Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Fat Belgian

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

The Fat Belgian

Post by Cass »

On Friday night I noticed a sign on one of the buildings just south of Smokeless Joe's in the same block. It said "The Fat Belgian ... Coming Soon". Anyone know anything about this? Curious if this is a Belgian restaurant or just a name.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I noticed the same the other week. I spoke to a friend who works for KitKat and...the "rumor" is you'll find the very predictable Stella, Hoegaarden, Leffe (Inbev) draft lineup plus some Belgian bottled beer but only those already available from the LCBO. They aren't going to be carrying rare or special imports...it's aiming at a pretty mainstream market (particularly in that locale). The food's supposed to be authentic Belgian...but really I expect the dumbed down North American equivalent you find in most "Belgian" places.

palsie

Post by palsie »

That's quite a premature 'slam', isn't it Jon? I hope you don't judge your food and drink like you do your restaurants :-? Lemme guess, you're a 'glass-is-half-empty' kind of guy, right (lol)???

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Welcome to the site palsie.

Didn't seem like a slam to me; Jon's comments were based on what he clearly called a "rumour" - that was internet forums are for!

And this board in general is terribly interested in mainstream market type places, I think it is fair to say. Having said that, we'll how this place turns out.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

palsie wrote:That's quite a premature 'slam', isn't it Jon? I hope you don't judge your food and drink like you do your restaurants :-? Lemme guess, you're a 'glass-is-half-empty' kind of guy, right (lol)???
Welcome to the site palsie. Do you work for the restaurant in question? If you don't then who are you to say whether my comments, clearly stated as based on second hand information, are a slam or factual. If you do work for the restaurant in question and I'm way off base then CORRECT ME. What are the plans for this new establishment.

For a newbie you certainly enter this forum with attitude. Let's see if you can back it up with substance. (LOL...I hate text talk)

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

Palsie, comments on this forum list heavily on the negative side of the beer ship. Optimism is seldom expressed except for a select few brewers and bars who have proved themselves over and over to the bartowel crowd. Premature slams such as Walker's and premature support of negative comments such as Tulapev's make up an annoying but often reoccuring pattern when something new comes arround. Even when it's good. So don't take it to heart.

It would be nice to see more of Cass's enthusiasm perpetuated on this forum. I for one, am quite hopefull that Fat Belgian turns out a few good beers and if nothing else, another good place to stop in and have a Hoegaarden or a Leffe, which are still excellent products despite falling under the generally abhored Inbev umbrella.

Oh.. and try and ignore Jon's tauntings. We're not all like this on the forum. I share your opinion based on the posting. Jon, you're out line here. Let us not scare away potential members because we want to write louder than the neighbouring poster. Welcome to the forum Palsie and thanks for your positive contributions in the future.

Tulapev - Nice one dhurtubise ..... I know, I know you could have written this one for me too.. :-?

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Holy out of nowhere attack Batman!

dhurtubise, I don't like it; all we do is fight any more. I think I am going to take a break. I can't guarantee I won't see other people.

In the words of Gandalf, "Run, you fools!"

Jeff

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

dhurtubise wrote:We're not all like this on the forum.
The problem with you offering this sort of comment dhurtubise is that you are one of the most pedantic and arrogant posters here. I have no problem with strong opinions but don't try to wrap yourself in a cloak of amicability when you routinely try to bully the less experienced with your pompous bafflegab.

If you want to talk the talk you gotta walk the walk.

If someone new wants to post here, more power to them. If they want to point fingers in their first post...expect a reply. God forbid Palsie had made a naive comment about Flemish sours in his first post...you would have humiliated him with your "expertise".

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Now, now. Lets all take a shower together real soon 8)
"Every day above ground is a good one."

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

palsie wrote:That's quite a premature 'slam', isn't it Jon? I hope you don't judge your food and drink like you do your restaurants :-? Lemme guess, you're a 'glass-is-half-empty' kind of guy, right (lol)???
If you call his comments a "slam" them I'm guessing you aren't very familiar with the "internet"? Mentioning a rumour is not a slam. Now if he'd said that The Fat Belgian's food has rat droppings in it and the beer is contaminated and that customers get verbally berated -- that would be a "slam". I think you need to relax buddy.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

dhurtubise wrote:Premature slams such as Walker's and premature support of negative comments such as Tulapev's make up an annoying but often reoccuring pattern when something new comes arround. Even when it's good. So don't take it to heart.
Again, Jon's post was nowhere near a 'slam' and you also need to chill. And I'll take Jon's and tupalev's posts over your any days so get off your high horse.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

YOU chill! And stop callin me 'fat' you guys!

I should be loved for the person I am, not hated for a body image stereotype.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:YOU chill! And stop callin me 'fat' you guys!

If you just cut down on your beer consumption... :P
lister

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Belgian wrote:YOU chill! And stop callin me 'fat' you guys!

Comments on this forum list heavily on the humourus side of the beer ship. Optimism is seldom expressed except for a select few brewers and bars who have proved themselves over and over to the bartowel crowd. Premature humour such as Belgian's and premature support of humourus comments such as Lister's make up an annoying but often reoccuring pattern when something new comes arround. Even when it's good. So don't take it to heart.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Annoyingly prematurely humorous? :-?

I know you are, but what am I?
In Beerum Veritas