Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mill Street Brewpub is now open!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Stomp Brockmore

Post by Stomp Brockmore »

I was at the brewpub last night and used one of the $10-off vouchers from the six packs...no problem, even though the waitress seemed like she'd never seen one before.

Had the ESB, IPA, and Stout. The stout I found lacking in body, with good initial flavour, but a very short finish with little to follow up the first bit of goodness. Nicely roasty and smokey though, while it lasts. The IPA was delicious I thought and I would agree they are still refining these beers and my experience of the IPA was nothing like other comments I've read (tankhouse-lite, very malty)...I found it with lots of round citrusy flavours on top, followed by a really long bitter finish. I thought it was great and I hope they'll bottle that one. Looking forward to trying all the others.

flip

Post by flip »

I took my parents and wife to the Brewpub last Friday for lunch. My Dad commented on how busy it was for a lunch time... the evenings must be quite busy.

While there I had the IPA, Oktoberfest and ESB. I wasn't blown away by the IPA. I guess I'd built up an assumption that the profile would be more along the lines of a West Coast IPA or some of the cask conditioned Tankhouse ales that had been put out. I loved the Oktoberfest. It's was the best Oktoberfest that I've had this season from anywhere. The ESB was also really enjoyable. There's a definite presence of english malts and a nice bitterness.

I also scammed some sips of the Stout and their Raspberry beer. I thought the stout was pretty good and agree with others on the nice roasted flavours. The Raspberry beer surprised me. It was very creamy and rich tasting. A nice balance between some of the tarter Raspberry beers I've had (i.e. Amsterdam) but not as sweet as some other fruit beers can be.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I really want to try a full pint of the Oktoberfest & the Helles Bock when it comes. These Bavarians are well-styled.

Until then, the Stout and the ESB would make a good pair.

I will try the Raspberry Beer along with the Belgian Wit, because it sounds like the mouth feel is similar.
In Beerum Veritas

Stomp Brockmore

I was at the brewpub last night, 2nd time. Had a pint of the Wit which was great. If they bottle this one, I'll drink it all summer long.

Oddly, I also ordered a pint of the IPA, because I liked it so much last time I was at the brewery. This time however, it literally tasted exactly like the Tankhouse. It looked and smelled like Tankhouse as well. I asked the waitress about it and she assured me that, no, it was the IPA. So...what's going on? Did they accidentally tap a keg of Tankhouse instead of the IPA, or is the IPA becoming identical?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

The IPA is made exclusively with British hops, the Tankhouse has west coast American hops. The IBU's are different and I believe they use different malt (though I'm not sure what). This was what I was told when I last visited.

I personally didn't find there to be enough taste difference between the two although there was a difference to my palate. It's possible they have altered the recipe for the IPA since I was last in or they might have mixed up a keg on the taps...I'll do a comparison when I next go down.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

IPA,

To me a 'real' IPA makes a definite, individual impression. I sort of remember something about it mentally. Mill Street IPA doesn't have that assertiveness yet.
In Beerum Veritas

Stomp Brockmore

The two times I've ordered it at the brewpub, it's been two very different beers. The first time it was an IPA with a distinct, individual character. The 2nd time, it was Tankhouse (figuratively speaking, anyway).

Why would Mill St. want to make two (near) identical beers, even if they do use different hops? Puzzling. I'll want to keep an eye on this one...