Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

West 50 Pour House

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

Kish84 wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone been here recently, or at least in the last 2 years?

A new co-worker of mine mentioned it to me, however from what I've found out about him, he dislikes Molbatt's, but enjoys Guinness and Kilkenny.
Both those are on tap ... along with a lot of others. I'm still go there every week or 2. They have a OK mix of macro, import, and craft brew on tap currently.

Check out WEST 50's site at
http://www.hiprestaurants.com/west50.html
that includes links to their food menus and a recent list of their 100+ draft beers.
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Kish84 wrote: Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone been here recently, or at least in the last 2 years?

May check out West 50 if it is recommended.
They had a few good taps when I visited in May of this year. I went with the Church Key Black IPA and Paulaner helles lager (Original Munchner?). The food was just decent, maybe slightly better than chain stuff like Boston Pizza or Montana's.

Our waitress didn't know anything about beer. When I ordered the Paulaner, she said they didn't sell it. I then went to the bar to ask for it and sure enough the bartender poured me a pint.

The atmosphere after 8pm was very loud. We were in the 'dining' section but we basically had to yell at each other, even though all of us were seated close together. Two drunks fell on the floor while we were eating and the place seems to get 'clubbish' after 9pm. I remember thinking at the time, 'is this the only place to get a good beer in Mississauga?'

Overall the gargantuan tap list is very cool but if you're going to the top spots in Toronto you can probably skip West 50 without missing anything important.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Thanks! I think we'll pass this time around as it seems we have many better choices. But I will go here at some point.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Just a post-script, but it really can make a difference when you go. At night, as in many bars (including some reputed mid-town beer places), it can get loud. When I stop by, it tends to be late in the afternoon, for a beer or two, and I leave before it gets too busy. Sitting at the bar too shortens the process of what to order, what is new, etc. But different strokes..

Gary
Gary Gillman

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

For all West End Hopheads

Smashbomb is on regular rotation here, as is Sgt Major's.
Hoptical Illusion, too.

I like to go between 4:30 & 6:30, when appetizers are half price.
It's a nice crowd at that time, too.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

hopdevil wrote:Smashbomb is on regular rotation here, as is Sgt Major's.
Hoptical Illusion, too.
Out of curiosity, is there anything else out of the ordinary that makes it worth making the trip out there? Even macro brands that aren't commercially available? And how micro-friendly is it? I've yet to go.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

There are a fair number of quality Ontario craft brews, as well as a number of European brews.
They do have various seasonals.
Black Oak's Chocolate Cherry Stout is on right now and the bartender said they were expecting a few more.

Here is a link to their menu. It is not completely up-to-date, as Smashbomb doesn't appear on it.

http://www.hiprestaurants.com/menus/wes ... erMenu.pdf

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

biegaman wrote:
hopdevil wrote:Smashbomb is on regular rotation here, as is Sgt Major's.
Hoptical Illusion, too.
Out of curiosity, is there anything else out of the ordinary that makes it worth making the trip out there? Even macro brands that aren't commercially available? And how micro-friendly is it? I've yet to go.
Basically, WEST 50 is a bit of everything ... German, British, Begian, French, Ontario craft, macros (a good place to bring any friends who haven't gotten into *good* beers yet :) and ease them into trying something new with the taster 6 set), and more ...

Also, coming June 23, their 2nd annual Cask fest.
More info at http://www.hiprestaurants.com/promo-beerstock.html
Mississauga's celebration of beer, hosted by West 50 Pourhouse & Grille featuring close to 50 brands from Ontario Craft Brewers to beers from around the globe. This is our inaugural tribute to the golden beverage! A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Mississauga Humane Society. This is a 19+ event. Must have valid I.D. to enter.

TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE AT WEST 50!
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

brew-san

Post by brew-san »

I went to West 50 back in February and while making a trip over to ogle the kegs (the room that holds them towards the back has windows) the guy who maintains the lines and the kegs saw that I had gone to have a look and brought me into the room and we chatted for a bit. He told me that he'd love to do exclusively micros but despite all their selection their best sellers are still Canadian and Coors Lite :evil: and it's hard to convince his bosses to ditch their best sellers.

For those that haven't been thier beer list is littered with crappy marcos but among them are some really good beers that aren't readily available on tap many other places. There's enough good stuff that I got 2 set of samplers of beers that I've never gotten to try before.

If you do go, ask the waitress if there anything new on tap. When my waitress saw that I was having trouble picking a 5th or 6th for the sampler because some of what I wanted on the menus wasn't available she passed me a piece of paper of stuff that was available and\or coming soon but not on their printed menu.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Good to hear, I'm sure the burbs don't get a whole lot of cask.
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."