Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Craft Beers of the World at Fionn MacCool’s

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Craft Beers of the World at Fionn MacCool’s

Post by GregClow »

From September 8th to November 30th, all locations of Fionn MacCool’s and other Prime Pubs across Ontario are running a special "Craft Beers of the World" promotion, featuring the following four beers and one cider (all info, including descriptions, taken from a Prime Pubs press release):

Brooklyn Lager, Brooklyn, New York: Created by a former journalist and banker, this lager started out being sold from the back of a truck. A Vienna-style lager with an amber gold colour and a floral aroma. (16 oz/ABV 5.2%)

Anchor Steam Ale, San Francisco, California: In business since 1896, the Anchor Brewing Co introduced their ale in 1975. A dry-hopped ale with medium bitterness and a subtle flavour of caramel. (12oz/ABV 4.9%)

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware: This IPA heralds from Delaware’s first brewpub. An East Coast beer known for its citrus hop character. (12oz/ABV 6%)

Bulmer’s Dry English Cider, Hereford, England: In 1887, a family recipe and family apple orchard resulted in the birth of traditional cider. Bulmer’s is stone pressed and delivers a crisp, clean flavour. (19oz/ABV 4.5%)

Fischer Tradition Ale, Schiltigheim, France: Renowned for their brewing tradition since 1821, Fishcer Brewery makes traditional ale characterized by a rich head, round flavour and fruity aroma. (22oz/ABV 6%)

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Interesting! I guess I'll have to get my Dogfish fix there, as I can't find it in stores.
I never visit those faux Irish places but hopefully that lineup will make a permanent impression and chase some of the macro swill.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

There were a couple of sixers left at Dufferin and Wilson an hour ago.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

midlife crisis wrote:There were a couple of sixers left at Dufferin and Wilson an hour ago.
Thanks - I've only checked out Queens Quay and Brock St. and they both said it's flying off the shelves, which is great. I did track one down at The Rhino though.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

I went to Fionn MacCool's yesterday and, sure enough, their menu advertises "Anchor Steam Ale". What they gave me though was the regular Anchor Steam Beer, a lager.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

TwoPint wrote:I went to Fionn MacCool's yesterday and, sure enough, their menu advertises "Anchor Steam Ale". What they gave me though was the regular Anchor Steam Beer, a lager.
Actually, Anchor Steam is considered by many to be a hybrid - lager yeasts, but fermentation at warmer ale temperatures.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

"Anchor Steam beer is a craft-brewed lager"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_beer

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

TwoPint wrote:"Anchor Steam beer is a craft-brewed lager"
Yeah, 'cause wikipedia is a definitive source of beer knowledge.

Also from that page:

"Steam Beer uses bottom fermenting lager yeasts at ale temperatures, which results in a very distinctive flavor profile that includes both ale and lager characteristics."

"The style 'showcases the signature Northern Brewer hops (with woody, rustic or minty qualities) in moderate to high strength', is fermented with 'a lager yeast, but one that was selected to thrive at the cool end of normal ale fermentation temperatures', and was traditionally fermented in large, shallow, open fermenters called coolships."

(emphasis mine)

-Josh

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

detritus wrote:

Also from that page:

"Steam Beer uses bottom fermenting lager yeasts at ale temperatures, which results in a very distinctive flavor profile that includes both ale and lager characteristics."

"The style 'showcases the signature Northern Brewer hops (with woody, rustic or minty qualities) in moderate to high strength', is fermented with 'a lager yeast, but one that was selected to thrive at the cool end of normal ale fermentation temperatures', and was traditionally fermented in large, shallow, open fermenters called coolships."

(emphasis mine)

-Josh
Is that not accurate? I'm not sure myself, although I think I once read about the process as described by Michael Jackson.

If it's not accurate, you should edit the article!

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

shintriad wrote:
detritus wrote:

Also from that page:

(emphasis mine)

-Josh
Is that not accurate? I'm not sure myself, although I think I once read about the process as described by Michael Jackson.

If it's not accurate, you should edit the article!
Yeah, I think it's accurate. I was just pointing out (a) that wikipedia isn't neccesarily 100% reliable, and (b) that even the page cited made it clear that the ale/lager issue wasn't totally cut and dry.

All that said, if the beer available was in fact the Anchor Steam Beer, it should have been labelled that way on the menu.

