Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Good Pubs in the Beach?

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I receive many e-mails about the lack of coverage of the Beach on the site. Unfortunately, it is an area that is very far away for me, and I rarely get out there.

So I'm hoping for a little help on this one - what are some good pubs in the Beach I can use to populate a Beach page in the Good Pub Guide?

I've been to Castro's, which I did a review for. An e-mail sent to me today also mentioned Murphy's Law at Queen E. & Kingston and 2066 on Queen E.

Anything else? Thanks for your help on this.

Cass

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cass on 2001-07-31 14:46 ]</font>

freesia

Post by freesia »

Near Vic Park and Kingston (on Kingston Rd.) there's a pub called Feathers which does its own brewing...I think they have a website if you'd like to see more info. As for pubs along Queen St. E....The Lion On the Beach is probably one of the more popular. Decent food and decent beer selection, but no microbrews. That's closer down to the Woodbine end of Queen. Another one further east called Quigleys has been highly recommended to me, and I think they have some of the McAuslan brews on tap...I've yet to check it out, but might make it a trip this weekend.
There's a few for ya...sorry I can't be a bit more informative...I'll try to post more about these at another date.

Kim

Publican

Post by Publican »

Fresia, Feathers Pub does not brew it's own brew, it ferments on site, the actual brewing takes place at Lakeside B.O.P(brew on premise).

freesia

Post by freesia »

Hi Publician,
I was just posting the exact information which I found on the website for Feathers pub, which states that it "brews and serves" its own beer at the pub. I haven't actually been there yet to explore.
Anyhow, your correction is appreciated.

Kim

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Though I'm not sure they should be claiming outright that they brew their own beer on-site when they don't, such distinctions are generally of little value to the average consumer. I don't think it takes away from the beer. I mean, Liefmans Goudenband is brewed and fermented at seperate locations. Does this make it a lesser beer? And it's not like the house beers at Feather's are available anywhere else.

It all seems a little too anal for me to worry about such distinctions, which really only apply in two cases in Toronto and nowhere else in North America (to my knowledge).

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the replies. I've added a section for The Beach:

http://www.bartowel.com/regions/beach.phtml

Murphy

Post by Murphy »

Hey don't forget Murphy's Law at Queen St. and Kingston Rd.. Definately the friendliest of pubs in the beaches area that I have found. Lots of room and a big patio out front. I also heard that they are planning a roof top patio this summer, a Beach first!