Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

West 50 Pour House

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Jon - I totally understand re: location, I have the same problem getting to many of my favorite spots, especially Volo and the Granite, coming from the suburbs is a bugger...

When I said support, I didn't just mean directly, I meant instead of bashing the place before they even OPEN, let's applaud them for attempting something like this and lets get the word out to as many possible customers in the area to help them out.

re: Duplicates - makes good sense...

Ryan - Thanks for posting some legit info, sometimes these forums get so overwhelmed with conjecture and opinion, it's nice to have some FACT in here! Pass along the BarTowel URL to your friends, and ask someone from the Bar to get on and post, let's hear from the horse's mouth exactly what they will have on tap, when they're opening and when they're inviting the BarTowel gang along for an exclusive soft opening / sample night! - I'm sure we're willing to be guinea pigs, help them work the kinks out.... We're good like that!

:^)
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

JWalter wrote:an exclusive soft opening
Yeah, I do like the exclusive soft openings! :lol:
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Steve-E

Post by Steve-E »

RyanWright wrote:She currently has been managing a place called Ten, a fairly apscale steakhouse/bar at Lakeshore/Hurontario.
I certainly hope the service at 50 West is better than Ten. I went there once and it was by far the worst service I have ever received at any establishment. I will NEVER go back there.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

According to a post in the Canada forum on Beer Advocate, the grand opening of West 50 is next Thursday, October 26th, and they will be set up with around 90 different beers on 115 taps.

They have also posted a prix fixe food menu and entertainment schedule on their website. No beer list yet, though.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Wow! That's not your typical pub grub.

This might actually be a dinner destination (with good beer), rather than just a beer destination. Given the location, this is probably a good idea.

As others have mentiond, I hope they have enough turnover...

downtown drinker

Post by downtown drinker »

I have this nervous tic that starts up any time I see "deconstructed" on a restaurant menu.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Responsible Drinker wrote: This might actually be a dinner destination (with good beer), rather than just a beer destination.
Let's not jump to any assumptions that it'll be a good beer destination until we see an actual beer list. With 115 (holy crap) taps one would hope but...
Last edited by Jon Walker on Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Jon Walker wrote:Let's not jump to any assumptions that it'll be a good beed destination until we see an actual beer list. With 115 (holy crap) taps one would hope but...
I think it's fairly safe to assume at this point that with 115 taps they're going to have a fair number of decent craft and imports... I know they've spoken with Ken at Black Oak... I don't expect this place plans to compete with a Volo or a Smokeless or C'est What? - I expect it will be more in line w/ a BeerMarkt.

Also, we have these comments which sound promising...
Steve-E wrote: was just speaking to Mark (one of the owners and general manager) ... Besides the usual Molbatt and european selections, he did mention that they would have quite a few craft/micros and mentioned Mill St., Church Key, Great Lakes, Niagra's Best, Neustadt and some more that I can't remember
RyanWright wrote: Hey fellow bartowelers...I am a friend of the ... manager of this new place... I e-mailed her a list of beers from Denisons, Black Oak, Mill Street, Church Key, County Durham, Scotch Irish, McAuslan, Wellington, Fullers, King, Camerons etc, she has contacted a good number if not most of these breweries and will have many of these on tap.
Good enough for me, but then again, I'm an optimist...

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

And I'm a realist.

I hope for their sake (and ours) the likely minority of quality beers on those 115 taps are consumed regularly enough to ensure they are fresh. For the average beer drinker 115 taps is a lot of choice. Hard to believe they can do sufficient volume sales to ensure ALL kegs are getting turned over in less than 45-60 days.

Having said that I'd happily go with a group of Bartowelers to check it out and assess the place then.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Has anyone checked it out yet? I've got plans to go next Monday night... One thing I've noticed when I've been telling people about the place is in saying the name "West 50 Pourhouse", it sounds like you're saying "Poor House"... Kind of Awkward, I wonder if that's an intentional pun of some sort (?) or if they had considered that...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

John, did you (or anyone) make it out to this place yet? I've noticed on their site they have a live music listing, but no beer list. I'm really curious!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I spoke to one of the managers today (Nov.7th) and the place isn't yet open. They're having some "issues" and hope to open on Friday or Saturday but that might get pushed into next week. They will have 115 taps with 102 individual beers on those taps.

UPDATE: Here's the official tap list;

