scallywags is pretty inspid with mainstream Canadian beers and sad English import beers like Boddingtons. I will be heading to Volo after the game to have a pint or three of cask ale from some of Ontario's craft brewers.

J. Walter mentioned if a friend had a wide screen/flat screen HD TV, that that would be a good option. I totally agree and if you can get a few friends together you could order a frikin of real ale from
one of Ontario's craft brewers. Since some of the games are being played in the morning, I'd suggest you drink cask ale and have a full English breakfast!

the DL

Post by the DL »

There is also Elsewhere's and Main Event both are soccor bars and both are up in the Yonge and Eglinton.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Actually, matches have been known to draw significant and enthusiastic crowds at beerbistro, particularly of English partisans. I can think of a few afternoon fixtures where it was SRO at the bar. And BTW, the tv there is HD.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Don't forget about the Bow & Arrow - they have always been big soccer supporters and they have a nice big screen TV in there now.