Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mill Street Brewpub is now open!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Brewpub Manager

Mill Street Brewpub is now open!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Brewpub Manager »

Hi everyone, My Name is Glenn and I am the brewpub manager at the New Mill St. brewpub. We opened on Thursday and have Organic, Stock, Tankhouse, Oktoberfest, Coffee Porter, Cobblestone Stout, 2004 Barley Wine, and Wit on tap, with
IPA, Esb, and Bock soon to follow. I am also installing a cask engine with
a great new new cask ale coming soon.

Any Q's , reviews, comments or general feedback is greatly appreciated.

slainte :D

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Hi Glenn, welcome to the site. News of your opening and the draft beer lineup has already been posted and widely discussed on this forum. Regardless it's always nice to have another establishment manager posting here. We've needed another bona fide brewpub in the GTA for a long time. I look forward to coming down for a visit once I return to town next week.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

huge place, great location to drive by on sunday. Look forward to trying the new 3 later this week.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hello Glenn, good to have you with us.

Any "Bartoweller" specials on offer, ha ha.

No, all the best with the new pub, I'll pass it on & see you soon .
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

My girlfriend and I went for dinner on Sunday. The place looks really nice.

The food was quite good. We started with the perogies. I'm not that big of a perogies fan but these were quite good and the large pieces of crumbled real bacon. There were a lot of items that took us a while to whittle down to each of our dinner selections. The girlfriend had the ribeye burger. It was quite tasty and juicy. She had the fries and gravy as the side. She's been on the holy quest of finding another place that has gravy as good as Rebel House's and that Mill St.'s comes oh so very close. She's a chef so she can be a pain to go out with and she's not usually happy when we have food at Volo, C'est What, Bow & Arrow, etc. while I'm quite happy at them. She's looking forward to return visits to try other menu items.

My eyes zeroed in in the PULLED PORK!!! Sweet... I finally decided on the sandwich over the pizza with a caesar salad instead of fries. Both of which executed well though I would have liked the sandwich to have a larger amount of meat on it.

For our beer, our first choice, the Oktoberfest ran out so I had the Organic Lager and she had the Wit. She enjoyed the wit very much and ties it in second with Blanche de Chambly while Brussels White takes her top spot. The second brews was the stout. The stout was quite nice, creamy, with a good nutty, chocolate taste. Dieu du Ciel's L'Aphrodisiaque holding top reign in our opinions.

I'm really looking forward to trying the ESB, the Kriek and the Helles Bock. I see on the food menu that there is Pilsner Lager but that's not in the beverage menu. Will there be a rotating seasonal tap? I presume that would be the current Oktoberfest (unless that is going to be available all year long.) I'd love to see a fun summer brew perhaps watermelon or blueberry <insert typical other bartowel member pissing and moaning here> and a spiced English ale or L'Aphrodisiaque clone during the winter. Just something different every season and year.

Are there plans to bottle the new brews at some point?

The servers were all quite friendly though I do prefer a single server rather than a roundrobin effort.

My only food criticisms are really my food preferences. I would have preferred a tangy vinagrette caesar dressing and the same for the coleslaw. Both creamy versions were good nonetheless.

I suggest marking the back doors as for emergency use only both on the inside and outside with directions to continue on towards the front. We and several other people came in from that back door rather than the front which made the back area chilly for a bit.

We're looking forward to returning when the other brews are available and for a future Leaf game! :D Thanks for bringing Toronto another quality brewpub!
lister

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I stopped by recently and enjoyed it. The place is very well fitted out. The wood, brick, paint, furnishings, all work together very well.

My favourite Mill St. beer, the helles bock, was not available. I tried the ESB and Octoberfest. They were good although I would not say superb. I had a taste of the stout too. It had good roasty notes.

This is an atmospheric, charming venue and I am sure everyone will find a beer or a number of them they like. I did not try the food, that is for next time.

Gary

clasher

Post by clasher »

I stopped by last monday, the leek and chicken pie was nice... came with a massive portion of peas. The IPA was enjoyable. Good place to bring people that might not be beerophiles.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Can't wait to head up to Toronto and grab a meal and more than a couple pints. :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Mill Street Pub gave me a slight hassle today over a little five-dollar Voucher given to me by the other Manager, Lori. (Namely, a 8.99 entrée doesn't "qualify" although it said nothing to that effect on the card and I had already ordered some extra brew to round out the cheque, just to return the good will of course!)

We straightened that out, but for making the best impression on people we might bring there, you could be clearer on such offers up front rather than make a fuss when the cheque arrives. Just seemed a little tacky, no offense.

Hope this helps!
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Belgian wrote: We straightened that out, but for making the best impression on people we might bring there, you could be clearer on such offers up front rather than make a fuss when the cheque arrives. Just seemed a little tacky, no offense.
generally is a good idea to mention coupons when ordering...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JerCraigs wrote:
Belgian wrote: We straightened that out, but for making the best impression on people we might bring there, you could be clearer on such offers up front rather than make a fuss when the cheque arrives. Just seemed a little tacky, no offense.
generally is a good idea to mention coupons when ordering...
But I did. They took it before we ordered food.
In Beerum Veritas

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

I was at the brewpub for dinner last Saturday night and I had no issues using a '$10 off dinner' coupon that I found at the Queens Quay LCBO. I hope/expect your problem will be an isolated incident.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

has anyone noticed if they are operating a retail store as well at the Distillery District site? if so, are they only selling the standard bottles (coffee porter, tankhouse) or are others available (stout, IPA), either in bottles or growlers?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Growlers - I forgot to ask.

Store - standard bottled line available, plus the 2005 Barley Wine. Probably the freshest bottled MS you can buy for the Coffee Porter, Tankhouse etc. Great tee shirts.

[Not sure if the Belgian Wit is bottled yet - a plan of theirs.]

The Stout and IPA (et al) are surely new and still in the tweaking stage - will be worth checking in on repeatedly at the Pub.
In Beerum Veritas

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

The growlers are supposed to be in the new year... I'm hoping in time for the Super Bowl!
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."