Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Crooked Cue in Mississauga

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

toweringpine

Crooked Cue in Mississauga

Post by toweringpine »

Our company Christmas party is tonight at the Crooked Cue. I have never been there before but am pretty excited to check it out.

Although it is a long ways from home, I have decided to cab it after looking at the website. Quite a selection of brew for a pool hall. Most of the usual line up with a few notables including Belle-Vue Kriek Lambic, some Unibroue selections, Sam Adams and plenty more. They have a house Red Lager from a local brewer, anyone know who makes it or must I wait to find out tonight?

http://www.crookedcue.ca/beermississauga.pdf

If it is as good as it looks, I will post a review when I have a chance.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

toweringpine wrote:If it is as good as it looks, I will post a review when I have a chance.
Huh? It's just a bunch of InBev crap. They might have all the InBev crap, but that doesn't make it any good.

There's nothing there you can't get at the LCBO for a third of the price (or the drug-store, if you're into that cherry cough-syrup flavour).

-Josh

Added: And where are the local micros? This place is within a 20 minute drive of at least a few breweries...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

toweringpine wrote:They have a house Red Lager from a local brewer, anyone know who makes it or must I wait to find out tonight?
It's unlikely they'll tell you who makes it - most places with house beers like that are somewhat secretive about where they're made, usually because it's just one of the brewery's regular beers that's been rebranded.

In this case, though, the fact that they list it as being brewed in Port Credit is a pretty strong indicator that it's brewed by Old Credit, since I don't think there are any other breweries in that town. And Old Credit doesn't have a red lager in their regular line-up - only and Amber Ale and a Pilsner - so this may actually be an exclusive house beer.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

The party was a great success but the beer did not live up to my expectations. The house brew wasn't available, whether they were just out or are not doing it anymore I was not able to determine. Several of the selections from the website both on tap and in bottles were not available either. It's not like I was trying to stump them or anything, just asking for beer off the list. I enjoyed some Steamwhistle and Creemore and had a great time. The facilities were great for a company party. Lots of room to get up and mingle, pool tables for diversion and the food was pretty good although the veggies were long gone by the time we got to the front of the buffett line and there didn't seem to be a bun in the building. Anyways, I would recommend it as a good place to have a night out but not worth the long trip over there if beer is what you are after.