Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Queen and Beaver Pub opens Monday

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

The prices quoted on here by a few certainly go against the 'mantra' of the mini-site:

"All at a price that won't break the bank This is not Posh Nosh but rather classic British dishes (sic)".

$10.00 for a pint of cask ale, and $15 - $18 for a main. Maybe if you're used to drinkin' and eating in London :o

Pie and a pint in my local back in Liverpool was roughly $11.00, add in 3 big chunks of cheese and it'd come to $20. That's proper 'pub food".
Last edited by Torontoblue on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Though I am getting a little concerned with the price of a pint these days. Pints are going to be $10 dollars soon, and that is simply way too much for what is supposed to be a laymans drink to be enjoyed anytime.
Funnily enough Len, we were talking about the price of pints the other night down at Volo, and how everywhere else in the world (virtually) it's seen as a 'working class' past-time, and the prices are kept relatively low so the masses can enjoy and not break themselves. Yet in Ontario it's seen as an absolute privilege and we are really gouged and made to pay top dollar for sociable past-time.

Yet another stealth tax on the working man which just passes the majority by.

Apologies for going slightly off topic.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

For what it's worth, I did see my first $10 pint recently - and that's before tax and tip. It was at C'est What (on the regular menu at the time of the Spring Festival) for a full pint of something very strong that you likely wouldn't want a full pint of - though I can't recall what beer it was for.

Still, it was impressive!

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

$8.50 for a Guinness pre tax and tip in the St. Louis under my house! :o

Spab

Post by Spab »

Got in for a quick drink at the Queen and Beaver after work this week. It's an interesting place with a nice lounge area on the second floor and a decent-sized patio overlooking the street on the same floor which was quite nice. Thought the room on the main floor was a little odd, but maybe when there's more people it will seem more natural. Beers have been mentioned above - not a bad selection (although I was in on the Monday when Denison's and Creemore were available). I didn't have a chance to eat. The menu sounded good, if a little pricey in a few places ($17 chicken caesar salad?). Has anyone eaten there yet?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I've eaten there a couple of times, and the food is fantastic.

The menu is still in flux in terms of items and pricing.

More in my TasteTO profile, which should be going up on Tuesday, assuming I get it written in time...

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I just joined this site, but here is the review I posted on ChowHound after going for dinner last Tuesday (2nd day it was open):

I went for dinner tonight and I enjoyed it. Not the best restaurant in town, but certainly on another level than standard pub food. They only had 2 beers on tap - Dennison's Weizen (excellent wheat beer) and Creemore Lager, plus they had Wellington Arkel on cask. They said they were going to be getting more in this Thursday. On their beer list they had several Canadian microbrews including McAuslan Cream Ale and St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. The one thing to note is they are slightly more expensive than other places with the cask beer being $8/pint and draft $7/pint.

For food I had the duck leg with some type of curry sauce ($17). It wasn't the best duck I've ever had, but it was tasty. My friend had ordered the mussels with fries ($11). I tried one of the mussels and it was fresh and was a pretty good value for the portion size.

The place has serious potential as long as the food & beer list stay interesting.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Just a quick update on the Q&B: I was there for lunch earlier this week, and there have been a few menu adjustments. The cask ale is now $7, same as all the draught beers, and I believe a few of the food items had been dropped in price as well.

Also, while they previously had Chiswick Bitter on tap, I think it's been changed to London Pride.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Favourable review in this week's NOW.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I went recently and had a good time. Only discordant note was the cask Arkell Bitter, which was not good at all. Not sure if this is a comment on the pub or the current state of Wellington Brewery, but the beer was thin and unpleasant. We quickly switched to Fuller's Chiswick. Hope they'll consider perhaps changing to a Durham cask ale. Everything else was great!

TJ

Post by TJ »

midlife crisis wrote:I went recently and had a good time. Only discordant note was the cask Arkell Bitter, which was not good at all. Not sure if this is a comment on the pub or the current state of Wellington Brewery, but the beer was thin and unpleasant. We quickly switched to Fuller's Chiswick. Hope they'll consider perhaps changing to a Durham cask ale. Everything else was great!
The Arkell I had there wasn't good. The next closest thing to water (and frankly, if the Chiswick is anything like it was when I had it at Volo, I could say the same about that). Oh well. Luckily the Denison's Weissbier was as good as ever and hit the spot perfectly on a really hot day.

I didn't go there for the food so I can't say much about it, but I did get an order of chips to snack on which came with a really nice ketchup that had some kind of cardamom thing going on that was just fantastic.

I'd go back if I had a reason to be in the area or to give it a go for dinner, the atmosphere is great, but as a beer destination it wasn't my thing. To be fair, though, the beer selection is appropriate for what they are going for. Just, as I said, not my thing and there are a bunch of places higher up on the list for me.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Critical review in this morning's Star.

TJ

Post by TJ »

Another critical review from the Globe and Mail.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

First visit today. Not cheap but the three of us had a most enjoyable time on the second-floor patio. We all had the haddock and chips and it was excellent. The cask Arkell was quite nice.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Positive review in Saturday's National Post. Focused on the pub atmosphere. Passing reference to the food.