Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amadeus Restaurant and Bavarian Beer Stube

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Amadeus Restaurant and Bavarian Beer Stube

Post by lister »

Wandering around downtown at lunch I came across this place on the south side of Richmind just east of York. It's not open yet but it appears it will be in a couple of weeks. There wasn't anything else informative beyond the sign that caught my attention.
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I have heard about this...supposedly a "Vienna Beer Hall" was how I remember it being described.

Trafikker

Post by Trafikker »

I'd be very interested to hear more about this one. Though the location of such a blue-collar establishment concerns me a bit. Obviously won't be much of a "beer hall" so close to the financial district.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Anybody else know about this place?
Not too far from work, I'm intrigued though...could be interesting. Yes, the area might not be conducive the the best "authentic" experience....but you never know!

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

I happened by Amadeus yesterday evening when they were in warm-up mode with a bunch of the owner's freinds and family getting wined and beered and dined. After introducing myself, I was invited to give the menus and the place a once-over, and can say that it looks quite promising. The beer list isn't going to rock anyone's world, but they are carrying a decent selection of German draughts, including the Paulaner and Hacker hefes, the seldon-seen Warsteiner dunkel and the Hacker helles and Warsteiner pils. Also on tap are various other imports like De Konninck and Steigle, plus Stella, Canadian, Coors Light....

The menu looks promising and the premises, though not quite completed at this point, looks atmospheric and comfortable. This ain't the Augustiner Keller, but neither is it a complete parody of it.

I was told they hope to be open next week.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

http://www.munich-info.de/biergaerten/a ... me_en.html

All my time in München I never did venture there! Well alright then, another reason to go back (as well as the 'Andechser An Dom.')

I truly love that sweet provincial city, Munich. You can really get to know it. It's not Berlin but it does have what the French call a certain "I don't know what." :wink:
In Beerum Veritas

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I dropped by Amadeus the other day to try some of the beer. The bar area is spacious and I like the stand-only tables in the centre. At the bar itself the beers are well-drawn and looked fresh. I had the dunkel Warsteiner which was very good: clean, malty, dry. I had a Hacker-Pschorr pils which was pretty good but I liked the Warsteiner better. I didn't try the food. Nice ambience and good service. No domestic craft beers on tap or in bottle that I saw, they are concentrating on a certain number of quality imports and not on the local craft beer scene. I'd like to go back to try the menu.

Gary

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

Here is a review of Amadeus from BlogTO.com including comments from the Owner.

BlogTO Review
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

Trafikker

Post by Trafikker »

Went for dinner and post-dinner drinks at the Amadeus. It was sparsely populated in the dining room when I got there but it seems I just beat a mini-rush as by the time I got my food it was about 3/4 full. The food was fantastic and very authentic for those of you who've spent time in Austria or Bavaria. Apparently the chef is fresh from Austria. The menu has all the same items on it that you'd find at any beer stube in the Germanic world.

The atmosphere was nice with the waitresses in their Dirndls and the bar staff with their faux-lederhosen but you could tell they were green and considering their menu was in German I had to translate my selection into English for them. Schweinbraten = rost pork. The decor was pretty authetic but would look even more so in a few years when the shiny new tables and wood walls have some wear and tear.

After the meal (which was two beers, two desserts, two coffees, and two main courses for about $65) we went into the beer stube for a pint. It was shiny and new like the dining room and would have felt a little more authentic with some wear and tear but of course this will come with time. The service was friendly and prompt, likely helped by the fact that there were two bartenders serving about 10 people total. The beer selections was limited to Warsteiner, Hacker-pschorr, Steigl, and a couple of others that I am forgetting (I think Paulaner was another one) but generally you wouldn't expect a massive selection at any beer stube in Bavaria (1 lager, 1 dunkels, and an ale if you're lucky).

This would be a great place to go if you had a big pack of people. Overall it's got a lot of potential and I look forward to trying it again once it's a couple of months older.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Amadeus got fairly decent reviews in both The Star & The Globe yesterday.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:Amadeus got fairly decent reviews in both The Star & The Globe yesterday.
Not to discourage the stellar efforts (and all beer coverage is good ;) ) but there were some real spelling errors of German words which could easily have been Googled/spellchecked.

My favorite though was creamy Paulaner half-wheat which I assume meant Hefe-Weizen (Confused perhaps by Rogue's silly 'Half-A-Weizen'? See, Rogue has got Star reviewers all mixed up now.)
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

When they get Ayinger or Spaten, or Andecher on tap gimme a call...otherwise all these premium German import drafts are on tap at the Castle in KW on a rotating offering. How's their Schnitzel BTW??
Aventinus rules!

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Went here the other night, and I was pretty disappointed. The beer selection is certainly nothing to write home about (yes, some relatively rare imports, but not necessarily good ones). The atmosphere was neat, but fairly muted. I liked the outfits the servers wore, but they weren't hugely knowledgeable about what certain food items were supposed to be, which brewery was which...and our waitress certainly didn't speak any German!

The portions were also shockingly small, considering a) the prices and b) the supposed Austrian-ness of it. Austria, from my recollection, had some of the heartiest and most generous dishes the world has to offer. For twenty bucks, they'll give you one lonely schnitzel, some vegetables...and that's it. Some thin slices of bread were brought around as an afterthought, but all of us were hungry in the end.

My buddy actually bought some Taquitos from the 7/11 next door, and claimed they were tastier and more satisfying than his meal! Might be worth stopping by for a beer and a sausage-based appetizer, but I'd avoid it as a sit-down restaurant. Shame, because the place is relatively huge.

baiser

Post by baiser »

I went 2 weeks ago and felt pretty much the same way. On top of being hungry after a $20 dinner, the waitress spilled part of my Paulaner Salvator from her tray on to my shirt, then decided that she'd pour my beer for me with extra care to make sure there was not even a hint of head on it...which annoyed me even more..

Anyway, needless to say, I wouldn't recommend dinner there. The beer prices are also way too steep at around $7/pint.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Small protions,

That is really stupid because, as someone mentioned about Bavarians, this area of the world is renowned for delicious, farmer-sized portions that rapidly make a person quite hefty.

Additional food would have cost them a trifle, compared to th loss of customer good-will.
In Beerum Veritas