Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

outsideof Toronto pubs- East and North

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

runes

outsideof Toronto pubs- East and North

Post by runes »

Hey guys, been browsing for a while and finally decided to register with my two cents.

I live in Peterborough, but am from Whitby...

I am jealous of most of the talk of great beer pubs and wide(r) selection at lcbos. Whenever I'm back in whitby i usually try to take the GO and check out some of the pubs etc... but i'm a poor University student, which doesn't work so well financially with hopping around from beerpub to beerpub trying all their different new and wonderous taps.

So, anyone know of any good brew pubs/pubs with great selection in the Durham Region? Or at least the Kawartha area?

Peterborough has a pretty good bar scene, the Old Stone/Hot Belly Mama's brews their own wheat ale (with a local strain of wheat), stout, bitter and dark ale. They've had seasonals- pumpkin, porter and the IPA which i haven't tried yet. Not all fantastic, but i really liked the porter when they had it, and i go there just for their Wilde Olde Ale (dark ale), which is great. Good food too.

We've also got St. Veronus' a typical belgian beer/food place. Good food (i hadn't had rabbit or escargot before eating here!) and a pretty decent selection of beer- some of which is rare/not in stock. Some of the usual belgians and a few i hadn't heard of before.

I am quite sold on St. Bernardus (dubel, i think). Perhaps one of the best i've ever had.

Plus DT on tap, which i enjoyed, pink elephants and all. Etc.

There was a place that carried a few Churchkey beers, but isn't around any longer (i enjoyed the Old Smoke Stout). I've spied cameron's at a few places, and one has Caledonian 80, not that out of the ordinary, but that it was interesting next to the usual canadian/american macrocrap.

Anyway, any other hidden gems around this area, or back home in whitby-region? I know Pickering has County Durham Brewery, which i've meant to check out- but i'm not aware of any brewpubs or interesting beer joints this side of TO.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Not really in your direct area but pseudo fits the location directive:
The Prince Albert Pub in Mount Albert (NE of NewMarket)
Always swinging micro's around and has a solid offering plus good food.

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

I live in Whitby and am jealous that you are so close to St. Veronus' and am sure thats the best your going to find outside of Toronto.

County Durham is just in an industrial plaza and as far as I know is not open to the public.

The Tap and Tankard in Whitby used to have Cal 80/ and a few other imports but the last time I was there they had all new Taps courtesy of Labatts complete with only Labatt product.

runes

Post by runes »

damn! double dissapointing! I was hoping i could swing by County Durham for a tour/pick up some of the stuff i can't find in nearby lcbos (i can only get teh traditional ale)

and sad news about the Tap. I hadn't yet visited there but had heard good things.

I heard the Gryfon (i can't remember where it is exactly, but it's near downtown, i think it's by the Hakim optical!) had a few lesser known beers/microbrews, but the last time i was there this was incorrect.

Anyone visited the Churchkey brewery? Holy Smoke used to be served at the Grasroots in Peterborough, which is now closed... I'd like to pick up a case, or try some of their other offerings...

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Good to have you aboard Runes, there are some very knowledgable people that post here (I'm NOT one of them) and I always find everyones' input informative. It's helped me considerably with my beer education over the past year or so and I hope you find it the same.

runes

Post by runes »

i've definitely found the info here helpful.

anyway, the Old Stone now has a Special Bitter, i believe it's called. They have their regular Best Bitter, not bad- i usually get it with food. But i enjoyed this one a bit more.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

Church-Key is a great spot to visit. No cases, though - just sixes. I have some directions at the top of my post about my visit there.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Al of Kingston wrote:Church-Key is a great spot to visit. No cases, though - just sixes.
They will give you a better price on 4x6 though - I believe it was about $12 for a 6-pack and $40 for 4 6-packs. You can mix-and-match as well to get the $40 price.

runes

Post by runes »

killer. i like the holy smoke, but havent tried anyhting else. I'd really like to try the porter. Now all I need to to is wrangle up my friend with the car, and convince him to take me! heh.

runes

Post by runes »

the old stone here in peterborough has a halfway decent seasonal now. It's some form of bitter (i never catch what they call it), but i find it more enjoyable than their regular bitter. I'd assume that it's more of an ESB. It tastes very similar to their Wild Old ale though, but lighter in body and less maltier. Pretty good, I'll definitely be enjoying this seasonal for as long as they have it.