Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Castle on King Closing

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Castle on King Closing

Post by Rob Creighton »

Unfortunetly, the Castle on King will close on Dec 12th. Harold & Deanna have been unable to secure a deal to purchase the building with the owner and he has been raping them on the lease so Harold has decided to close up shop.

This is a huge blow to good beer in this area and leaves Kitchener without a single even decent tap house :cry: As far as I know, Harold will have to take some time to regroup so a re-opening is not on the immediate horizon. If you get a chance and are in the area, try and pop in for a pint before the 12th.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Terrible terrible news

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

very unfortunate it will most certainly be missed, what are the plans for the executioners ale??

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

That's awful news. I never got to visit this fine establishment and was really much looking forward to.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

D'oh, that sucks.

Hopefully Harold & co wind up on their feet and find a new location.

Rob, does this mean that there will be no more Executioner? or will GRBC work on a deal with Harold to brew it for sale while his restaurant is closed?
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

This is sad news. While its the loss of a good place to grab a beer, I think more importantly its the loss of a livelihood and a lifetime's work for the owners. I wish them all the best in their future endeavours.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

That sucks. Unfortunately I've never made it out there (or tried the Executioner's), and it does really leave a big hole in the tri-city area.

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

That's terrible news! I'll have to make sure I get there sometime next week for some schnitzel and Executioner.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

That stinks. Not only was it a great place to sit an kill a few pints and the only place to get the Executioners, but it was the only place I knew of east of Toronto to get FRESH Scotch Irish beers on tap. Well that just ruins my day.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Really really shitty news.

Harold is quite the passionate guy when it comes to beer, so hopefully he will be able to do something else in the future. He was a gracious host, often taking time to talk beer for hours. I went to the Castle several times and have many fond memories of the place.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Wow, was having a pretty good day until this.

Terrible news for anyone in this area that has even the slightest interest in beer. I always loved going to the Castle whenever I was in Kitchener to grab a couple pints and some good food. Harold was always a fine host, knew his stuff, was passionate about beer and employed an equally knowledgeable, courteous and attentive staff.

Hopefully Harold takes some time off, does whatever he needs to do with his finances and is back on the scene in a short amount of time. The good beer industry needs people like him. You can bet I'll be stopping in a couple times in the next 2 weeks to say my goodbyes.

Here's a cheers to Harold and all the great people that made the Castle the best bar in K-W.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I can't believe this is happening. It makes this lame town that much more shitty of a place to live. Seriously. We're also fighting tooth and nail right now just to keep our Olympic sized pool at WLU open (the only one in the region), thus saving the hopes and dreams/livelihoods of so many people, neither the school nor the cities feel like coughing up enough dough to get the repairs done.

Now this horrible news just makes the worst time of year exponentially worse for me :roll: . My best wishes go out to Harold, his family, and everyone employed at the Castle.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

I'm going to be sick! :oops:

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Rob Creighton wrote:Unfortunetly, the Castle on King will close on Dec 12th. Harold & Deanna have been unable to secure a deal to purchase the building with the owner and he has been raping them on the lease so Harold has decided to close up shop.
It is bad news for us in the area but it has been coming for a while the owner of the property sees an opportunity in making it an apartment development property.

I hope Harold and Deanna chose to open in a new location but I don't think they will. There is no place in the KW area to get primo imports, wide variety of micros and cask ales.
This is a huge blow to good beer in this area and leaves Kitchener without a single even decent tap house :cry:

Well that's not true as the Huether is still operating and is expanding their seasonal offerings...it may not be fancy but it's fresh and well crafted micro brew.

Rob did you ever get to try their blueberry?
Aventinus rules!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

That news sucks. Can't really find a more erudite way to say it.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.