Affligem Abbey Beer, Belgium
Alexander Keiths India Pale Ale, Nova Scotia
Amsterdam Blonde Lager, Toronto Ontario
Amsterdam Nut Brown Ale, Toronto Ontario
Arkell Best Bitter, Guelph Ontario
Bass Pale Ale, England
Beck’s Lager, Germany
Belhaven Original Best Cream Ale, Scotland
Belle Vue Kriek Cherry Lambic Ale, Belgium
Big Rock Traditional Ale, Alberta
Black Jack Lager, Toronto Ontario
Blackthorn Cider, England
Blanche de Chambly White Ale, Quebec
Blue Light Pilsner, London Ontario
Blue Pilsner, London Ontario
Boddingtons Pub Ale, England
Bud Light Lager, United States
Budweiser Lager, United States
Caffreys Irish Ale, Ireland
Caledonia 80/- Ale, Scotland
Cameron’s Auburn Ale, Oakville Ontario
Cameron’s Cream Ale, Oakville Ontario
Canadian Lager, Toronto Ontario
Carlsberg Lager, Denmark
Carlsberg Light Lager, Denmark
Clancy’s Amber Ale, New Brunswick
Cool Beer Lager, Brampton Ontario
Coors Light Lager, United States
Creemore Lager, Creemore Springs Ontario
De Koninck Amber Ale, Belgium
Delerium Tremens, Belgium
Double Diamond Burton Ale, England
Erdinger Dunkel, Germany
Erdinger Weissbeir, Germany
Export Ale, Toronto Ontario
Fosters Lager, Australia
Fruli Strawberry Wheat Lager, Belgium
Fullers ESB Pale Ale, England
Fullers London Pride Pale Ale, England
Golden Horseshoe Premium Lager, Toronto Ontario
Grasshopper Wheat Ale, Alberta
Guinness Irish Stout, Ireland
Hacker~Pschorr Edelhell Munich Lager, Germany
Hacker~Pschorr Weiss Bier, Germany
Harp Lager, Ireland
Headstrong Pale Ale, Toronto Ontario
Heineken Pale Lager, Holland
Hoegarrden Wheat Ale, Belgium
Holy Smoke Scotch Ale, Campbellford Ontario
Kilkenny Irish Ale, Ireland
King Dark Lager, Nobleton Ontario
King Pilsner, Nobleton Ontario
KLB Raspberry Wheat Ale, Ontario
Kokanee Lager, British Columbia
Kronenburg Lager, France
Labatt 50Ale, Toronto Ontario
Leffe Blonde Abbey Ale, Belgium
Leffe Brun Abbey Ale, Belgium
Maudite Strong Red Ale, Quebec
McAuslan Apricot Wheat, Quebec
Mill St. Coffee Porter, Toronto Ontario
Mill St. Organic Lager, Toronto Ontario
Mill St. Tankhouse Ale, Toronto Ontario
Moosehead Lager, Nova Scotia
Muskoka Lakes Hefe Weissbier, Ontario
Muskoka Lakes Red Cream Ale, Ontario
Neustadt 10W30 Brown Ale, Neustadt Ontario
Neustadt Scottish Ale, Neustadt Ontario
Newcastle Brown Ale, Scotland
Niagara’s Best Blonde Ale, St. Catherines Ontario
Nicklebrook Green Apple, Burlington Ontario
Old Credit Amber Ale, Port Credit Ontario
Old Speckled Hen Strong Ale, England
Red Baron Blonde Lager, Waterloo Ontario
Red Cap Ale, Waterloo Ontario
Red Leaf Lager, Toronto Ontario
Rickards Honey Brown Ale, Toronto Ontario
Rickards Red Ale, Toronto Ontario
Robert Simpson Confederation Ale, Barrie Ontario
Route 666 Devils Pale Ale, Toronto Ontario
Sleeman Cream Ale, Guelph Ontario
Sleeman Honey Brown Lager, Guelph Ontario
Sleeman Original Draught, Guelph Ontario
Smithwicks Ale, Ireland
St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, Quebec
Steam Whistle Pilsner, Toronto Ontario
Stella Artois Lager, Belgium
Sterling Lager, Toronto Ontario
Stiegl Lager, Austria
Taps Red Cream Ale, Niagara On The Lake Ontario
Tennents Lager, Scotland
Tetleys English Ale, England
Trailhead Lager, Guelph Ontario
Tuborg Amber Lager, Denmark
Upper Canada Dark Ale, Guelph Ontario
Walkerville Blonde Lager, Windsor Ontario
Walkerville Superior Light, Windsor Ontario
Warsteiner Pilsner, Germany
Waterloo Dark Ale, Waterloo Ontario
Wellington Special Pale Ale, Guelph Ontario

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

Well, although I have no affiliation with 50 West Pour House, once again I am friends with one of the managers. I have not really discussed the list with her in recent months. But after seeing the list for the first time just now I realize there is a good number of quality beers on tap! Although we all knew there would be plenty of macro stuff on tap with 115 taps, there is a very good number of quality brews that would be pretty well impossible to find in the Mississauga area. I think they also realize the importantance of serving these brews in good condition. They have clearly gone out of their way to contact a good number of local breweries to have a quality selection of local micro's and imports instead of simply having an exclusive relationship with Molbatt with the illusion of selection. This place should be great for those that live in the west end that want some quality brews normally only found in some of the better beer spots in T.O. As I am friends with one of the managers, I obviosly want to see this place suceed for that reason alone. However. as a fan of good beer that gets together with friends that live in Mississauga for pub nights on a regular basis, I am excited to have an option for quality beer in this part of the city. I would think this should be a place for most bartowelers that live in a reasonable distance to consider checking out in the near future.

Publican

Post by Publican »

I'll check it out sometime next week. It will be nice to be able to drink Ontario micros ( other than Old Credit) in Mississauga!

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Ooh baby! I love it... Jon - thanks for posting the list...

Hmm... I think on my first night there, I'll limit myself to 6 pints...

Arkell Best Bitter, Guelph Ontario
Belhaven Original Best Cream Ale, Scotland
Cameron’s Auburn Ale, Oakville Ontario
Fullers London Pride Pale Ale, England
Holy Smoke Scotch Ale, Campbellford Ontario
Mill St. Tankhouse Ale, Toronto Ontario

Wow... All I can say is that I'm going to try to enjoy it while it lasts, and long may it continue... I'm very, very pleased with the awesome selection, really interesting and rare imports there... Who knows if they'll be able to maintain that, but that's a worry for another day... :^)

The menus seem rather high-end, it'll be interesting to see what they charge for pints, probably $6+, and fair enough, if it's a nice space, which I expect it will be, and the service is good, then I'll be happy to spend a few extra bucks a pint for this incredible selection...