Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Strand is no longer affiliated with Amsterdam

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DAN-D-MAN

The Strand is no longer affiliated with Amsterdam

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

I called yesterday to confirm my Winterlicious reservation at the Strand and the person I was speaking with informed me that they are currently waiting for their liquor licence as they had to change from a brewpub designation to a regular restaurant liquor licence.

He mentioned that the arrangement with Amsterdam wasn't working out. The vats never got used by Amsterdam. He expects to receive his licence later this week. Until then, he is unable to serve any alcohol.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

It's a shame that the tanks that are there will continue to go unused when they get their new license. Hopefully they sell them to someone who will make use of them.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I walked by the Strand on the weekend and it was closed up. No menus in the front and the inside looked stripped bare.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I miss Denison's. :(

But thank Dog we can still drink the Weisse. :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yeah, Denison's Weisse rocks.
In Beerum Veritas

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Cass wrote:I walked by the Strand on the weekend and it was closed up. No menus in the front and the inside looked stripped bare.
It's a shame the place never came close to its potential. It was always indifferent or hostile to the neighbourhood -- shutters drawn, patio closed, little opportunity to simply pop in for a drink. It aimed to be a fine dining establishment (a la Jump) in an area that was neither hip, nor moneyed, nor close enough to a solid source of expense accounts.

And they had all that brewing equipment there yet served little if any beer!

It's only a matter of time before the whole block is turned into condos.

Here's to Michael who for a while managed to make a little bit of beer paradise on Earth. And so long as Denison's was open, and I was living across the street, it was Pig Heaven.

(Sigh...)

-Uncle Bobby
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Uncle Bobby wrote:
Cass wrote:I walked by the Strand on the weekend and it was closed up.
It's a shame the place never came close to its potential. It was always indifferent or hostile to the neighbourhood -- shutters drawn, patio closed, little opportunity to simply pop in for a drink.
Toronto dining seems kinda dead that way.

Everybody packs it in before 9PM and there are few exciting choices. Even the hip/good places seem to close up at times I'd swear they would be open.

Very business-like, Toronto.
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I agree the Strand was terribly uninviting. You could never tell if it was open or closed as it was always dark and had the blinds drawn. I went once and it was forgettable.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I think this is the most recent thread that mentions the Strand. Anyway, a couple of days ago I walked by it and there was a new liquor license application notice in the window (dated September) saying the new place will be called "Da Factory". A search online only finds the same sign found by the guys at Martiniboys.

Doesn't sound like a brewpub!

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Does anybody want to contribute to the Biergotter brewpub equipment fund?!