Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

HAL Burger

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

HAL Burger

Post by lister »

It opened in the past couple of weeks at Adelaide & Duncan. I read some reviews on chowhound and thought we'd give it a try after lugging CK Cranberry Maple from tupalev's. Food-wise, the effort is there. The place is going for an upscale burger with different toppings, spices, etc. The execution though is inconsistent. I've read both glowing reviews and so-so reviews of the burger cooking. Our experience fell on the so-so side. The burger was a little dry. I suspect that's just new kitchen inconsistency that will get ironed out. The best restaurant burger I've had still is beerbistro's. A nice summer entree would be a smaller burger with a smaller pulled pork sandwich. <homer drool> Hint, hint.

On the beer side the good news is that MolBattMan is nowhere in sight on the taps. It's all Ontario micros. A little uninspired for most of you folk but it's a good start. It's too bad Denison's and Mill St. weren't there though.

Cameron's Auburn & Cream Ale
Great Lake's Golden Horseshoe, Red Leaf and Black Jack Lager
Steamwhistle
Waupus Cider
Last edited by lister on Thu May 11, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lister

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

Sounds interesting, and its just down the street from my office, i'll have to at least walk to the Subway that way some night to check it out, if not try the food.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote: I suspect that's just new kitchen inconsistency that will get ironed out.
I have noticed some Restos seem to have a 'chefs night off' when they appear have a far less skilled person in the kitchen - food will look the same, hmm, but where'd the flavor go?

I'd rather they closed 2-3 days a week and did a consistent job.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:I have noticed some Restos seem to have a 'chefs night off' when they appear have a far less skilled person in the kitchen - food will look the same, hmm, but where'd the flavor go?

I'd rather they closed 2-3 days a week and did a consistent job.
Guess you wouldn't mind paying higher prices then for a shorter operating week. Having now heard first hand how kitchens work (girlfriend is getting in the biz), I'm not surprised at the inconsistency. Some places don't do enough training of the second and line cooks ahead of opening.

Though to be honest, it is a little puzzling though for what's essentially a burger joint to have such a drop off. I know I can cook burgers that are juicier than that. I ain't no chef but I wield a mean set of BBQ tongs. :p
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote: Guess you wouldn't mind paying higher prices then for a shorter operating week.
I guess I'd rather feel overcharged than underfed, granted.

There are people who simply have no 'touch' with food, and these are not the ones who rise to the top... they just hover constantly in the middle, creating the Average Toronto Experience ("I merely ATE", in other words) with great and horrific consistency.

People rise to their level of incompetence, always.
In Beerum Veritas

No More Euro-Lagers

Post by No More Euro-Lagers »

Great spot and great food.
The staff are excellent and the vision of the place matches well with its wine and beer offerings.

I salute any restaurant that forgoes the usual big business light beer and sub standard lagers, in favour of beers reflecting the quality of its food.

The Camerons Auburn goes really well with a HAL Burger with Stilton (Fast becoming my favorite).

I would hate to think that anyone out there would no see an all local micro offerings as nothing less than industry leading and trail blazing. I would love to go to places around the city and not have to hear that their best offerings is a crappy version of an IPA (you know what I am talking about).

We're lucky that there are restaurants with managers and owners who will push all Canadian wines and local breweries as part of an overall experience based on quality.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

No More Euro-Lagers wrote:I would love to go to places around the city and not have to hear that their best offerings is a crappy version of an IPA (you know what I am talking about).
Could it be Keith's Idiot Pale Ale?
In Beerum Veritas

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Belgian wrote: ...Idiot Pale Ale?
Now that is a great name.

Vet_Fuel

Post by Vet_Fuel »

I have to chime in on this as my wife read about the place on chowhound as well, so we went to check it out on a Thursday night.

We were thoroughly disappointed!

The restaurant had about 8 guests when we arrived, and we had our choice of seats. The waiter was bad, and the food was worse. I had a plain old burger (I think the HAL Burger) with cheddar, and I've got to tell you, as someone who enjoys hamburgers more than most, this was one bland patty. And $11 to boot. Bymark it ain't, but for that much money I'd at least like to taste it. My wife had some freakish veggie concoction that was more like a falafel than a burger; and it came served on pita so toasted you needed a chisel to eat it, needless to say, it was not a pleasant eating experience.

The lowlight of the meal had to be our appetizer. We ordered Pakora "Frites" and when they arrived with our meal they were stone cold. When we brought this fact to our server's attention he promptly took them away and promised to return shortly. He did, and our app was now hot, as well as soggy from a second dip in the deep fryer. Not only did the "cook" re-fry our frites, he also deep fried the parsley, because apparently it is far too much effort to remove a garnish from the dish before a second plunge into the oil, and preparing a second serving is clearly out of the question, especially when what is basically an order of onion rings is bargain-priced at $4.50.

Needless to say we won't be back, but I suspect that even if we wanted to, there may not be a HAL Burger around long enough to do so. It's too bad, because the space is decent looking., and lord knows that section of the entertainment district is desolate enough, especially now that Vinnies is gone...

Hero Burger, Dangerous Dan's and other legitimate burger joints have nothing to fear from this place. Come to think of it neither does Lick's, or even Harvey's. (I actually don't mind Lick's burgers. After all it is a hamburger, not a steak) Oh how I long for the days of Cheeks!

One more thing, calling their beer selection uninspired was the most charitable thing I've read on these forums.

/end rant

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Ok, now I gotta try this place!

Dangerous Dan's is the SHIZNIT when it comes to nasty-ass burgers (I mean that in a good way). Dangerous Dan's has been discussed before

Oh the coronary burger...

2 Eight oz Patties (That's a pound of meat)
2 Slices of Cheddar Cheese
4 Slices of Bacon
Fried Egg.

Don't forget the Milkshake and Fries w/ Gravy... What does that add up to, about 2500 calories and 100 grams of fat...? Damn that's impressive...

And they typically have 2 or 3 OCB's on tap...
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Been to HAL burger twice so far, as it is close to work.
Nice spot. Overpriced a bit though.
But if you're not feeling poor, and want a nice environment to enjoy a burger, its a spot to "try". Not a place for frequent visits....but nice nonetheless.
I tried the Bayou burger last time I think. The one with strips of Chorizo sausage on it. It was excellent. Loved it. Although I did just eat the sausage strips first.....it didn't jive right with the burger.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Walked by HAL Burger tonight and it is closed. There's a notice on the door saying they owe $60K+ in rent. Ouch.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Yikes. That's bad news, I really liked that joint...

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Doh! I was looking forward to tasty burgers n' beer in between filmfest movies this year....

I guess I'll have to settle for burrito boyz :)