Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

YorkU Grad Lounge

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

haelduksf

YorkU Grad Lounge

Post by haelduksf »

Jane and Finch is a beer wasteland. The beer store on the corner will reluctantly pull out a few dusty Unibroue bottles, if you manage to convince them that they stock it. The LCBO's best sellers are 40s of malt liquor. All my worst fears about moving here were totally justified.

There is, however, a diamond in the rough. The Grad Lounge, hidden away in a corner of the massive Ross building, is actually pretty decent. The food is nothing special, mostly random ethnic cafeteria food, but the taps suprised me. King Dark, De Konick, Stiegl, St. Ambroise Pale, and cask-conditionned hand-pumped Wellington Arkell's Best Bitter. They've also got bottles of Brickman behind the bar, and weird stuff like Trailhead. It ain't no bberbistro, but it's head and shoulders above anything else in the area- hell, above pretty much anything north of Eglington.

With that said, this information is pretty useless to most people on here :(. Monday to Wednesday they close at 7, Friday at 4. Thursday they're open till midnight (since it's campus pub night) but you need a York student to sign you in (and while I'd be happy to oblige, I'm only allowed a couple of guests). At least transit service is pretty good.

In any case, just thought I'd share- I know there are other university students on here, and most york students have never heard of the grad lounge.

P.S. York students might also be interested in knowing that the Absinthe now has McAuslan Apricot Wheat on tap.

Trafikker

Post by Trafikker »

Damn, I went to York for five years and had never heard of it! Wonder if my alumni card would get me in.

haelduksf

Post by haelduksf »

Oops- I passed by yesterday and they'd changed their hours.

Mon-Wed 10:00-10:00
Thursday 10:00-11:30
Friday 10:00-7:00

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

Yep, the Grad Lounge isn't bad - somewhere before I posted about it. The line-up is solid, but the appearance of stuff like Fruli and Erdinger is a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, at the moment I drive to school, but the 100-yard proximity to Osgoode is nice.
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."