Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

West 50 Pour House

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I don't particularly like paying money up front for a band I know nothing about. If after a few songs the band turns out to be to my liking then sure I'll pony up $5.
lister

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Note also that their website's (http://www.hiprestaurants.com/west50/) has a calendar of music/bands with no mention of any cover charge.

-Josh

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Fair enough but Friday and Saturday nights are pretty big in the bar world...live entertainment is not a rarity on those evenings so it is not uncommon whatsoever to be hit with a cover charge on those evenings.

Having said that, you are well within your rights to refuse and/or complain. If management insists ypu pay, I guess you walk away.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

detritus wrote:Note also that their website's (http://www.hiprestaurants.com/west50/) has a calendar of music/bands with no mention of any cover charge.

-Josh
They also look like cover bands to me (or "classic rock" as the website says). Who charges cover for cover bands? Seems to me that the bar owner would absorb the price of bringing in no-name entertainment (Sherrie Gold & Entourage anyone?) instead of passing it on to the patrons.

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

In regards to the topic of beers on tap, I received a list of beers that are being changed at West 50. Once again, this list came from Erin, a friend that is also the bar manager. She has asked me for suggestions on beers a few times. Anyways, they are removing some slower moving beers and replacing them with some new options. Other than losing Wellington Arkell for the Honey, the changes seem like a nice upgrade. I'm also glad to see that Denison's and Black Oak are now on board. So here are the revisions:

IN

1.Denison's Weissbier
2.Scotch Irish Sargent Major ipa
3.Black Oak Nut Brown
4.Church Key seasonal beer
5.Niagara Eisbock
6.Niagara Gritstone
7.McAuslan Pale ale
8.J.R. Brickman Honey Red
9.Wellington Honey

OUT

1.Great Lakes Red Leaf
2.Muskoka Weissbier
3.Muskoka Cream ale
4.Neustadt Scottish ale
5.Walkerville Blonde
6.Walkerville Light
7.Heritage Black Current
8.Wellington Arkell

Ryan.

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

I was at West 50 on Thursday night and found out from Erin that Denison's weissbier will NOT be on tap unfortunately. I had posted last week that it would be a go based on the info at the time. She said she spoke to Micheal Hancock and thought it was a go....but he turned West 50 down in the end for the second time as he is very concerned that his beer will not served in good, fresh condition. I certainly cannot agrue with his passion but its unfortunate that things did not work out.

I did notice they now have Warsteiner Dunkel on tap.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I stopped by today around 1:00 p.m., but it was closed.

It looked good, a minimalist-style bar/restaurant with an impressive line of draught taps behind the bar.

I will return.

Gary

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Okay, just got back from a nice evening at this bar.

The beers were very good (more on them in a moment), the service friendly. I like the spacious bar and the lengthy wrap-around row of draft taps, everything looked (and tasted) very fresh.

The big surprise was Rickard's White Ale, an excellent Belgian-style wit that could easily pass for a micro/European craft beer. It had a forward coriander-driven nose and taste with good grainy/wheaty values (but clean and not a hint of damp paper or off-taste). Excellent effort and by far the best beer made today by a macro Canadian brewery.

By the way it didn't seem quite like Blue Moon, maybe it is but I'd have to taste them side by side to confirm.

I also tried Orange Peel Ale, which was very good, this was the first iteration I think, it too is grainy (in a different way) and the citric peel taste is subtle but still evident.

Finally, Taps Red Ale which I liked for the first time, it tasted like a blend of red wine and lager and went great with the (excellent) chicken wings.

I didn't pay a cover, maybe I got there too early, but I think tonight there was just a DJ (not a live band).

The cold room looked well-maintained and I noted records were kept of when the beers arrived and were tapped, I think this is to ensure the beers are fresh when served.

I want to try some other beers, e.g., Eisbock from Niagara Falls, Erdinger Dunkel (never had that), and about 20 others. :)

I liked too the 5 ounce pours, you can try different beers that way without having to buy a pint or half.

Excellent place, and good prices: definitely recommended.

Gary

bestbitterman

Post by bestbitterman »

I dropped by last night for the second time in the last month and I have to say that almost every beer I had tasted stale, same as the last time I visited! I sampled Old Speckled Hen, London Pride, Fullers ESB, Upper Canada Dark all had the same staleness about them...horrible!

I guess that is what you get when you have over 100 beers on tap. I am happy that a bar like this exists and would love to see it succeed but sorry I just don't see myself going there anytime soon unless they improve the freshness of the pints.

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

I only discovered West 50 in the last month or so. It's interesting to see the range and polarity of reactions here. I understand some of the criticisms; luckily I tend to go around lunch and avoid any cover charge for live music.

My experiences with the beers have been positive. When I first went to West 50, I wished I'd found the place months sooner when I was mostly going to Jack Astors and starting to get bored with Astors lack of variety. Maybe from the sounds of it I missed some growth pains, though. So far I've enjoyed -- to varying degrees -- over 15 slightly or distinctly different beers ... and looking forward to more.

I find I particularly enjoy the Belgium brews, perhaps Leffe Brun Abbey Ale the most. The Nicklebrook Maple Porter was a pleasant surprise; Nicklebrook succeeded where Trafalgar's Maple Bock I tried a bottle of months before failed.
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Anyone know whether the beer menu on their website is kept up to date? More importantly, is there in fact Maudite on tap there now??

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Anyone know whether the beer menu on their website is kept up to date? More importantly, is there in fact Maudite on tap there now??
No and Yes.

Saw Denison's and a couple Koningshoeven brews as well.

The maudite was in good shape, as was the denison's.

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

cannondale wrote:
No and Yes.

Saw Denison's and a couple Koningshoeven brews as well.

The maudite was in good shape, as was the denison's.
Yeah, last I checked, the online beer menu was from January. :)

West 50 tends rotate 1 or more new beers onto the menu every month, but Maudite's 1 of those that's been on tap for as long as I've been going there.
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone been here recently, or at least in the last 2 years?

A new co-worker of mine mentioned it to me, however from what I've found out about him, he dislikes Molbatt's, but enjoys Guinness and Kilkenny.

Coming to Toronto this weekend as it is mine and a friends birthday and just trying to plan it out. So far we have planned a trip to Black Oak, Great Lakes, and Duggan's for Bottle/Growler shopping, and Volo, C'est What, Mill St. Brewpub and possibly Victory and Only Cafe. May check out 50 West if it is recommended.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I've been there a few times in the last 2 years, and always enjoyed it. They have a pretty good range now, i.e., including local craft beers some of which I haven't seen in town. I like their wings too, they have one kind glazed in rum and spices. It's a good place for a beer fan.

Gary
Gary Gillman