Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Griffin Gastropub - Bracebridge

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

The Griffin Gastropub - Bracebridge

Post by GregClow »

I haven't been there myself, but I got the following email from Jed Corbiel, co-owner of the Griffin Gastropub up in Bracebridge, and it sounds like a great place:

"We are a bar that serves strictly Ontario made craft beer. Presently we carry 45 different beers from across Ontario. No Molson, No Labatt - only micros. I am trying to get into the beer world more and more as we progress at the bar.

For example, every month, my partner Curt and I head off on the road to tour a different brewery and meet with the brewmaster to discuss their beer. Then we feature said brewery at our bar for a month, our "brewery of the month" and we sell all of the bottles offered by the brewery and at least 2 taps. We then have a "Brewmaster's Dinner" where we invite the brewmaster to Bracebridge and host a 4 course gourmet dinner with every course paired with one of their beers. Our chef works with the brewmaster all month and does a weekly tasting with our staff for pairing ideas. It always sells out and is always a lot of fun."

Anyone been there?

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

I was actually supposed to stop in there tonight for the Mill Street dinner that his brother Sam (Mill St brewer) is hosting, but plans changed and I can't make it. I spoke with Jed today and the place will be shut down from Jan 1 until Jan 14 for some renovations.

Bill Perrie wrote a profile in the latest TAPS issue about a recent visit he paid the pub. He had great things to say about it.

Bob from Grand River did a dinner there in October and it sounded like it went extremely well.

I plan on catching up with Jed and Curt on Friday and should have a post on my blog sometime next week.

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

I was at the Griffin Gastropub last Thursday with my wife. The food was excellent (had a buffalo burger) and the beer taps and bottles were all craft brews. I enjoyed Muskoka Wheat, Black Oak Nut Brown and Flying Monkeys Hoptical Illusion, all on tap!

At 9pm, the owners Jed and Kurt, entertained the crowd playing acoustic guitar, base and bango, and they both sang as well for over two hours. There was even another acoustic guitar player and a drummer that joined in. This is quite the feat considering the size of this place (think Smokeless Joe's but not as narrow). They do this every Thursday. They have various entertainment on other nights as well. We stayed at the Inn at the Falls which is literally a 2 minute walk away.

They feature a different craft brewery every month which inludes a beer dinner the last Sunday of that month featuring brews from that brewery. These guys are really passionate about craft brews and running a fun bar. The locals were sure having a great time singing along. So were the waitresses.

If you're on your way to Algonguin Park sometime, or just want to get out of the city for something different, check out this place. It's only about 3 hours away and I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Did I mention the two waitresses were smokin' hot?!

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

My wife and I stopped in here for lunch on the weekend. Fantastic food, reasonably priced and a REALLY nice selection of all Ontario Microbrews, including Duggan's #5 and #9.

I had a Muskoka Harvest Ale which is phenomenal.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I discovered this place over the summer. Totally loved it. I'd be there everyday if I lived in Bracebridge. Have a person connection to Jed, the owner as well, great guy, doing good things for the Ontario beer scene. Definitely stop by (multiple times) if you're in cottage country.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

I made it to the Griffin Pub in Bracebridge on Saturday.

Enjoyed a couple of Sawdust City's Pale Wheat. Food was good, too.

That evening, they were having a parking lot party ( as they do every Saturday of a long weekend ) with a great variety of craft beers from all over Ontario. They served from small trailers and the selection was different than that inside.
They even had Amber Brewing IPA, ( from Markham, I think ) and Kilannan, from Owen Sound area.
Impressive selection, but I was unable to stay for the party, so never got to try these.

Never heard of Amber Brewing.
Kilannan is new and was mentioned previously on the Bar Towel.