Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo Winter Beer Sale

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lord God King Bu Fu

Volo Winter Beer Sale

Post by Lord God King Bu Fu »

Went to Volo on Sunday afternoon with a pal. On the way in, we noticed that the chalkboard was promoting a winter bottle sale with 10% - 30% off selected bottles. In addition to the regular drink menu, we were given a sale list with about 20 items on it.

Ralph stopped by while we were reading the list and told us that his beer cellar was filling up and his wife told him to have a sale. He said he did it grudgingly, but had ended up selling more bottles of some of the beers in a single day than he had in the last year.

It’s a great idea – everybody loves a sale. Although I primarily go to Volo for the taps, I’m going to pay better attention to the bottle list in the future. We shared a Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti, then a Rogue Brutal Bitter and I finished with an Anchor Old Foghorn and she had a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot '04. I’ll definitely be going back next Sunday.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Lord God King Bu Fu wrote:Went to Volo on Sunday afternoon with a pal. On the way in, we noticed that the chalkboard was promoting a winter bottle sale with 10% - 30% off selected bottles. In addition to the regular drink menu, we were given a sale list with about 20 items on it.

Ralph stopped by while we were reading the list and told us that his beer cellar was filling up and his wife told him to have a sale. He said he did it grudgingly, but had ended up selling more bottles of some of the beers in a single day than he had in the last year.

It’s a great idea – everybody loves a sale. Although I primarily go to Volo for the taps, I’m going to pay better attention to the bottle list in the future. We shared a Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti, then a Rogue Brutal Bitter and I finished with an Anchor Old Foghorn and she had a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot '04. I’ll definitely be going back next Sunday.
That's some nice beers you enjoyed! How was the oak aged yeti? I've been tempted to buy it in the past, but been put off by the price.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Definitely some deals to be had at Volo right now during the bottle sale. Check it out!

Lord God King Bu Fu

Post by Lord God King Bu Fu »

The Oak Aged Yeti was beautiful. It was the highlight of the visit. The nose was so prominent, you can economize by just sniffing it every now again instead of taking a sip. It was 10% off, so it came to about $17 for a 650ml bottle, I think.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Enjoy it while it lasts. The offshoot of this is that Ralph and Ina realised that tying vast amounts of time and capital up by bringing in cases of private import beers was not paying off. Don't expect that the bottle selection at Volo will be as ample as it had been.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

PRMason wrote:Enjoy it while it lasts. The offshoot of this is that Ralph and Ina realised that tying vast amounts of time and capital up by bringing in cases of private import beers was not paying off. Don't expect that the bottle selection at Volo will be as ample as it had been.
I heard that too. However, as long as Volo brings in great local brewers by people like yourself, it won't stop me going.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Bobsy wrote:
PRMason wrote:Enjoy it while it lasts. The offshoot of this is that Ralph and Ina realised that tying vast amounts of time and capital up by bringing in cases of private import beers was not paying off. Don't expect that the bottle selection at Volo will be as ample as it had been.
I heard that too. However, as long as Volo brings in great local brewers by people like yourself, it won't stop me going.
While that's not great news, as I've enjoyed a few great bottles there, my preference is always for great, fresh, innovative local beer first. This, I find, is where Volo really outshines the competition (particularly BeerBistro, who have a similar bottle selection, but a more static, less interesting tap selection).

-Josh

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

detritus wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
While that's not great news, as I've enjoyed a few great bottles there, my preference is always for great, fresh, innovative local beer first. This, I find, is where Volo really outshines the competition (particularly BeerBistro, who have a similar bottle selection, but a more static, less interesting tap selection).

-Josh
I can't agree more. Although a number of bars around town offer some great taps, I am not aware of any that change with the regularity of Volo. I checked out the bottle sale last night, and although there were some good deals, I chose to enjoy some wonderful homegrown beers. The Grains of Wrath and Chocolate Porter were on fine form!

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Bobsy wrote:I can't agree more. Although a number of bars around town offer some great taps, I am not aware of any that change with the regularity of Volo. I checked out the bottle sale last night, and although there were some good deals, I chose to enjoy some wonderful homegrown beers. The Grains of Wrath and Chocolate Porter were on fine form!
Yeah, I was in the other night for dinner and drinks and which there were a few appealing selections on the bottle sale list, most of them were things that I've got a bunch of in the cellar.

I stuck to the taps. Specifically, the Grand River Ploughman's Ale and Mild , both of which were in great shape, particularly the Mild, which was a cask and is one of those beers that you could drink all night, every night (and which, I've just noticed, is creeping up on the #1 spot amongst milds on RateBeer!).

-Josh

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I have kind of the same problem Ralph does. :roll:

I can see how an thoughtful beer guy like Ralph could get sliiiightly ahead of real consumption demand in gathering beer, because I've been doing that for years.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Stopped by Volo last night and enjoyed some of these sale items. As I do not visit Volo often, there were plenty of deals on beers I haven't had before.

I was disapointed overall because upon arriving we discovered that all cask beers were unavailable. Didn't ask why (sold out, cask problems, who knows).

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

El Pinguino wrote:Stopped by Volo last night and enjoyed some of these sale items. As I do not visit Volo often, there were plenty of deals on beers I haven't had before.

I was disapointed overall because upon arriving we discovered that all cask beers were unavailable. Didn't ask why (sold out, cask problems, who knows).
Why didn't you ask? It's not a difficult question really. Anyway, there was no cask because it was all drunk by about 7pm. It was really busy between 5.30 and 7.00pm. You gotta get there early, especially when the cask, sorry pin, was a lovely fresh Hop Head from Durham. I helped it along with at least 7 pints of the stuff and my pals had a fair helping too. Sorry :P

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

El Pinguino wrote:Stopped by Volo last night and enjoyed some of these sale items. As I do not visit Volo often, there were plenty of deals on beers I haven't had before.

That's too bad. We were there on Thursday and they had the Granite Best Bitter on cask. It was great. I also enjoyed a hop rod rye from the sale list, and would recommend this great beer to anyone.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ahhh, no worries. Enjoyed many good brews, I'm glad you guys managed to get in on the casks though.

So I take it empty casks can be fairly common if heading to Volo on a weekend? Not as easy as replacing an empty keg I suppose, options and quantities are limited.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Went by after a trip to the Bike show on Saturday. Enjoyed the afternoon, had a pint of Vlaams Rood, then split a bottle of Hop Rod with my friend whom I'm working on turning into a beerophile. It was interesting walking up Yonge after we left with nary a vehicle in sight.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole