Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Waterloo

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Trafikker

Waterloo

Post by Trafikker »

Short notice but anyone know of any decent pubs in Waterloo? Heading down tomorrow.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Hey, there are a couple. In Waterloo there is the Huether Hotel Pub, which is right on King St. beside the Gold Crown Brewery (it's hard to miss). The pub is accessible via the side of the building.

Waterloo isn't huge on what we would call "decent" pubs. But Kitchener has the Castle on King, which is also on King St., right near where it turns into highway 8. Rockway Gardens is accross the street, and again, it's not hard to miss (medium sized building that looks like a castle).

Sorry but I don't know the actual street address' of either one.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Oh I forgot to describe both of them :P.

The Huether is nice and historic. They offer a wide variety of beers brewed right next door (the best probably being the Wuerzburger Lager). The man who established the joint and whom the place is named after was greatly responsible for popularizing lagers in Canada during the late 1800's. Don't blame him for the modern macro pale lager phenomenon though, he made good German style lagers (I know because I was there, of course). Unfortunately the joint is run by a collection of unfriendly douchebags today.

The Castle is really where you want to stop buy. It's pretty much the only place (actually I'm pretty sure it is THE only place) in all of KW where you can get rare stuff, good micro's (Ontario stuff), and rare imports. Pootz described it to me as "an oasis for beer geeks" in KW.
Last edited by JesseM on Thu May 28, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trafikker

Post by Trafikker »

Thanks Jesse, I am at a course all day at Wilfred Laurier University and we have 90 minutes to kill at lunch. We'll check it out.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

So how was it? I was just at both places and enjoyed my time there quite a bit!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Would it be weird if I just went to Castle by myself?

Consider I barely even look my age (almost 20). I've managed to finally convince a couple guys on my floor to go with me, but I'm still not 100% certain about them. And ever since I was there on the weekend with my Dad and my brother, I've been just dying to get back and try more of the great stuff they have on tap.

I'm a pretty friendly guy who can at least make casual small talk with pretty much anyone, so it's not like I wouldn't be able to talk to the bar tenders; I'm pretty sure they'd be somewhat impressed with somebody my age having such an interest and appreciation of good beer.

I'm just so indecisive on the matter.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JesseM wrote:Would it be weird if I just went to Castle by myself?
Nope. Not at all.

gardhouse

Post by gardhouse »

I do it quite regularly, but I usually bring my laptop and knock out some physics (not effected by beer, thankfully).

Denison's goes well with quantum mechanics, I find. I would however recommend an IPA for thermodynamics.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

Not at all, I go in often by myself. Harold and Jay are "Champs" and will treat you right. The regulars are great too and really know their stuff. Middle of the afternoon in the middle of the week is best to catch Harold for beer talk. Otherwise he's to busy in the kitchen. Late Saturday nights are good too.

When I find some time we should hook up for a beer.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Yeah that'd be great, I actually haven't noticed before that you're from Kitchener :P.

I did go by myself on Wednesday evening. Chatted it up for a while actually with some of the employee's and Harold. Pretty sweet time, they even gave me a pint of the Fuller's Old Winter Ale for free!

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jesse - better get used to the solo experience if you are seeking out craft beers. It took me years to drag my friends out of psuedo-Irish pubs and get them C'est What, Volo etc., but until they did I made it a habit of going by myself and still do. I love reading, so a book and pints have been my mainstay for years now.

gardhouse

Post by gardhouse »

Malcolm wrote:Jesse - better get used to the solo experience if you are seeking out craft beers. It took me years to drag my friends out of psuedo-Irish pubs and get them C'est What, Volo etc., but until they did I made it a habit of going by myself and still do. I love reading, so a book and pints have been my mainstay for years now.
My usual technique is to lure then by promising a second stop, with cheap and plentiful food and booze. Or go solo with a good book/work.