Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Star: Best Beer Bars, Bar None

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Pub Style
Bar Fly

The Star: Best Beer Bars, Bar None

Post by Pub Style »

Nicely done article by Josh detailing/suggesting the best beer places in the GTA.

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/460804

After reading this article, I'm sitting at work craving a good pub right now with a good book. Thanks Josh!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I'm surprised Ciro's, Cloak & Dagger and the Magpie didn't get at least an honourable mention. While none are particularly noted for their food (Magpie still doesn't serve any) the places are all decent locales to find quality beer at an affordable price.

Otherwise a very handy guide for newbies and visitors. I'd suggest posting this in the beer guide section on the main page for future reference.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Home run! The guy knows his stuff. Keep it up, Josh!

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Has Smokeless Joe's fallen that far that it's only getting an Honourable Mention, or has everyone else just caught up and surpassed it? Three or four years ago it would have been at or near the top of the list.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Bobbyok wrote:Has Smokeless Joe's fallen that far that it's only getting an Honourable Mention, or has everyone else just caught up and surpassed it? Three or four years ago it would have been at or near the top of the list.
I was in SJ's a week or so ago. I think it has fallen AND I think new places have cropped up that surpass it. When I came to town in 2000 most of the places on Josh's list either didn't exist or weren't offering the selection they have now. SJ's stood largely alone. It also had a vast stock of stuff that was private/special order and was one of the few places to do so at that time. My recent visit was a little sad since I was confronted by a VERY pared back beer list (every beer on it is available at the LCBO). Even the chalk board featured mostly seasonal LCBO offerings and only a half dozen or so private order beers (many of which are available at several other places in town now). The prices were always an issue (these days many of SJ's offerings are 20-50% cheaper at other bars that stock them) and the tap list is often uninspiring.

So yes, IMHO both the rise of new beer bars and the general shrinkage of stock at SJ's merits it slipping down in to "honourable mention" status.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

crawler

Post by crawler »

I concur with the prices there being way too high compared to other beer bars around town. I also think they need to expand their draft list a bit, and actually make use of their cask pump, which just sits there unused most of the time. While I love the mussels there (possibly the best in town?), I simply couldn't afford to go there on a regular basis.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Jon Walker wrote:I'm surprised Ciro's, Cloak & Dagger and the Magpie didn't get at least an honourable mention. While none are particularly noted for their food (Magpie still doesn't serve any) the places are all decent locales to find quality beer at an affordable price.
It has been a while since I have been out there, but last time I was at Ciro's the food was pretty great actually. Very tasty asian dishes, and great portion sizes for the price.

re: Smokeless Joe's there are umpteen threads on Bartowel that talk about why the prices are what they are at the various places around town so I won't rehash them here.

I do agree that as the article points out, you can now get what was once a very exclusive experience at other places in town at lower cost. For me personally Smokeless has become a "when I'm in the neighbourhood" place rather than the kind of place I used to trek all the way from Mississauga to go to. That said, I have been craving a visit for some chowder and a brew. Yumm!... dammit now I'm hungry again! :wink:

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Always been a big fan of John Maxwell's establishments. If I read him right, Josh Rubin stated that Fuller's London Porter is sometimes available at Dora Keough's in cask form (real ale or so I assumed from the context). Is that so, or would it be keg beer pulled through a handpump?

Gary

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

old faithful wrote:Always been a big fan of John Maxwell's establishments. If I read him right, Josh Rubin stated that Fuller's London Porter is sometimes available at Dora Keough's in cask form (real ale or so I assumed from the context). Is that so, or would it be keg beer pulled through a handpump?
I asked Josh that exact question at Victory on the weekend and he said that he had confirmed it was an actual cask.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Thanks, that is great news.

Gary

Trafikker

Post by Trafikker »

I too was surprised to see no mention of Ciro's and the Cloak. However, he seems to have stuck to the "higher end" places in the article.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

It’s nice to see the Castle on King getting a mention in the article. Hopefully, they can dethrone the Winking Judge as the “Best Bar in Ontario” at this year’s Golden Tap awards. It’s really hands down in my opinion, you get a better beer selection without a “grumpy” owner.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Not to be overly negative, as I know a few here are still big fans, but I think Smokeless has unfortunately declined markedly. For me it's not so much the pricing but, as Jon points out, the selection - very little to nothing that isn't already available to a fairly dedicated Ontario beer buyer. They used to have lots of exclusives, but no longer (at least when I have visited). I also miss the foreign-student staff members, and the great blues.

Trafikker

Post by Trafikker »

I was by the Magpie on the weekend and it looks like they were out of about 50% of their draught beer. Don't know how long that's been going on though. What was left wasn't bad but it certainly was only worth a drop in on my way home from the Cloak.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Trafikker wrote:I was by the Magpie on the weekend and it looks like they were out of about 50% of their draught beer. Don't know how long that's been going on though. What was left wasn't bad but it certainly was only worth a drop in on my way home from the Cloak.
I've noticed the same over the last half-dozen times I've been as well. Disappointing, as it used to be a definite destination spot for me - now it's more of a "only when I'm in the area" kind of place. They also seem to have dropped many of the more interesting beers that used to draw me there - the frequent availability of SI brews, Grand River stuff, Church Key - more "off the beaten-path" stuff....now it seems to mainly be stuff you can get at any decent bar.....
Still a good spot, and if I lived a bit closer, I could see it being my local, but certainly not as good as it was a year ago, and not really worth the trip if you're equidistant to any one of Volo, C'est What, Cloak, the Rhino, Mill St. brewpub, etc. I find myself hitting up Press Club more and more often now - amazing back patio and a few decent draught options in Black Oak Pale and Denison's and a few of the Nickelbrook brews.
Sad, because in last year's Golden Taps I voted for Magpie for best draught selection, but I could not bring myself to do the same in good conscience this year...