Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

pubs/bars that serve cask ale in Ontario

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

davefungi wrote:Bow & Arrow stopped serving cask for the summer.
Which Summer was that then? :evil:

vistaway

Post by vistaway »

Ned Devine's in Milton no longer has any cask (it's been a long time since they did...4-5 years perhaps).

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

On a 'time marches on' note:
Mike and Carol Clements, the owners of The Copper Kettle in Fergus have retired and sold the pub to a couple of regulars from the Breadalbane pub up the road. My understanding is the cask line is no longer operating and the fact that Keith's is already on the tap lineup should tell you the direction the place is going. :roll: Last I heard, Mike and Carol were moving up to around the area where Charles MacLean's new brewery is located near Hanover/Durham so there is hope for new pub yet! Good luck Mike and Carol.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I was at Betty's last night and they have Arkell Bitter back on cask, although they had run out of their current supply. Kinda stopped drinking that one for awhile but I'd like to see how it tastes these days.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I was up in Ottawa this weekend and visited two old favourites. Unfortunately I have nothing good to report:

1. The Arrow and Loon has three working beer engines. Two cask ales were on offer - Sgt Major and Arkell Bitter. The Sarge was undrinkably sour - basically a glass of beer vinegar. When I attempted to send it back the server said "oh no, it is supposed to taste that way. I don't know why we even carry it because it is always like that". I was stunned. Why even carry cask beer if you have that level of indifference/ignorance? But I persisted and they replaced it with a pint of Arkell, which was less infected but still far from good. This has been my experience the last few times at this place -- I'd be interested in how the Ottawa guys find it.

2. The Barley Mow still has a beer engine but, according to the bar man, it has not been in use in a few years. Curiously, they also have a fake beer engine immediately beside it, serving keg Fuller's London Pride.

What with the above and the removal of the beer engine at the Black Tomato, is there real ale left anywhere in the city of Ottawa?

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

midlife crisis wrote:This has been my experience the last few times at this place -- I'd be interested in how the Ottawa guys find it.
Cask at the Loon has been bad for years. I've long given up trying it there anymore. It's just not worth the hassle. Instead we just stick with Tankhouse or St. Amboise Pale.

I can't remember the last time I had a good cask ale anywhere in town.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

midlife crisis wrote:1. The Arrow and Loon ... I'd be interested in how the Ottawa guys find it.
I've found real ale in Ottawa to be largely miss and miss with the rare hit. As far as I know, the other places with real ale are:
- The Swan in Carp: carries Heritage/Scotch Irish; sometimes good but a lovely pub with good food nonetheless
- The Cheshire Cat, Carp Road and Richardson Sideroad: carries Heritage/Scotch Irish; one for two so far, but that one was ok and not stellar. another lovely country pub
- Clocktower Brewpub, Bank and 417: has cask Wishart's Bitter from time to time, generally in good shape but not the most interesting of beers

As for the Arrow and Loon, it's been a while since I've been there but I generally avoid the casks for the reasons already mentioned.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Sorry to resurrect this long-dead thread, but I felt it worthy of mention that (contrary to my year-old post at the start of the thread) the Magpie will very soon have cask ale. I was in there last night and noticed a handpump behind the bar. After inquiring about it, I was told that they are very excited and it should be up and running sometime in the next two weeks. No word as to what the cask offering will be (but based on the other taps they have, I would say either something from Durham, perhaps Mike Duggan, perhaps MacLeans).

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Since we're on the topic, Betty's no longer has cask ale. I'm going to walk across the street today and see if The Dominion has it yet.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Since we're on the topic, Betty's no longer has cask ale
Damn, on rare occasions when I did stop in there, it was usually quite good.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Malcolm wrote:Since we're on the topic, Betty's no longer has cask ale. I'm going to walk across the street today and see if The Dominion has it yet.
Betty's only normally has cask on during the Winter, early Spring

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Malcolm wrote:Since we're on the topic, Betty's no longer has cask ale. I'm going to walk across the street today and see if The Dominion has it yet.
Were you able to get over to the Dominion today? Any word on the status of the cask?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

velovampire wrote:Were you able to get over to the Dominion today? Any word on the status of the cask?
I just popped over and talked to Sean and no, it's not on yet. He's got the space for it but he's waiting until after the jazz festival (which The Dom. is part of). He wants to make sure the staff properly knows what it is, how to pour it etc., before he offers it up so it looks to be a few months away.

But, Mike Duggan's #9 is going on tap very soon (the rep was mentioning the possibility of 500ml bottles later this summer) and Sean said he's pulling Guiness off tonight and if I get my way it'll be replaced by Welly Imperial Stout!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Malcolm wrote:
velovampire wrote:Were you able to get over to the Dominion today? Any word on the status of the cask?
I just popped over and talked to Sean and no, it's not on yet. He's got the space for it but he's waiting until after the jazz festival (which The Dom. is part of). He wants to make sure the staff properly knows what it is, how to pour it etc., before he offers it up so it looks to be a few months away.

But, Mike Duggan's #9 is going on tap very soon (the rep was mentioning the possibility of 500ml bottles later this summer) and Sean said he's pulling Guiness off tonight and if I get my way it'll be replaced by Welly Imperial Stout!
Niiiiice!

Spab

Post by Spab »

As mentioned on the thread about the Queen and Beaver, they have a cask (the Wellington Arkell) although when I was in on Monday it was still settling. As well, I heard that the Ceili Cottage (which I'd heard was supposed to open this weekend but I don't believe did) will offer cask ale as one of their selections as well. No clue what they're planning on having on the cask. Too bad it's not yet open but I guess it would have been too much to hope for - two new spots with cask ale opening in the City within the span of a week.