Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

beerbistro

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

beerbistro

Post by esprit »

Had occasion to take my wife and her two daughters to beerbistro for her birthday on Thursday evening...I had forgotten how noisy the place can be because both the bar area and the dining room were jammed. It didn't help that the Leafs were pounding the shit out of Ottawa. Highlights were the blue cheese-mushroom pizza, the frites which the 4 of us devoured in about 1 minute, the bacon-wrapped monkfish a very nice shrimp salad for the non-meat eater in the group and Brian's gift of 4 stout-Jack Daniel's crusted truffles on a stick which were amazing. Notwithstanding that they are one of biggest customers, we always have a great experince when we go there and recommend to anyone that they give the food a try...wish there were 2 or 3 of these types of establishments in the city! Beer consumption included de Koninck, Val de Dieu, Mill Street Tankhouse and Granite Dry-Hopped Best Bitter..you might notice that I don't sell any of these and it's rare for me to not buy "one of my own" but it's a nice change. Thumbs up to Mill Street as it's now a rival to Creemore as my fave Ontario beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It strikes me that BeerBistro is a great place to eat, with one major fault - the name leads people to assume it is not as food-centric as the cuisine proves it to be. 'Beer bar' or not, the food blows away a lot of places that pretend to 'foodie' status.

Affordable real Gourmet food - this along with the perfect atmosphere is almost the best reason for going to BeerBistro.

Just had to chime in there - and yes, Mill Street deserves a lot of love for what they do for us. A real gem of craft ethic in beer, up against the tide of dishwater euro-lager flooding the LCBO coolers.
In Beerum Veritas

emjay

Post by emjay »

Just went there for my first time tonight. It was excellent. Everything I tried was divine. The pizza, while I was hoping for a slightly bigger portion, had possibly the best dough I've ever tasted by far. Only had a Denison's weissbier and DFH 60 minute, but next time I'll be a little more adventurous. For the food and class of this place, the prices are extremely reasonable and I know I will definitely be going back.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Will be visiting BB again in the next week.
I haven't received their newsletter for many months, and their website still lists the "fall" menu.

Does anyone know if I should I expect anything different or new than what is on their website? (for food....they always have plenty of beers for me to try....but anything "new" therre is godo too!)

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Brian took great care of us at the chef's table last time I sat there. (unfortunately that was a while ago) I look forward to being gainfully employed so I can eat there more often.

Anyone know if they still have the pulled pork at lunch? That was good enough that I might splurge and head down budget or no! :)

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

The wife and I are going there for my birthday on Thursday. It's been quite a while since I've had a meal there, so I'm looking forward to it.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ha, ya...my B'day was the last time I made it to BB too. Perfect spot it is for that. I've never been dissapointed with food or drink there...so I guess even if nothing has changed meal-wise it'll be great.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Anyone know if they still have the pulled pork at lunch?
Yes, had it one day at lunch at Christmas-time.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Really hoping whomever purchased it doesn't intend to make major changes
josh rubin ‏@starbeer
Wow. Beer bistro's been sold...
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

More will come out this week I'm sure.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Josh mentioned that they would be keeping everything, including all staff, so that sounds promising
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Maybe they'll add some sound baffles in the dining room.

That's really my only concern with the beerbistro. It gets loud.
saintjohnswort.ca

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

saints_gambit wrote:Maybe they'll add some sound baffles in the dining room.

That's really my only concern with the beerbistro. It gets loud.
* what? *
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I for one welcome our new restaurant overlords!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Wow, big news indeed....happy that no immediate changes will happen. Still my overall favourite place to grab some mussels and enjoy a few brews.