Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cam's Place (formerly Mad Monty's)

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

$

Cam's Place (formerly Mad Monty's)

Post by $ »

I noticed Mad Monty's (north of yonge & Eglinton) closed down after 15 years. Paper on the door says it will reopen mid-February with new owners.

Anyone heard anything?

It's right near my home, but since the only thing I liked on tap was Guinness, I didn't drop by too much.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I heard that the owner was a bit....."crazy".
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Although it is probably the physically closest bar to my place, I was turned off when mice were scurrying at my feet one night a while back.

$

Post by $ »

The new owner is "crazy"?
Or was the old owner "mad"? Was his name Monty?

As for the mice, they always had a good mouse curry. it was cheap don't knock it

Images

Post by Images »

That place has gone through a bunch of 'themes' with that upstairs space that they own/run.

$

Post by $ »

Just walked by, still closed but a menu is in the window. Cam's Place, Bar & Lounge (I think). No beers listed.

$

Post by $ »

looks like they will open soon

http://camsplace.net/menu.html

so nothing great on tap, couple of interesting things in bottle

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Denisons is listed with the White beers, not the draught list. Is this just some strategic product placement or is Denisons being bottled now?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I believe that part of the reason Michael moved production to Cool was so he could finally start bottling. Maybe he's quietly done so.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

GregClow wrote:I believe that part of the reason Michael moved production to Cool was so he could finally start bottling. Maybe he's quietly done so.
I was talking about this with my wife over a Denison's last night. We agreed that the dunkel would be our preferred candidate for bottling. I may be wrong, but our thinking is that it would be easier to maintain its quality level once its on the shelves (and its also the wife's favourite).

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Bobsy wrote:I was talking about this with my wife over a Denison's last night. We agreed that the dunkel would be our preferred candidate for bottling. I may be wrong, but our thinking is that it would be easier to maintain its quality level once its on the shelves (and its also the wife's favourite).
I love the Dunkel but...

Summer is coming. Sun. Cottage. Deck. Chair. Denison's Weisse. 8)
lister

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Hate to be a party pooper, but I've gotten word that Michael/Denison's isn't bottling yet.

So I suspect the beer list on the Cam's site is a provisional/"wishful thinking" list.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Anyone been to this Cams Place spot?

$

Post by $ »

El Pinguino wrote:Anyone been to this Cams Place spot?
Yes, first week it opened.
On tap they had Cameron's Auburn, Blanch de Chambly, but for some crazy reason I ordered a 50 as a joke. Joke was on me.
I had the fish and chips, it started out ok, but it was catfish and I can only take so much catfish.
Radio was on blasting, wasn't in the right mood. Haven't been back.
One sunny day when I'm ok with blasting music, I'll have a pint on the patio or by a window.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

with this much beer, people should at least be aware of it
Greg or Bobsy can you submit to BA?
I will do same on RB