-Josh

14me&you

Post by 14me&you »

It's nice that Fionn's is finally featuring some craft brews. Unfortunately they don't seem to realize that Canada has selection of craft beers that are just as good or better than the one's chosen. It's about time these Canadian company's started to support their own - and they would not be sacrificing any quality in doing so!

14me&you

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The Prime restaurant group, who own FM, are in fact great supporters of Canadian beer. When was the last time you visited one of their pubs? I'm not here to defend them but a post which is 1 1/2 months out of date and casts aspersions on what is a mainstream pub chain which does try to carry a great assortment of domestic and international beers is a bit out of touch. What location of Fionn MacCool's did you last visit and when did you do so? Have you been to the Biermarkt on King or the Esplanade Biermarkt. Just interested since you seem to think they are are somehow below standard insofar as supporting domestic products. Nothing wrong with having an opinion...now back it up. If you're going to diss them then tell us specifically where they are wanting. I don't mean any offence here but I also don't want establishments which support good beer slammed for no good reason. Is your selection of domestic beers wanting in some way as I am sure we can all give you numerous suggestions of establishments which might be more attuned to your Canadian-centric vision of the beer world. I am a great supporter of "think globally and drink locally" but not at the exclusion of great beers from all over the world. It's all good.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Not defending them? Right. And even though the poster was talking about Fionn MacC's, you managed to drag The Biermarkets into it. Hell, why not include East Side Mario's or Casey's? Same owner. "Great assortment of domestic...beers..." Really? 'Cause the last time I was in a Fionn's, I didn't see any Black Oak Pale, any Neustadt Lager, any Hop Addict. So yeah , they clearly aren't up to "standard insofar as supporting domestic products."
"...now back it up." No, you back it up. You're defending them. Tell me what they have that makes them so great, makes me want to drink there.
"...I also don't want establishments which support good beer slammed for no good reason. " Good beer, or your beer?

Then you go on to insult the poster's knowledge of domestic beers. Nice.
"It's all good." No it's not. There are so many ways you could've responded politely, but instead you were just a dick.

Sanchex

Post by Sanchex »

is it just me or is it getting a little hot in here?

14me&you

Post by 14me&you »

esprit wrote:The Prime restaurant group, who own FM, are in fact great supporters of Canadian beer. When was the last time you visited one of their pubs? I'm not here to defend them but a post which is 1 1/2 months out of date and casts aspersions on what is a mainstream pub chain which does try to carry a great assortment of domestic and international beers is a bit out of touch. What location of Fionn MacCool's did you last visit and when did you do so? Have you been to the Biermarkt on King or the Esplanade Biermarkt. Just interested since you seem to think they are are somehow below standard insofar as supporting domestic products. Nothing wrong with having an opinion...now back it up. If you're going to diss them then tell us specifically where they are wanting. I don't mean any offence here but I also don't want establishments which support good beer slammed for no good reason. Is your selection of domestic beers wanting in some way as I am sure we can all give you numerous suggestions of establishments which might be more attuned to your Canadian-centric vision of the beer world. I am a great supporter of "think globally and drink locally" but not at the exclusion of great beers from all over the world. It's all good.
Sorry for not posting earlier about this topic. While I joined a while ago I just started posting last week. Not that it matters though - my post is still relevant - the promotion is apparently on until the end of November. If you must know - the last location I visited was the one at St. Clair and Yonge (though I don't think that is relevant to my post). I also do know that both Biermarkt's have better selection then the many Fionn MacCool's. I do believe that Fionn's have a low standard in carrying domestic products http://www.primepubs.com/media/pdf/Prim ... pdf#page=9 That is a link to their menu - know what do you think? I think I did state "where they are wanting" - it is in there lack of domestic craft beers. Sorry if I didn't back it up enough for you in my previous post - just read their menu I think you'll see what I mean. I didn't "slam" Fionn's - I was stating a fact - not an opinion - a fact. I also didn't state they should only carry Canadian beers - nor do I have a "Canadian - centric" vision of the beer world. I enjoy many beers from around the world - but I do like to have good local beer - but I wouldn't support them if they were not of good quality. The point of my post is that Fionn's wouldn't of sacrificed any quality if they chose Canadian Craft Beers. oh yes - I nearly forgot - It's all good.