Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

MACKIE'S TAIGH OSDA

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Once you get past the unpronounceable Gaelic name, those of you in the east end of the city should try this spot (2112 Danforth Ave. 416-421-3375). One of the former partners of Castro's in the Beaches opened this place several months ago and they've got a few taps (Hacker Pschorr included) and a great selection of bottled beers including some Belgians not available at the LCBO.

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

I should have added that it's near Woodbine.

Publican

Post by Publican »

I was at Mackie's several weeks ago and I thought it was a great pub for conversation as it has a small table in the middle that lets you discuss the attributes of the beer your drinking with other beer lovers

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I went here for the first time last week and was impressed. It's great to see a good beer pub in an area without much support for anything except the big beers.

It is lively pub, with a small patio and a large inside area. They had a good selection of beers, some interesting taps but definitely lacking in the Canadian selection. However, there was an excellent selection of bottles.

If you're out in this part of town, this place is where to go.

DougShoemaker

Post by DougShoemaker »

I ventured into Mackie's for the first time yesterday and was pleased to try the Fullers London Pride and Fullers ESB on tap. Very friendly bar and the owner, Bill is quite knowledgable about beer. Do try to get there, it's worth it!

Cheers, Doug

Manul

Post by Manul »

Fuller ESB on tap??!!! Great! How's parking in that area?

DougShoemaker

Post by DougShoemaker »

I think parking is tough, but it's right around the corner from the Woodbine Subway Station.
Cheers, Doug

BILLMACKIE

Post by BILLMACKIE »

THERE IS PARKING FOR 200 IN THE BACK PARKING LOT

Zymurgy

Post by Zymurgy »

If the live music, food and beer selection are not enough to draw you to Mackie's, they have got some Celebrator Dopplebock from the last shipment the LCBO received circa August 1997 still on hand. I recently split a bottle with Bill and it is a tasty brew. An interesting opportunity to try a well cellared German Dopplebock.

Geoffrey.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Esprit2 on 2002-12-18 08:15 ]</font>

doublefist

Post by doublefist »

While cleaning the house on Sunday morning I came across Mackie’s latest newsletter. In it was his beer list. Much to my delight I saw “Young’s Double Chocolate Stout”. Never had one, have been wanting to try it for ages. So, yesterday afternoon off I go to Mackie’s for the first time. I get there and they are out of Young’s but my disappointment is soon soothed by the selection of other beers I am faced with. I decided on a La Fin du Monde and was not disappointed.

The bar itself was my kind of place. Although I only stayed for the one beer I definitely could see myself sitting there for a good couple hours on a Saturday night. The guy behind the bar (didn’t get his name) was very friendly (even to the poor guy who walked in and asked for a Rickard’s Red) and I will certainly be back there on as regular a basis as I can manage.
"They drank of huge wooden kegs of mead, which was in fact Pabst Blue Ribbon, but which they liked to call mead..."